The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-07-2002, 02:30 PM   #1
70 longbed

Gas tank options

I am relatively new to the board, and I see where everyone likes the option of the blazer tank for relocating to the rear. There must be some other options. I heard someone talk about a Camaro tank. Are there any proven methods other than the Blazer tank, either original or poly, that can be recommended?

I am looking at the side marker light, or tailight options for filling. I have the marker light instructions and parts list, can anyone help with the tail light parts list?
70 longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 03:31 PM   #2
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

I have been looking into this as well. This type of thread pops of about every week. Here is what I have learned so far.

The blazer tank is a good and easy and relatively inexpensive swap. The bad thing I hear is that the tank hangs down pretty low and is not that appealing to the eye.

You can measure up your frame and head out to your local salvage yard and find something that fits. Who has time for that?

You can get aluminum or plastic tanks from Summit. They are pretty affordable and come in various colors.

You can buy a special aluminum tank that is a custom job for the frame. These are expensive...like around 450 dollars. But, in my opinion they do look the best and fit the best.

I still have not decided completely on what I will do. I would love to have that parts list for the side marker fill.

Do a search on the threads. It seems to me there was a thread just a couple days ago about the tailight filler. Big Orange did that I believe.

Good Luck and share with us what you decide.

Welcome to the board.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 03:43 PM   #3
70 longbed

Yeah, looked at all of the above options, and heard this thing about the Camaro tank, something that is readily available, and was looking for input.

Saw the tailight filler option on here, but there were no specifics. I think it was big orange that replied, but there was another pic that had the filler way up in the hole, maybe eliminating big oranges fill problems.
Old 11-07-2002, 03:54 PM   #4
70 longbed

Found the post, it was "efabman" and "hvychevy454" that posted to someone elses request gor information.

Just go back another day or so and you will find the post, the pics, and all the other info.
Old 11-07-2002, 08:50 PM   #5
Dandeluxe

Question REAR GAS TANK CONVERSION

I too am scratching my head on how i want to do the rear tank conversion. i dont have side lights so i dont want to cut my truck up. i guess ill run it by a couple of body men and see what they recommend. i like the side marker option the best so far like tennmans his is sweet but it looks like a lot of work. i wish some guys would let us know what hardware they are getting to do these gas door conversions, examples what kind of truck or car is the gas door hardware coming from? the spring hinge and how to rivet the flipper in etc. etc. ill probably go with a blazer tank poly with a gm wiring on the fuel gauge. i wonder how long the fuel line is for that conversion. and whats the best way to route the fuel lines and the vent lines etc. etc. :p

1969 cst swb corvette hugger orange with 400 hp sbc

I started out with nothing and i held on to it

Last edited by Dandeluxe; 11-07-2002 at 08:52 PM.
Dandeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 09:15 PM   #6
JDL

When I got my tank made out of stainless it was less expensive than the alum tank. But I have had it a couple years.

I like the stainless more than alum because it is stronger and wont corrode inside from the gas.

I have been looking for the booklet that came with it but havent found it yet. I think i got it from a place called "fat fenders" or something like that.

I should have it going again tomorrow so i can get you some more pics.
Agency Iowa

Last edited by JDL; 11-07-2002 at 09:21 PM.
JDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 11:42 PM   #7
Low69CST

http://www.low69cst.freeservers.com/Blazertank.htm

Thats my site, i put in the tank myself and wrote about it. I don't think it hangs down much at all, atleast for a lowered truck. Maybe on a lifted truck it would show. It wasn't very fun putting that tank in. It may have been if I didn't have the underside of my bed sandblasted and painted when i started hacking into with a saws all. Also haveng the bed on the truck didn't help either.
Quad Suspension and Dual Tanks
Low69CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 11:58 PM   #8
Terry S

Hi Guys,

I'm pretty new to the board, but I've noticed that this subject seems to come up quite a bit.

I went through all this as well and ultimately decided that I didn't like the way the blazer tank looked. I went to the local speed shop and had one built from aluminum. since I was able to have it made to the exact dimensions that I wanted, it doesn't hang down as far and holds more gas than the blazer tank. Installation took a little bit of head scratching, but it looks like it'll work out okay. I'm planning to fill it from behind the passenger side brake light, using a filler neck from a full size Chevy van. I haven't got the bed back on the truck yet, so that part is yet to come, but I think that most of the stock filler hardware will work out and will only require a couple of new pieces of connecting hose.

I've heard other people talk about the possibility of corrosion, but I work for a major aircraft manufacturer and I ran this by one of my friends in our engineering department and he said that the aluminum should be fine as long as I didn't use any gas with alcohol in it. That backs up my own observations. We've been putting bare aluminum gas tanks in the planes coming out of our piston engine division for years (They burn 100 octane aviation gasoline). On the other hand, if you think that you ever might want to start using gasahol I would definately stay away from aluminum.

I've got about $325.00 in the whole thing, including sending unit and a new autometer gas guage.

I got quite a few pictures of the whole thing (at least what's done so far). If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll try to figure out how to post them.

Good luck with whatwhatever you decide!
Old 11-08-2002, 12:05 AM   #9
adamls
Gotta Startem Early

We are always interested. That is why there are so many posts on the subject. Lets see those pics allready.
Old 11-08-2002, 10:59 AM   #10
70 longbed

Terry S,

If you cant get them posted, you could send them to my email:
shulkok@hqisec.army.mil

I am taking dimensions this weekend to have one made.

