The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2017, 06:14 PM   #1
indymachinist

Correct pitman arm for steering box swap??

Hey guys, I have been trying to search and read but I am having a hard time coming up with what I need to do.

I have a 68 c10 with a manual steering box and I am trying to replace the box with a power one from an 87.

Do I use the pitman arm from the 87 power box or do I need to get one from a 68 with power steering?

Thanks for the help

My 1968 Chevy shortbed stepside build
indymachinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:41 PM   #2
Janz99

Re: Correct pitman arm for steering box swap??

Would also like to know this. I have a steering box from an 84 id like to swap into my 68.
Janz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:01 PM   #3
68c10airstream

I used a 85 c10 box on my 68 c10, but my truck came stock with power steering. I would suspect you need to use a 68 power steering pitman arm because the centerlink and tie rod ends get beefier around 73 and newer.

When you guys source your used box, get as much as you can, box, lines, fitting that screws into the rear of the pump ( you need to match the style of lines, o'ring lines, box, and fitting together) rag joint, and possibly the intermediate shaft between column and rag joint.

There are adapters for converting the lines going into the box, i thing to take old style inverted flair to o'ring style.

My original p/s box on my 68 was 5 plus turns lock to lock, and the 85 was 3 1/2 turns lock to lock and variable ratio (my favorite ratio box). I just redid my 85 box and installed a firmer feel spool valve from a 90's jeep grand cherokee and is a nice firm feel now, as i hoped for. Looked all over for the correct info, got fed up and went for it. Sourced a used box for 50 bucks off ebay from the jeep and installed it and set it up.
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:41 PM   #4
Janz99

Thanks for the information 68c10airstream. I bought an 84 roller so im hoping i can take swap the entire steering assembly. I'm also swapping the front cross member and disc brake setup, so I might get lucky and be able to use the entire 84 front steering/pitman arm setup.
Janz99 is offline   Reply With Quote