The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2022, 10:16 AM   #1
Rickysnickers

Want input

I have a question for you all. TheS-10 frame swap thread was primarily intended to help with frame swaps. There has been other offshoots from that topic. My feeling is that it should be closed to keep the integrity of the intended theme. All the other subjects could have their own separate thread(s). What is your opinion?
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 11:13 AM   #2
unclebrad

Re: Want input

agree
unclebrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 03:23 PM   #3
joedoh

disagree.

it was a sticky and it functioned well as one, till it wasnt a sticky and now it follows the same form: new post asking questions about the swap, replies pointing to the non stickied thread, replies in the thread. people still ask s10 related questions in it, I answered one yesterday.

I realize its not everyones favorite subject, but it seems like you saved zero time taking it out of the sticky threads, in fact added more posts by new people looking for the info. you closed skymangs latest build thread out of respect for the family, why? his family wasnt on here, and at least people could say a few nice words about his passing in his thread, now its just doomed to get pushed further and further down the "recent" topics, the same way the S10 swap thread would if you closed it too.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 03:27 PM   #4
mr48chev

Each subject such as S-10 swap, LS swap, Late six swap in early chassis, rear axle swap. Front suspension swap on an original type frame, should have their own threads as far as that being the only subject of the thread.

Very simply meaning that if you have an unrelated question do a search of the board to see if there is a thread that might have the answer or START a new thread with your question if you can't find the answer. That way the guys who will answer your question will see it and even though they have answered it 50 times before in the last five years they will post an honest answer and probably post a link or to to threads with the answer.

The other thing that I seldom see here but see very often is other places is asking a totally unrelated question on a thread where someone has asked a specific question. Let that person have their thread with their question and start your own thread with your question.

I'm lost as far as what went on on the S-10 swap deal as I seldom look there.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 03:31 PM   #5
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Each subject such as S-10 swap, LS swap, Late six swap in early chassis, rear axle swap. Front suspension swap on an original type frame, should have their own threads as far as that being the only subject of the thread. .....

I'm lost as far as what went on on the S-10 swap deal as I seldom look there.

it doesnt sound like you are lost, he is saying he wants to close the thread to replies, which is opposite of what you say in the first part of your reply.

Old 04-02-2022, 03:48 PM   #6
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
it doesnt sound like you are lost, he is saying he wants to close the thread to replies, which is opposite of what you say in the first part of your reply.
Thanks for the clarification, as I don't usually check that thread I had assumed that someone had gotten it off track lately. Al the actual info has been there for quite a while though. Pretty simple really you either make your own mounts, get them from one of you guys who might be talked into selling a set or pay the big money for the kits. Chassis upgrades are found from vendors who cater to the S-10 brigade and all the homework was done years ago. That was the real appeal of the swap at first anyhow, all the suspension mod pieces were readily available from aftermarket vendors who catered to the S-10 guys and all the homework was done. Truth may be that there really hasn't been much new in the way of doing the swaps in ten years, Maybe a couple of new kit vendors but it the Tech outside of maybe engine swaps with newer engines hasn't changed much in the past 15 years.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 04-02-2022, 03:58 PM   #7
joedoh

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification, as I don't usually check that thread I had assumed that someone had gotten it off track lately. Al the actual info has been there for quite a while though. Pretty simple really you either make your own mounts, get them from one of you guys who might be talked into selling a set or pay the big money for the kits. Chassis upgrades are found from vendors who cater to the S-10 brigade and all the homework was done years ago. That was the real appeal of the swap at first anyhow, all the suspension mod pieces were readily available from aftermarket vendors who catered to the S-10 guys and all the homework was done. Truth may be that there really hasn't been much new in the way of doing the swaps in ten years, Maybe a couple of new kit vendors but it the Tech outside of maybe engine swaps with newer engines hasn't changed much in the past 15 years.
i think you have summed it up, and if its closed it will still be new people trying to find old info. its in the FAQ but when I see an FAQ thread its usually for code of conduct or conflict resolution. ironically thats how the s10 swap thread started too, (conflict resolution) although I doubt you would remember (kidding).

