The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-08-2018, 08:45 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

S-10 4x4 chassis swap?

Anyone use an S-10 4x4 chassis and keep it 4x4? Seems like you could make a nice Burb SUV. Obviously not for any serious off roading, but an all season ride.

Or maybe it's something that is physically/mechanically impossible?
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:51 PM   #2
joedoh

Re: S-10 4x4 chassis swap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Anyone use an S-10 4x4 chassis and keep it 4x4? Seems like you could make a nice Burb SUV. Obviously not for any serious off roading, but an all season ride.

Or maybe it's something that is physically/mechanically impossible?

you would need a coilover conversion for the front, the torsion bar crossmember would be in the way of moving the 4.3 back and a V8 swap would have the fan out the grille like a prop airplane.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 07:30 AM   #3
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Well there ya go lol. I don't even have this style of truck, I have 68-72 stuff. One of my buds is going down the AD rabbit hole and it's sucked me in to this side of the board ha!
Old 06-09-2018, 04:57 PM   #4
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Well there ya go lol. I don't even have this style of truck, I have 68-72 stuff. One of my buds is going down the AD rabbit hole and it's sucked me in to this side of the board ha!

I cant say its impossible because I havent done it, but I have looked at it a lot. lots of good 4dr 4wd blazers for sale cheap locally.

if you want to see a guy who used a 4x4 s10 frame but didnt keep the 4x4 check out msaintg build in the projects section. that guy is a veritable font of good ideas. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=526387

on one of the early pages he shows the transfer case moved back only 5 inches, he tucked his rad out in front of the core support so that gave him mor room for a fan, but moving a V8 5 inches wouldnt be enough.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:54 PM   #5
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Yeah I have read that one. I have read through a ton of S10 chassis builds here on the board. And we have checked out a bunch via Google. Personally I think its a cool idea.

Years ago I had a Mazda truck that I put a lot of miles on and was done with it. No real value sold as a whole. Made a lot of money parting it, and still had the chassis. I had a 39 Ford pick up project at the time and kept looking at that Mazda chassis. Then one day the 39 magically ended up on the Mazda chassis. It was a very nice fit. But as things usually happen with me (haha) it didn't go much further. At the time we were saving for a down payment for our first house and it had to go, house was a tad more important. It sold to the first guy that looked at it. No idea what ever happened to it. I still have the original 39 frame leaning against one of the out buildings at my honeys family farm.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:35 PM   #6
mr48chev

There was a guy here in the PNW who ran a 47/53 Chevy truck sitting on a late 60's 70's Jeep Wagoneer chassis in the 80's. I used to see it at Vintiques every year for several years and you didn't know it was a 4x4 if you didn't spot the front hubs.

In the mid 70's they had a kind of funky transfer case but used a Turbo 400 so a swap to a Chevy trans case and V8 Chevy or even late Chevy six would be somewhat simple.

I scrapped out an 86 S 10 Blazer a few years ago and rolled the body of the frame in the process and that chassis is pretty well worthless or an AD frame swap. I tried to figure out how to use the front section of the frame to subframe and early chassis and even after a guy removed all of the 4x4 pieces there was a ton of brackets that had to be cleaned off. It wasn't worth the effort even though it was free. I drug it home because I wanted the rear axle and the gas tank. Rear axle had 5 teeth missing off the ring gear and two off the pinion and the gas tank was long gone.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 06-09-2018 at 07:42 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote