The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2009, 09:21 PM   #1
1956cameo

?? about engine stamp numbers

My question is about the STAMPED #s on the front of the engine NOT the cast #s on the back of the engine. Those I know all about already.

On the v8 engines for 1956 what numbers were stamped on the front of the block? Is it the full VIN or is it the last 6 digits that make up the production number? Or is it even a number that resembles the VIN at all? If anyone could show pics of their stamp number on the front of the block that would really help. The reason why I ask is because there is a chance that a guy has my original engine to my Cameo truck and I want to know what was stamped on the block. Also I would like to see pics of stamps on the block to make sure he isnt just scraping the block smooth and then putting my numbers on there to make a profit off of me. If I have pics of other 56 265 block stampings I can make sure if he has it the numbers are stamped the way they should be (right size, font, etc..)

If anyone wants to give info or pic for any year 55-59 trucks that would help but what I am looking for the most is the information on 1956 chevy v8 trucks. Any information at all would be greatly appreciated.

Also he has some hydramatic engines for the 55-59 trucks for sale. What would be a good price for one? They are complete but no driveshaft, steering column or linkage. Also were they the same for all of those years or were they different for certain years? Also they look like they take a special yolk on the back is this true or does the regular yolk for manual trans trucks fit as well? Sorry for all of the questions just trying to make sure I have my ducks in a row before handing cash over.

Last edited by 1956cameo; 03-30-2009 at 05:40 PM.
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:55 PM   #2
1956cameo

Re: ?? about engine stamp numbers

I knew that this was a customizer crowd but thought I would have gotten at least a nibble on this. Any and I mean Any help on this at all would really help.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:02 PM   #3
57ToyBox

I'm having problems finding info that far back.
But maybe you can find some information in here that might help ya.
Good luck.

http://www.mortec.com/castnum.htm
57ToyBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:20 AM   #4
56hotrodred

Last time I looked up an engine identification number I just googled chevrolet engine block identification and got tons of responses and figured out that the engine in the truck I had just bought was a late 50's 283 and not a 327. I then bought a late 60's 327 and confirmed it by doing the same.

Some of the lists were very comprehensive and get detailed but most just gave a range of years for a particular number.

I am not being much help and for that I am sorry but I think if you google the internet you will find what you are looking for. I am sure there are guys on here who can spit that stuff out also and maybe they will chime in.

56hotrodred
56hotrodred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:30 AM   #5
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

I have a 265 from a 57. I'll look later today. You should also be interested in casting numbers and casting dates. The stamp is only part of year correct matching numbers cars and trucks.
Another good place to ask is
www.stovebolt.com
and
www.webrodder.com

I'm close enough so you could come by and look at the stamping if you wanted.

Last edited by dwcsr; 03-30-2009 at 08:31 AM.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:46 AM   #6
1956cameo

Thank you for the responses. Don't apologize for anything 56hotrodred any info at all no matter how small is greatly appreciated. Diesel and dwcsr thanks for the links I will check them out.

I think I have not given enough info about my situation, for everyone to really understand why I am asking all of this. When I say that I may have found a guy that has my original engine I don't mean a 56 265 block from a truck; instead I mean he may have THE actual numbers matching engine that actually came in my truck when it left the factory. Long story short I bought my cameo from a guy who said he got it from a guy who lived in Alvin, TX and had 20 cameos. The city got onto him about all of the "junk" trucks on his property; so after many warnings and citations the city came in and took the trucks and crushed them. When the guy told me this I thought nothing of it, figured he was filling me up with B.S.. The only part of the story that made it plausible was that this guy had two complete cameo trucks and beds from 2 or 3 other cameos he said he got from the guy. It was three years ago when I bought my cameo and heard this story.