It just seems to me that the justification given isnt valid. people needed the info and found it in the sticky. then they blended the sticky into the FAQ and it followed the "ask about it, get directed to the FAQ, ask in the thread" regiment. now it will be "ask about it, get directed to FAQ..." and thats it. not a welcoming attitude but if thats the biggest problem on the forum, s10 swaps, so be it.

Old 04-03-2022, 12:03 AM   #8
mr48chev

Anything new on an S-10 swap has everythign to do with the S-10 Chassis and little or nothing to do with the swap. Around here though the whole slammed / bagged small truck thing has pretty well run it's course. The ones you see at shows were done 25 years ago.

Old 04-03-2022, 03:25 AM   #9
MiraclePieCo

Skymangs generosity in sharing his knowledge was incredible.

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 04-03-2022 at 03:41 AM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 10:26 AM   #10
Rickysnickers

Quote:
disagree.

it was a sticky and it functioned well as one, till it wasnt a sticky and now it follows the same form: new post asking questions about the swap, replies pointing to the non stickied thread, replies in the thread. people still ask s10 related questions in it, I answered one yesterday.

I realize its not everyones favorite subject, but it seems like you saved zero time taking it out of the sticky threads, in fact added more posts by new people looking for the info. you closed skymangs latest build thread out of respect for the family, why? his family wasnt on here, and at least people could say a few nice words about his passing in his thread, now its just doomed to get pushed further and further down the "recent" topics, the same way the S10 swap thread would if you closed it too.
Fair enough. However, I was not the one who took it out of the sticky threads to start with, so no time saved or wasted by me. I closed Skymang's thread for the same reason, so it would preserve the work he had done.

That's why I was asking for opinions. I appreciate yours. Thank you.
Old 04-03-2022, 10:31 AM   #11
Rickysnickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
Skymangs generosity in sharing his knowledge was incredible.
Yes, this was my point. It wasn't to curtail people asking questions, or feeling "unwelcome." It was more to keep the frame swap thread intact and all the work he had done, not have it taken off course with questions about brakes, and whatnot. It also wasn't asked to start up some internal flame war about closing of threads either.
Old 04-03-2022, 11:53 AM   #12
MARTINSR

I understand that often some low life piece of crap like ME gets on and suggests for people to think before they start such a swap being most are not needed. I think it's foolish to not let those people suggest to not do it as I do and have been attacked for it.

It's like a top chop thread, I will scream on a 55 and up truck start the chop, then cut the windshield and then fit the top to the glass. Don't finish the chop and then cut the glass.

This isn't a don't chop your top comment, it's a warning on missing something very important.

My comments on the "Frame swaps" are the same, you need to think about it and don't think that it "has to be" done. I hear over and over "you can't drive on modern highways with drum brakes" which is one of the stupidest things ever said on a forum. No, you don't have to put disc brakes on, you simple have to change how you drive.

It's that sort of thing.

So if there is a frame swap thread and someone is asking questions about doing it and someone asks them "are you sure you need to do this swap" HELPING THEM by bringing that up, it needs to be discussed not thrown out because it has no need there.

Yes that discussion is what we need to make, to help people make the decision to make that swap or not, there are reasons each of us would make the swap, and there are reasons each of us wouldn't.

That is what the forum should be about, helping people. And if telling them not to do the swap is helping them, then it got something good done.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 12:14 PM   #13
joedoh

first let me say: in my post you = forum staff, colloquially. its a job, you may not get paid for the volunteer position but imagine your first day at a job and a customer came in to complain, would you say "I wasnt here when that happened" or "thats not my job". you could I guess, but it might not be the best response.

second, moderating a forum is a lot like herding cats. I have done it in the past on a much smaller forum and after that experience have no desire to do it again. but on that forum it required a light touch, and with the confidence that gave the posters they eventually self-moderated and the forum was what it was. there were people who didnt like it and they left. there were people that didnt like it and they stayed, sometimes making fusses. the large majority of people who stayed liked the direction and format, and they ignored or stopped responding to the fuss makers. that said its almost impossible to have complete clarity in the written word, like you can in person. any squabble is easily worked out in person but in the written word it festers and boils over. people get offended or slighted, its a communication thing.

the brake question in the s10 swap thread is about using s10 brakes on an s10 swap. its not a random brake question, its not even an s10 specific question, its an "I am having this problem with my s10 swap" question.

