The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1973-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-30-2003, 04:46 PM   #1
CJM72CHEVY
John Deere Tech

Approximate values....

Hey guys, I found some parts I'm looking at buying, and am wanting some opinions on values. I'll be dealing with a friend on them, so don't want either of us to get hosed on the deal. First item is what I believe to by a Dana 60 rear axle out of a '72 C20 Customer Camper that came with a 400-cube big-block when new. Was the Dana the stock axle in that truck? I'm assuming it is, as the glovebox tag for that truck lists a Dana axle with some sort of limited slip, although I forget exactly what they called it. I figured that since it is already in a coil-spring truck, it would be much easier to swap into my '72 C20 than modifying a 14-bolt or Dana 70. I'm pretty familiar with Danas, so I'm not scared of the axle whatsoever, and can rebuild it myself, as I've been into a few of them. But, I've also done 14-bolts, and know that they're pretty easy to rebuild. The second item would be the original 400 big-block out of the same truck. They removed it in one chunk and set it in the barn. The gist of the story is that they basically parted out this pristine '72 big-block C20 Custom Camper with factory air, tach, power steering with tilt, and power brakes just to put the body on a 1/2 ton 4WD. Not what I would have done, but at least I can score some good parts out of the deal. It was running at the time they pulled it, as they drove the truck several hundred miles home. It is complete from the carburetor to the manifolds to all the bracketry to the A/C compressor, so I imagine it's worth a pretty good chunk of change. Anyway, I was thinking that if I could get both items for $750, I'd be doing pretty well on the deal. Any thoughts?
CJM72CHEVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 08:34 PM   #2
crossy
Oh,you can't buy that new

the rears are pretty common from the early trucks and not a lot of desire for the the big ones.
as far as the engine considering that you got all the valuable early style bracketry with it thats what make s the deal worth it . If the engine was bare i would say it was a 'break even' deal but the brackets/pulleys could be worth a few hunderd more . DAVE
98 Vortec project.
94,3500,6.5L 4L80
81 SWB GMC POS finally gone
73 Pinto, stock, w/CragarSS's-eww
LOTS of Cummins trucks.
crossy is offline   Reply With Quote