Friday my parents and I headed to a small town that was about an hour from where I got my cameo and over an hour from the town of Alvin where my truck came from. We went out there to look at a cameo bed this guy had for sale. When we got to this guys shop I was amazed at all of the 55-59 truck parts that he had. Including parts off of numerous cameos. He also had about 30 v8 engines from 55-59 trucks.
So I ask the guy where in the world did you get so many 55-59 truck parts. He says he got them all from his dad's old friend who was a guy in Alvin, TX that had around 200 55-59 chevy trucks including about 20 cameos! He said that the city got onto him and told him to get rid of them. Starting to sound familiar huh!! Since his dad was friends with the guy I got a few more details in this story. It turns out that he had a lot in the city where he kept the 200 trucks, cameos and all. When the city gave him 30 days notice to get rid of everything he pulled all of the valuable parts off of the trucks and put them in his barn at his house a mile from the field. He spent that time pulling v8 engines, hydramatic transmissions, cameo beds, etc... Unfortunately everything got crushed except for the parts he was able to pull and a couple of the trucks that ran (the cameo I bought and the other one the guy I got it from had). A couple of years later the guy I bought the cameo from bought the two complete cameo trucks from the guy and a couple of beds for spare parts. And later the guy who we talked to Friday bought out everything that was left including the 30 some odd original v8 s that were in the barn.
My cameo originally had a 265 v8 but someone put in a 429 caddy engine. When I asked this guy on Friday if he remembers the guy in Alvin driving a 56 cameo with a caddy engine he said he didn't know. He said all he remembered was that his daily driver was a silver 56 cameo. My cameo that I bought is a 56 and was painted silver many years ago. My cameo has to be this guys old daily driver! If it was the guy who had all of the trucks that removed the original motor for the caddy motor then I am betting my engine is one of the 30 that was in the guys barn. It was apparant that he was a serious collector that didnt let anything go. They said after the city crushed the overwhelming majority of his collection he lost alot of steam and sold everything that was left.
This is why I am asking the questions I am. I have given the guy I met on Friday that has all of the old v8 engines from the guy in Alvins barn my VIN # hoping he can find my original block. I just dont want him to sand down a block and stamp my numbers into it. Basically I want to be able to spot a forgery before handing over a pile of dough for my original block should he find it!

Last edited by 1956cameo; 03-30-2009 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:54 AM   #7
1956cameo

Double posted the story. Don't know why sorry!

Last edited by 1956cameo; 03-30-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:37 AM   #8
OrrieG

Google 1956 chevy truck engine numbers id and you will get a bunch of hits. One has a list of block casting numbers for the years. It also tells how to decode the number. Unless you gave the guy your vin number how could he duplicate it?? Also the stamps that were used (or are used for replicating) vin numbers and not run of the mill like you get at harbor freight. I used the site a few years back to id the 283 in my truck, but have lost the link.

Later: here is the site: http://www.nastyz28.com/sbchevy/sblock.php

Last edited by OrrieG; 03-30-2009 at 01:30 PM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:31 PM   #9
1956cameo

OrrieG, thanks for the tip and yes I gave him my vin# so he could check the stamp numbers on the engines to see if any match my vin. He doesn't seem like the type of guy that would forge my vin # but before I shell out hundreds of dollars for an old engine I wanted to make sure I could spot a forgery incase he did forge it.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:58 PM   #10
mr48chev

I think even an untrained eye would spot a freshly stamped block as apposed to one that had been stamped at the factory.

All I can say other than that Is I'm glad I'm not caught up in the (it has to be 100% original) restoration thing. I don't think I could handle the stress that you guys put yourselves through.

Don't get me wrong, I respect the guys who have the patience to restore a truck or anything else the way it "should" be done and it sounds like you are attempting to do just that. I sure want to see some progress photos and photos of the finished truck.

Last edited by mr48chev; 03-30-2009 at 07:07 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:33 AM   #11
1956cameo

Thanks for the comments mr48chev, and thanks for the comments everyone who posted. I really appreciate it.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing about bieng able to spot a freshly re-stamped block. I just wanted to make sure. Yeah the 100% correct thing is becoming a little stressful. I have a correct 56 265 block, but I just thought it would be better if I could get the numbers matching block back. I know in the long run it would make the truck worth more if I could get it back. Especially since it would have a neat story to go along with it.

Some of the links that were put up were able to shed a little light. I checked both of my 265 blocks in my garage and I know what their stamps look like but they were both out of cars. I just wanted to see if the truck stamps were different.