I am not saying you were referring to me on your "internal flame war about closing threads", but if you were, I said it right out in the open, and there is no flame about it, not even a match. see my "first" comment again.

close it or dont, you are the moderator. if people leave because of it either way you probably wont even know. but I have noticed the decline in posting over the last year too, probably to unmoderated facebook or instagram pages but who knows? if your struggle is to keep the guys you already have, and closing an s10 swap HOW TO (not should I do it) thread helps you out then, well, you are the moderator. if its complaints you are getting, maybe look up survivorship bias.

Last edited by joedoh; 04-03-2022 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-03-2022, 12:21 PM   #14
Father&son56project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
Yes, this was my point. It wasn't to curtail people asking questions, or feeling "unwelcome." It was more to keep the frame swap thread intact and all the work he had done, not have it taken off course with questions about brakes, and whatnot. It also wasn't asked to start up some internal flame war about closing of threads either.
I’m gonna (respectfully) wade in here, as I am the guy that posed a brake question a few days back….

Throughout the course of this thread, Skymangs and others have gone to great lengths to cover ALL of the details of this swap. It does not appear to have been designed to merely cover the nuts & bolts of swapping the chassis. In fact, if we go back to the very first post on this thread, Symangs wrote:

“S10 chassis (117" w.b. long bed short cab) If you can, score the brake pedal, master/booster assembly and power steering box”

It’s clear that right from the beginning this thread was meant to be all encompassing. Skymangs and others have covered everything involved in this swap, and it is probably the single most comprehensive S10 swap guide on the internet. As for how often it gets used, the current 494,560 views pretty much sums things up. I still refer to it, and I use it to get help with S10 swap issues I run into.

For people who don’t care for these swaps, it is a convenient way to filter out something they don’t want to read, and it prevents people from posting S10 swap questions all over the place. I posed my brake question because I knew that it would be read by members who have used the complete S10 brake system, and would be very familiar with it. I believe the point of the thread was exactly this, to help out members doing a very specific swap, not just to show how to mount an AD truck on an S10 frame.

Please take my comments in the spirit in which they were intended. I am of the firm opinion that it should not be closed, and should remain a sticky.
Father&son56project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 12:55 PM   #15
MARTINSR

Without a doubt, Skymangs wrote a great guide to the swap!

Brian

Old 04-03-2022, 04:51 PM   #16
Rickysnickers

Well, I think I have inserted my foot into my mouth a couple of times here, intentionally or not. I certainly don't want nor intend for anybody to leave. Yes, I am a moderator on here, but I don't want it to seem as though I have some kind of power trip or anything like that. That's why I was asking for opinions. The thread will be left open and not be stickied at the top. Thank you all for your input.
Old 04-03-2022, 05:11 PM   #17
joedoh

dont sweat it, i didnt see your posts as a power trip. you want to be respectful of skymangs and i get it.

Old 04-03-2022, 06:01 PM   #18
Father&son56project

Quote:
dont sweat it, i didnt see your posts as a power trip. you want to be respectful of skymangs and i get it.
Ditto here. You asked for input and I added mine (hopefully in a positive way as I never wish to come across as snotty!). I have always been impressed with the posts on this site as they are respectful, helpful and done in polite language which is all due to the care taken in the moderation.
Father&son56project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 12:09 AM   #19
mr48chev

I'm just thinking that it won't be long before there are a batch of square body S=10 restorers jackking prices up on S-10 pieces to the point where the swap is no longer a viable "cheap" method of getting a suspension upgrade just as the Camaro/Firebird restorers have run the price of subframes up well beyond being a cheap and affordable front suspension swap as it was in the 80's. Everything runs it's course and becomes obsolete

Old 04-04-2022, 09:47 AM   #20
MARTINSR

Quote:
I'm just thinking that it won't be long before there are a batch of square body S=10 restorers jackking prices up on S-10 pieces to the point where the swap is no longer a viable "cheap" method of getting a suspension upgrade just as the Camaro/Firebird restorers have run the price of subframes up well beyond being a cheap and affordable front suspension swap as it was in the 80's. Everything runs it's course and becomes obsolete
Just another reason to put new dropped springs and a SIDS dropped axle on it.

Brian