The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2016, 10:48 AM   #1
Flysocal

Stock vs aftermarket efi

Was reading LEEVONs thread and it got me thinking. What is the advantage (if any) to running a stock intake and efi system on LS swaps?

I spent hours cleaning my truck intake (dunked in purple power for 24hrs) so I'm already committed to using the stock setup. But I haven't dumped $550 on a new psi wire harness yet. So I can still change my mind. This will include the tranny harness but does not include a 200 ecu. And I will still need a custom tune at around 200+ so moving forward I'm still looking at around 1000 to run my stock system.

Here is the $800 unit from fitech

Good to 400hp which is fine. Will running this eliminate the entire engine wire harness? I'm gonna do more research but in the meantime please discuss
Flysocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:10 PM   #2
Flysocal

Re: Stock vs aftermarket efi

add ignition controller and intake (MSD + holley $650)
TCI tranny controller ($610)

starting to think I'm better off staying course. plus I don't like the idea of multiple control boxes. Def more economical and probably cleaner to stay with stock setup and go with PSI for wiring. Mount the ECU under dash and be done with it.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:20 PM   #3
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

From reading posts on "FITECH Issues" or "FItech Problems" they have not completely resolved some problems.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:40 PM   #4
joedoh

I think the problems are mostly with the fuel commander they sell as an accessory to the kit. it is a high pressure/low pressure setup for guys who dont want to change their gas tank to a high pressure in tank setup. (for example a return system on a cab mounted tank can get smelly inside) any time you use a feed pump to a high pressure returnless setup, you are going to have problems. the solution is to upgrade the entire system to a high pressure return system, it costs more and is more labor intensive though.

the throttle body injection setup and computer technology is actually pretty robust and much better than original GM TBI setups.

I am a big fan of EFI. In fact this weekend I started my factory EFI engine that sat around for at least two years, started on the first key bump. no priming, no twisting distributors, nothing. just started and ran like "what were we waiting for?"

but like you have found out, the EFI setup only takes care of ONE PART of the factory setup, you still need ignition control on a late model gm engine, and trans control on an electronic trans. as far as power, the factory setup with multiple injectors will always be superior, and if you need more flow get a larger intake and larger throttle body and tune the PCM.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:56 PM   #5
iowaboynca

@Flysocal, you're also going to need a new intake manifold, which I don't see budgeted.

I went the Fitech route, but because I had an LS long block w/o the ECU so since i was going to need to buy everything anyway, just go this route.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:59 PM   #6
mr48chev

I'd think for most of us, have the complete and matched setup minus the wiring harness trumps going out and buying all the pieces needed to replace that setup. Unless of course you don't have any of it to begin with.

I'm looking at an aftermarket FI throttle body setup to replace the carb on my ot for the group truck to make it more driving friendly and hopefully pick up a few mpg. As I don't have the proper carb on it now I'm not spending money to replace something that I wouldn't have to replace anyhow.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:12 PM   #7
iowaboynca

@ mr48chev

I remembered this article i researched a while...real one-off...

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/a-hom...rsion-for-904/

I thought it was kind of cool but it probably had too many bugs to work out.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:29 PM   #8
Speedbumpauto

The ignition control is a great improvement. I have an older FAST system that doesn't have it but the real problem is you can never get the efficiency from an injector in the throttle body that you can from an injector in the intake pointed at the intake valve. That's where the real power and economy come from. I did a bucket list thing a year ago and bought a Vette. It's a used C-6. 2008 but it has the improved LS-3 engine and a paddle shifted 6 speed. NOW, MIND YOU, I'm an engine builder, hot rodder, racer for life but that stinkin LS platform beats anything I've ever driven. I feel like my whole hobby life is a waste and I may become a problem drinker. I can't see doing another swap unless it's an LS. Just got back from a 2K mile trip. 26 MPG at 84 MPH cruise and occasional bursts to 120 or so. Starts instantly from dead cold and within 30 seconds is idling calmly at 600 RPM and it pulls like a big dog from about 1800 to 6500 RPM.
HOW YOU GONNA BEAT THAT?
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:44 PM   #9
47 Fasttoys

