The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-14-2014, 10:08 PM   #1
mclaymannn

Hello from Ontario, Canada

While I have always enjoyed the past Chevy trucks I have owned, my membership to this forum comes by way of inheriting my latest truck, a 1985 Scottsdale with 80,000km.

Many years ago, while working in the print industry, my boss came to work driving the very truck I own today. From the day I saw the truck, I knew I wanted it… but the boss would never sell it, telling me it had sentimental value and that he had used the truck to move his fathers belongings using that same truck when his father had passed suddenly years prior. The truck was oil sprayed and hardly driven in the years that followed…

It wasn't until the spring of 2013 that I happened to see the truck parked out front of the business where I once worked. I popped in to inquire about the truck, seeing as my father was looking for just such a vehicle. To my surprise, my old boss said he had someone coming to look at it in 2 days. I informed him I would be back that night, with my father and cash. My father bought the truck that night and took it home.

My father drove that truck for the remainder of the summer and into the fall. In November of 2013, my father passed suddenly of a heart attack. He was a fit, strong man and his passing left us all shocked and saddened to say the least. It turns out that he left his tools (he was a sculptor and carpenter), the motorcycles we intended to build together (two CB 750s) and the grey truck to me. It is sadly ironic that I would find the same sentimental value in this truck and begin to understand why my boss didn't want to sell me it years before.

It wasn't until this week that I brought the little truck home to start to clean it up. I had stored it at my fathers, but due to some construction required on my fathers unfinished shop, the little grey truck had to come out of storage. It has so much character and simplicity, it makes my 2013 Tundra seem too refined to be a truck, LOL.

Now I find myself spending time, rubbing out the paint to clean off the sunburnt haze and thinking of my father. I plan to have this truck for many years to come, not necessarily to build a beast or restore to like new condition, but to simply enjoy what it reminds me of, both of my teen years and early twenties, as well as my father and the great times we spent on road trips, looking for the perfect truck.
Attached Images

mclaymannn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:29 PM   #2
Joe Pass

Re: Hello from Ontario, Canada

Cool Story and great memories....Welcome
Joe Pass is offline   Reply With Quote