The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-31-2015, 11:46 AM   #1
60_project

tale of 2 tops

I know this has been rehashed a few times here, I read the old threads but had what appear to be new questions...

I purchased my 1970 2wd blazer with no top. I then found a single wall in decent shape so I bought it. This weekend I found a double wall in decent shape so I bought that one too. Here is the dilemma, which to use? both need a little repair, and both have some sagging, more on that later.

So the truck is set up for double wall only, it does not have captured nuts for single wall. The double wall looks much nicer on the inside and the truck will have the top on 95% of the time. Single wall obviously is easier to unbolt. They seem to weigh roughly the same my buddy and I picked up each and put it on and off the truck so each can be handled with 2 guys (in fairness I am the small one at 225lbs)

so any other benefits to the double wall, is it quieter on the road? any other disadvantages past needing to remove side panels to pull the top?

Now to fixing the "sag" this is a 2wd and will be low enough to see the top and it is going to be gloss black. How has anyone smoothed the top? I am thinking this is advantage double wall also, Rage Xtreme is safe for SMC can't I just lay a coat of filler and block it out smooth? with a double wall the interior panel hides any sag.

I am leaning to using the double wall but looking for any feedback.
60_project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:20 PM   #2
truckster

Re: tale of 2 tops

If you're doing side panels in the back, you'll have to remove them whenever you take the top off of put it back on.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:54 PM   #3
cleszkie

The single wall has interior lights. Its easy to add the wiring harness if you don't have it. The single wall also has much improved weatherstripping design for the area around the door glass. It is seated in a metal channel that holds its shape. The double wall weatherstripping gets pushed around and can easily rip off the top with use. The single wall has more "beef" in the area where the top bolts to the sun visors. This area is much thicker on the single wall top to resist ripping the fiberglass in this spot if you should overtighten the bolts, or if the top just doesn't sit right.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:55 AM   #4
Jdubs71

I sold my double wall and kept the single wall even with the massive amounts of repairs it needed which you can see in my dead build thread. My single wall seemed to weigh twice as much as the double wall..... Ok a little exaggeration, but it is noticeably heavier. I plan to put the top on and never take it off. As previously mentioned it does seem to have a better all around fit.

"Common sense is not so common"

My build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=555879
Jdubs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:18 PM   #5
smbrouss70

I also bought my 2wd Blazer without a top, but already had both style tops. I chose to put the double wall top on so that I wouldn't have to drill the bedsides for the single wall. The original paint definitely factored into my decision, though. The only negative thing I have to say about the double wall top is it seems like it would be easy to strip or break loose the "nuts" inside of the bed rail area. I haven't messed anything up yet, but I am very careful with it on the rare occasion that I pull the top off or put it back on.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:21 PM   #6
60_project

Good advice, I think when I get time I will put them both on and off and really check for fit.

If I decide on the single wall who has added captured nuts to bolt it down? Do they even sell them to weld in? If I have to use a regular nuts on the bottom it negates the advantage of not removing side panels.

How about fixing the dips? Has anyone just used SMC approved body filler with good results?

Last edited by 60_project; 09-01-2015 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Misspelling
60_project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:56 PM   #7
Blazerowner

The single wall has wooden ribs that I have seen others remove and replace with new wood or metal to get the sag out. As far as adding nuts I have seen them come up for sale on the classifieds but it's rare. They are not reproduced but could be made fairly easily. It's just a flat piece of steel held in place by thin sheet metal. Needless to say I've been looking for two years for a second single wall. Mine is in decent shape but I would like to have two just I case I buy another blazer. The last double wall I had broke multiple inserts trying to remove it. I had the drill holes in the top just to hold them with pliers to remove get them out.
Blazerowner is offline   Reply With Quote