The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The pre 1947 Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2017, 10:46 AM   #1
CSHADES

1940 wipers

I installed a new wiper system in my 1940 this weekend and I thought I tell you guys about it. I am doing some upgrades on my 40 this winter as I said in my last thread with the defrost vents. So anyways I had bought a Newport Engineering clean wipe system to install in project 39 but that truck has a ways to go before It will be ready for wipers. I have been driving the 40 since 1998 with one of those little wiper motors that fit into the original space. It actually worked OK compared to a lot of them I have seen, but I was tired of the noise that it makes, 1 speed only and it was kind of weak. The problem with the clean wipe system is that you have to pull the inside header panel above the windshield off and drill holes in the sheetmetal above the windshield to mount the second wiper. I was a bit nervous about both because the truck is painted and upholstered. So I started with getting the inside panel out first, the head liner was installed with the header in place so the material was glued to the header then tucked into the space between the cab and the header to finish it. So I started by removing the windshield and then using a small screwdriver and a pick pulling the material out of the gap. I got the material out and then started pulling it down and away from the header. After almost 20 years of the headliner being in place the material actually came loose but unfortunately it came loose because the foam backing material is disintegrating, so I had a lot of black foam chunks all over the inside of the truck and on me. After getting the header out it was time to drill the holes above the windshield to mount the wiper towers. I decided at that time I would drill the holes in project 39 and mount the system in that truck first so it was ready to go when I was done with it and also to see how well it mounted(plus I could weld the holes back shut if I messed up). The cool thing with this product is the drill jig they send to make sure your holes are in the correct place. I have installed quite a few of NE products including clean wipe systems in 2 1935 ford coupes so I knew their products would fit but I was worried about drilling holes in my painted truck. So after mounting it in the 39, I proceeded to install it in the 40 and it went perfect. I managed to get the headliner back in place over the header but I will have to deal with replacing it sooner or later. So if any body out there is looking at installing wipers in a 1939-46 truck I would highly recommend this system.
CSHADES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:47 PM   #2
joedoh

Re: 1940 wipers

thanks for the review, I was considering the NE system for my 41 after using the NE system in my 49 and being astounded by its sweep and power. I did have to do some non standard mods to the passenger arm on the 49 (cut out a 3/4" section and reweld) and the shop told me I could have done the same by bending the arm, but I disagreed with that knowing that a bend is where torque is lost and it would have required two bends.

anywho, I was a little concerned with the amount of fitting and finagling and thought maybe to use a different setup on the 41, but your review has allayed my concerns. now just to come up with the almost double the cost :/

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:30 PM   #3
CSHADES

I didn't have the windshield in to actually see how the arms are going to work, but I put on the drivers side arm and blade just to see where it was going to fall and it looks good. The arm/blades they sent with are adjustable for the angle. I am sure on my 39 the arms will have to be modified because of the roof chop.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:59 AM   #4
CSHADES

This Weekend I got the dash installed(see other thread), windshield in and finished the wiper install. So I thought I would show you guys the final result and tell you what I think of the product. It looks good and seems like it has enough power to get the job done a lot better than what was there before. My only real problem with the setup is where the blades hit when moving. When in the upper position they hit the outer part of the windshield frame and on the downward sweep they hit the top of the frame. I am sure it is because of the way I have them adjusted in the park position. The instructions show them parked at about a 30 degree angle on the glass. I hate anything that is in my vision field when not needed so I adjusted the blades up and out of the way. I may play with them a bit more and see if I can find a happy medium.
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2017, 09:18 AM   #5
CSHADES

On Friday I finally got to use the new wiper system. The first mile or so was great and then the wiper on the drivers side decided to loosen up the adjuster screw that holds the blade to the arm. I don't know if this was because I didn't have the screw tight enough or if the blade is going to be a problem. I removed the screw and added a stainless lock washer and then tightened it as much as I could(small screw--big fingers). So we will see after the next rain I get caught in.