The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2018, 12:34 PM   #51
OutlawDrifter

Re: My 56 Suburban Carrier

Wow, just wow. Didn't even know GMC had a version of the Cameo.

Nice execution! Is it a 5.3 or 6.0? I prefer the fleetside beds, and yours is just the bees knees!

Instagram @aceshighspeedshop
OutlawDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:30 PM   #52
rapid49

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawDrifter View Post
Wow, just wow. Didn't even know GMC had a version of the Cameo.

Nice execution! Is it a 5.3 or 6.0? I prefer the fleetside beds, and yours is just the bees knees!
It's a 4.8 . Hopefully we will replace that with something a little more powerful . The little 4.8 is high millage but runs great and has given me no issues. This is my daily.
rapid49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:57 PM   #53
Dan in Pasadena

I've enjoyed your thread since you started it. Great work. Will final paint be solid red or will you return to the factory two tone scheme? Red with white in the right places would look great. or even red and silver to go with your trailer!

For what it's worth, the guy that installed my 6.0 said he's done dozens of LS swaps and in all but one they've all been fine inside even the few he's used that were high mileage. one had 180k miles and another had 203k miles. HJe claims the one with 180k still had remnants of hone marks in the cylinder bores! I don't know how many miles your 4.8 has but I'd run it as long as you can since it's been so reliable for you. it produced WAAY more power than these trucks ever had originally.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:17 AM   #54
rapid49

[QUOTE=Dan in Pasadena;8312338]I've enjoyed your thread since you started it. Great work. Will final paint be solid red or will you return to the factory two tone scheme? Red with white in the right places would look great. or even red and silver to go with your trailer!

For what it's worth, the guy that installed my 6.0 said he's done dozens of LS swaps and in all but one they've all been fine inside even the few he's used that were high mileage. one had 180k miles and another had 203k miles. HJe claims the one with 180k still had remnants of hone marks in the cylinder bores! I don't know how many miles your 4.8 has but I'd run it as long as you can since it's been so reliable for you. it produced WAAY more power than these trucks ever had originally.[/QUOTE
My plan for the paint ,if I ever get the bodywork finished , is satin black with gloss black trim. The section around the door glass and back window will be red. This is subject to change,LOL.
My 4.8 was showing 280k when I pulled it out of a 03 silverado. It seems to be in great shap, as I beat the snot out of it regularly . I have been doing some autocross lately , and continue to drive it to work everyday. The comresion is good it uses no oil between changes ! I'm lovin it !
BTW your truck is awsome !
rapid49 is offline   Reply With Quote