OK, like most I had run carbs for years on my hot rods. My last 5 builds have been EFI. 1 TBI SBC, 1 Multiport Ford, 1 Dodge Magnum and 2 LS based swaps. All of these have been using stock donor systems. They work fantastic, great gas mileage, reliability, maintenance free. I see no need to change what it took a large number of automotive engineers years to develop. All of the aftermarket manufacturers are trying to improve on what the factories are doing without the backing. I'm sure some of the systems out there are quality systems, but are at the same level as the stock units? As I have not used the aftermarket stuff I cannot judge. That being said, I know exactly what I will get with a stock system. For me it's the ticket.
Rob
Rob
Old 09-21-2016, 06:06 PM   #10
_Ogre

14 yrs ago when i was looking at engines....

i knew i didn't want a carb: i hate carbs, i hate anything with a carb, i hate my lawn mower, trimmer and rototiller
i priced the factory efi, at that time no one had a harness. i would have had to modify it myself
stand alone efi was pretty much megasquirt only, it works but it has it's own tweaking and tuning problems

after i priced rebuilding any motor, harness and having an ecu flashed i bit the bullet and bought a ramjet 350
at the time it was pricey, still is at $5800, but imo, it still is the best bang for the buck when you consider the 36 mth warranty
gm still offers the ramjet 350 and 502, on top of that they have the e-rod motor series that are california epa compliant

not suggesting you blow your budget on this type motor, just after getting all the numbers together they are still worth a look
i still consider it the best thing i have done to truk

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:09 PM   #11
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbumpauto View Post
I feel like my whole hobby life is a waste and I may become a problem drinker.
i feel your pain speedbump

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:05 PM   #12
iowaboynca

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
... on top of that they have the e-rod motor series that are california epa compliant
I hear that. I have an 83 malibu wagon stashed out at my FiL's ranch, i'm thinking about installing this in, when and if i'm ever done w/my project.

talk about sleeper.

@Flysocal. Not sure if we've helped or not. I guess the best thing to do is take a step back, see what you got vs. what you think you want for your build and whats the easiest way to get there. Maybe try to find a non-cut harness to try to bring the costs down?

Last edited by iowaboynca; 09-21-2016 at 09:09 PM. Reason: more
iowaboynca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:46 PM   #13
1project2many

I've been using factory EFI since I swapped a crossfire injection setup into my truck back in '94. It's gone through a few different iterations, starting with the stock '83 Camaro computer, moving to different injectors and an '89 Chevy pickup computer, and ending up with a '95 pickup pcm. I've done more than a couple of swaps, some down and dirty like the marine EFI swap into my '67 Chevelle and some a little more involved like the same type marine intake into a '90 GMC controlled by a 91 Camaro computer. To say it's not hard or expensive to install stock EFI would be deceiving, but only because I've done it enough times to work out some details that a beginner wouldn't know. For example, there's no need to buy a harness built by someone else if you are able to read a wiring diagram, be careful and methodic, and take plenty of notes. And there's no need to buy an aftermarket computer if you are able to obtain and learn to use the tools to program a stock controller. But what you can't save is the time invested. In order to install a stock system inexpensively, without prior experience, you will have to learn a *bunch* of new stuff. And you will probably want to find a group that can help provide plenty of answers, too. Not all groups are the same. But if you use an aftermarket system it will probably come with a manual designed for a beginner, a tech support number when you need more help, and links to forums with guys using the same system. IMO the question comes down to what you have more of and what you have less of. More money = buy aftermarket. More time = work with factory parts.

Last edited by 1project2many; 09-21-2016 at 09:52 PM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:28 PM   #14
Flysocal

Great insight thanks. As suggested, I'm gonna take a step back and make the decision later. Cab is back on frame now. Gonna try and get engine and tranny mocked up next. Just waiting for corvette crank pulley then I can see what I have for space