The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2002, 07:58 AM   #1
johnymac

Question Upper control arm bushings not fitting correctly?

I am in the process of replacing my upper control arm bushings. Just finished the bottoms with no problem. The upper bushings, seem to have close to a 3/16 gap on each side on the shaft, on the inside. The bushings seem to be close to the fittings, but the ones I took out didn't seem to have this gap. I measured the shaft and the bushings, same as what I am replacing. They squeal real bad when I lift the upper control arms too. Before I go any further figured I had better as if anyone has ran into this, is it ok? Or did I screw something up?

Thank you.
johnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 02:21 PM   #2
rustfree

I'll assume you got the Chassis Service Manual for your year truck so you know the measurements you need to obtain from each end to equalize the shaft between the a-arms and the torque values to use so were you real carefull when threading the bushings in to get them straight and did you grease everything? Just love trying to visualize what you've got going from 3000 + miles away

------------------
72 swb cheyenne super 350/350
69 cst20 BB longhorn

Warren, OR
rustfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 02:15 AM   #3
ebfabman

If it is a solid type bushing (like the 67-72's) then the best way I've found to replace them is to remove the control arm as an assembly and diassemble. Then screw in one bushing in the control arm, grease it and put the dust cover on it. Next screw the shaft all the way into the installed bushing, then unscrew the shaft one turn. Next grease the other bushing, place the dust cover on it and screw it all the way into the control arm. Make sure both bushings are snug, NOT REAL TIGHT or they will strip. Now here is my own personal opinion, I like to tack weld the bushings to the control arm where the bushing shoulder meets the control arm. Just make sure you tack them where you can remove them if they need to be serviced again.

There are other ways to do this I know, but I have done it this way successfully for many years...........eb

Last edited by ebfabman; 05-31-2002 at 02:20 AM.
ebfabman is offline   Reply With Quote