Can someone help me with thickness and type of aluminum used. What about thickness of stainless.

I went to the search feature, and looked at several pages of older posts. I should have been smart enough to do that earlier, but just wanted to see who was awake on the board. There is alot of good information on some of the older posts. Just use the search at the bottom of the page, then sift through pages of good information.
Old 11-08-2002, 07:27 PM   #11
DanoDMano
Pronounced "Pew-al-up"

Smile tank

I too am interested in doing this, and am very interested in what you have done. If you could email some pictures to me I would also appreciate it.

Daniel.e.ritola@boeing.com

1970 FS chevy,350/350, Edelbrock cam and intake. Holley 650 carb,HEI,AT,Tangier Orange, 18's,
Power Locks,

Truck Photos
DanoDMano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 10:36 PM   #12
DanoDMano
Pronounced "Pew-al-up"

Nice Tank Job

Thanks Terry S.. Those are some great photos, and I like what you are doing.
I think Im going to go with something like yours when I am ready to do it.
Very Custom.........

1970 FS chevy,350/350, Edelbrock cam and intake. Holley 650 carb,HEI,AT,Tangier Orange, 18's,
Power Locks,

Truck Photos
DanoDMano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 04:12 AM   #13
68racer
Yeah baby!

This is a link for the marker light fill http://www.classicheartbeat.com/mark...t_gas_door.htm
A new source for tanks is Jeeps, my buddy fitted one and it is a very good fit.
68racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 07:25 PM   #14
Terry S

Thanks DanoDMano, I still haven't figured out how to shrink those pictures enough to get them to post, but essentially what I did was just have a tank built to fit the hole. I scavenged about a jillion junk yards before I decided to go this route, and everything that I found either hung down too far or only held about 15 gallons or so. I would do a few things differently next time around, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.
Old 11-09-2002, 09:57 PM   #15
JDL

Do you see the tank?

Agency Iowa
Old 11-10-2002, 01:23 AM   #16
Terry S

JDL,

That looks great! That looks like almost the exact shape and size as mine, except the filler neck is on the other side. Just out of curiosity, how tall is it? Mine is eleven inches. I just guestimated that would be about right. Also, I left an access hole in the top, put the sending unit in the lid, and then baffled around the float so that it wouldn't bob up and down when the fuel sloshed around. Do you think that was neccesary or did I just create a lot of extra work for myself?
Old 11-10-2002, 01:54 AM   #17
Dandeluxe

GAS TANK ????????

TERRY S,
PLEASE SEND ME SOME PIC.S OF THAT TANK JOB E MAIL ADDRESS ddclux@aol.com
thanks, DAN

1969 cst swb corvette hugger orange with 400 hp sbc

I started out with nothing and i held on to it
Dandeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 02:19 AM   #18
Terry S

Dandelux,

They are on their way. If you (or anyone else that I sent them to) can figure out how to post them feel free, my computer literacy is about the equivalent of rubbing two sticks together.

I think that I may have already said this in another post, but if I were doing this again, there are a couple of things that I would do differently. I would have tabs welded to the tank to hang it from, like JDL's appears to have, but I would have also had the filler neck come out the side of the tank up where the side joins the top. this would have allowed me to raise the tank about 2 1/2 inches above the upper edge of the frame (with a little creative trimming of the bed cross members) so the bottom would have been sucked up even further. I also shouldn't have let the guys at the speed shop talk me into puting a sump with a bottom feed in it. After thinking about it a little more, I've decided that a siphon feed from the top into a much smaller sump would have worked just as well and would have looked a lot cleaner.

TJS
Old 11-10-2002, 01:48 PM   #19
gmc-rob

I am very impressed with the custom tanks you guys are building. Could you send me he pictures as well? Thank you Terry S. ROB

robert.r@shaw.ca
gmc-rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 04:25 PM   #20
JDL

and
Agency Iowa
Old 11-11-2002, 08:11 PM   #21
Terry S

pix

GMC-Rob, they are on their way
Old 11-11-2002, 09:58 PM   #22
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

terry S

If you don't mind, I'd like to have a set of the stuff your sending out. Tanks looks greatHoping to do mine this winter (or what the call winter down here). Thanks

email:wpalfrey@cableone.net

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 10:58 PM   #23
Terry S

they're on the way
Old 11-11-2002, 11:15 PM   #24
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Thanks

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 01:03 AM   #25
72C10chevy4x4
UK Wildcat Fan!

Terry, please forward me a copy of your pictures (nplc@helpyourstudent.com)-I'll resize and upload them as well as use them for ideas for my truck :-)

JDL-great looking tank! where is your filler at?

for those who have relocated their tanks-did you leave the OE tank and block it off for asthetic purposes (to look stock) or did you fill the filling hole with metal and blend in the body lines? I was thinking of cutting the top 6" of the filler tube off and welding it closed then mounting it so that it looks as if the original tank is operational. only reason would be for the 'stock' look (to offset some of the other changes).

I just pulled a 79 suburban tank but its not in very good shape-only paid twenty five dollars for it though-may follow your lead and make a custom aluminum tank.

thanks,
Paul
72C10chevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote