The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2018, 09:41 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Buying an out of state truck vs moving to another state

So I know some states inspect and some don't when you purchase a truck out of state. And I believe some states are really picky down to where the frame vin has to match the cab vin.

But what if you own a truck and move with that truck to a new state. Do you have to get a new title, or just that states registration? During this process of whatever your new state requires, do you have to have your truck inspected for vin matching frame to cab? I know some states require some sort of safety check or something. We don't have that here so I'm not positive what that's about.

I'm thinking long term here. What's going to happen if I decide to be a snow bird or a Hawaiian bird or something along those lines and the final truck in my inventory doesn't have a frame match a vin?

I have two short frames, a 4x4 and a 2 wheel, neither with paper work. But I have several cabs with the correct titles and matching vins on them. Might be dumb to use either of these chassis if I'm going to move out of Washington some day and take one truck with me ... or am I worrying about nothing?

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:45 PM   #2
harpo231

Re: Buying an out of state truck vs moving to another state

As long as title matches cab ... no worries
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:50 PM   #3
AussieinNC

No such animal as a matching cab vin to chassis number in our 67-72's...

Sure, your chassis may have a partial vin number match to the cab number, but even from factory at this point in time...there were no direct matches...

Makes me laugh every time I see a for sale post saying numbers matching...

As far as titles are concerned, most states mandate cab vin numbers be present on titles...I wont buy a vehicle unless the title matches at least the cab vin...

Some states don't issue titles, some do...contact the prospective new state DMV and ask...

Just my ten cents worth...
AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:58 PM   #4
57taskforce
All about them K’s

I don’t really follow aussies point because if the partial on the frame matches the year, plant and sequence number of the cab vin then the numbers do match and you know the cab is on the original frame. sure the frame only has a partial vin but it can be decoded to match the full vin. I do agree that they may not match per say as some of the other vehicles of the time period ie. full vins for frame, body, and engine.

Any way My situation was this, I grew up in Virginia and lived there all my life until my wife and I decided to return to New Mexico where she is from. So a couple years ago we packed everything up and away we went.

New Mexico requires a vin inspection on out of state titles regardless if it is titled in your name or not. So with a quick check of the door sticker and cab vin on my Silverado and the windshield vin on my Jeep, we had New Mexico titles in hand as we left. Cab/frame vin doesn’t seem to matter here as long as the cab vin matches the title your inspection is good to go.(provided there’s nothing wrong with the vin obviously)
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0

Last edited by 57taskforce; 02-09-2018 at 10:07 PM.
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:19 PM   #5
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Yeah Im talking totally legal cab with vins and matching titles. It not a thing here in Washington if the frame is different.

I did talk to the State Patrol here a few years ago and asked if I would have to do anything special if I swapped frames on my 2 wheel drive panel with my 4x4 suburban. They said as long as they were both in my name it was no problem changing up the paper work to reflect the changes. Not something I ever did, just was driving by a WSP inspection station and decided to stop in and ask.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:22 PM   #6
special-K
Special Order

That partial VIN is still a matching number. It is obvious because all the numbers that are on the frame "match" the ones on the cab in the same sequence. There will be no other frame with the same numbers and sequence, hence matching numbers.

States vary, so it matters in some states and not others. I think any state that does require titles will have you turn the title in and issue one for that state. They require an inspection to register a newly titled vehicle and that's it as long as you own it here in Maryland. And truck gets checked by the licensed state inspector who only looks at the VIN on the cab, first step. I've seen posts here by members in other states where it is an issue to do a cab swap, since they require matching frame and body and it is a Federal violation to change VIN-plates. I think NY is one such state. The only trucks I have ever checked for matching body and chassis numbers on are the ones I have done a frame-off on. But I have never bought a truck that wasn't original by all other means of verification. I have never bought a restored truck or one someone has had their hands all over.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 02-11-2018 at 01:18 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:31 PM   #7
bill3rail

Where would the second home be? That is the kicker, each state is probably different.
I would just go to the new state with the current registration paperwork and say "Hell, the truck is 48 years old!"
Old 02-10-2018, 04:55 PM   #8
HO455
Post Whore

Like bill3rail said it is all about the state your going to. I've heard lots of tales of woe and misery about folks taking vehicles to Washington from Oregon and the numbers aren't quite right.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:28 PM   #9
a1vintage69

My daughter moved to Idaho from Cal. last month. She called me yesterday and ask if I had her title to her Highlander. Went and looked and sure enough had it. The lady at the DMV gave her

new plates without the title. She did have registration. DMV just told her to bring title in and get the new one. They did check the vin # before issuing the Idaho plates. $80 to get new plates and reg for two years. Cal. sucks My 72 K20 Super cost me $318 this year to reg.

Last edited by a1vintage69; 02-10-2018 at 09:19 PM. Reason: k
a1vintage69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:54 PM   #10
joeydurango

Here in Colorado, I had to go through the "State Assigned VIN" process on a K10 I used to own. Bought it in Kansas and the cab VIN and frame VIN did not match. On my current K10, I bought it out of state and they didn't even check. Neither did I, although I bet they match on this particular truck. So... win some, lose some.
1976 Trans Am | 455/4-spd | TOTALED
joeydurango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:07 PM   #11
jocko

Depending on the state you move to, you may not HAVE to title it in the new state to register, but I'd recommend doing it anyway. I moved around for 3 decades and retitled everything in every state. As long as you have a rosette-riveted cab VIN and matching title for it, you should be fine. If it's just a cab then you can just retitle it and register it as non-op. I'd think thru which frame you're gonna slap it on so you can at least describe the truck accurately (i.e. 2WD or 4WD, etc)
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:18 PM   #12
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

I agree with K, the numbers do match on these trucks. "Match" is an inexact science.

If what's on the frame matches up to the VIN shown in at least four places (build sheet, tag, SPID, title), then the numbers undoubtedly match. It's not an EXACT match, but the year, factory and serial number are on the frame.

Even the block, intake, exhaust manifolds, heads & transmission match to extent. While it doesn't necessarily mean they're precisely what came on a particular truck, if the part numbers and date codes add up, then as our trucks are concerned, IMO that's a numbers matching truck x2.

I can say with clear conscious I have at least one numbers matching truck. Only exception are the heads, which are factory 1969ish high performance fitted on Camaro & Corvette BBC from factory.

All the information is available on the web.

For the life of me, I don't know why moving between states would require a new title. New registration yes. Purchase between states then yes. For example, I bought my 72 off a guy with a Ca. title, then registered and titled it in Nevada. They didn't need to see the truck, but that's Nevada, and this area doesn't require smog.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 02-10-2018 at 09:27 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:30 PM   #13
rjs53

If your moving from out of state to Nevada, I know for sure if you have an out of state title they do a vin inspection. I haven't seen them crawl under to look at the frame but they will check the cab.
rjs53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:43 PM   #14
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1vintage69 View Post
My daughter moved to Idaho from Cal. last month. She called me yesterday and ask if I had her title to her Highlander. Went and looked and sure enough had it. The lady at the DMV gave her

new plates without the title. She did have registration. DMV just told her to bring title in and get the new one. They did check the vin # before issuing the Idaho plates. $80 to get new plates and reg for two years. Cal. sucks My 72 K20 Super cost me $318 this year to reg.
Not to hijack Mark's thread but holy crap, $318? I just renewed my K20's reg. for $202 and thought it was high. Years ago it bottomed out at $49 and has been climbing ever since.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming... Good topic, Mark, are you gonna tell us where you're thinking of relocating to?

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:20 AM   #15
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Not to hijack Mark's thread but holy crap, $318? I just renewed my K20's reg. for $202 and thought it was high. Years ago it bottomed out at $49 and has been climbing ever since.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming... Good topic, Mark, are you gonna tell us where you're thinking of relocating to?
Yes, unless you have a cap on your truck, it has to be registered as a "commercial vehicle". It's stupid and just one of the many ways for Jerry to pick your pocket, but at least the weather is nice.
I recall registering my 66, you could've eaten off the bed floor - my protest only lasted about 10 seconds because I was just glad they finally called my number, just wanted to get out of the place (the DMV, that is). I enjoyed my Cali time, but not my time in their DMV...
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:33 AM   #16
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

Arizona used to check out of state vehicles to the T.... Vins, Rivets, Frame. It was a learning experience for me. All my vehicles were straight and it is the reason today why I do not buy mixed trucks. I heard they do not do that anymore and only conduct level 1-2 inspections if you do not put tags on your vehicle when registering. I did re-title my blazer in Arizona and it was a process. Had the title to my blazer along with the title to the frame (glad I had it). They removed the VIN Plate, cut it and gave it back along with a new VIN Plate. Said it didn't matter what rivets went back in. They also deconstructed the old title and rebuilt it using half the VIN from the original along with the back half of the VIN off the new frame. It is all legit now and I have all the paperwork.

Smitty
72 Chevy Blazer 4X4, Sloppy Jo, Mountain Climber. Wife says no more trucks. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=707378
72 GMC 1 Ton Motor Home, wife said no more trucks until she saw this one. Gen 3 6.0/4L80E 4.10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761110
68 GMC Suburban was 3/4 ton, now 1/2.Wife shook her head
71 C30 Wrecker
71 C20 Scott-Bilt As weird as it gets..BB Cheyenne AC Truck
68 GMC Long Stepside. They keep following me home
71 C20 Longhorn/Ole Yellor
69 C30 Former Motor Home, Flat Bed time
71meangreenc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:14 AM   #17
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjs53 View Post
If your moving from out of state to Nevada, I know for sure if you have an out of state title they do a vin inspection. I haven't seen them crawl under to look at the frame but they will check the cab.
Well, I may have forgot, but seems to me they didn't look at the truck.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:46 AM   #18
Ironangel

Just to rub salt in the wounds...$25 to register our trucks in Nebraska. As for the weather, well...
Attached Images

71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:15 AM   #19
Orange67

Yikes. 300+ to just register?? Just one more reason I'm very happy to live in Utah. I chose to register my 67 as "Vintage" which means no inspection, and $25 for my tags. Before I did that, if I remember right, it was $10 for inspection, and $35 for the tags. BTW, the reason I did that was because one year they failed it for no rear bumper, and the next year for no windshield washers. Thank goodness its a 67, and it doesn't need emissions testing.

As far as titling, Utah does require you to surrender your other title, but issues you a new one if you move here from another state. Not sure one the vin inspection, as I have lived here my whole life. They will certainly make sure the cab matches the title.

'67 C20 CST Custom Camper
'04.5 LLY Duramax CCSB...sold
Orange67 is offline   Reply With Quote