The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2008, 01:54 PM   #1
'72 Chevy Suburban
Chevy's Rock!

Suggestions on buying a new truck?

Well, I am probably playing with fire on this one, but I am enticing the
local dealerships to come up with an incredible on a new Chevy/GMC
Truck. I am thinking that most dealerships are desperate for sales wit
the current economic situation and the leftover 2008s will be a big deal
at some point when the 2009s are flooding the lots, so we will see where
this goes. We are looking for a basic SWB 4WD in black and are pretty
flexible beyond that. They are now scrambling to see what they can do.

Anyway, can someone shed some light on websites that I should be looking
at to find out what the actual dealer paid for these things? I remember
seeing something about year ago, but really haven't been interested in
buying anything new until now. I appreciate any help or suggestions and
am willing to consider dealers outside the area or whatever. It is all
about the deal.

Thanks,

'59 NAPCO Pickup
'70 K10 Pickup 350
'72 C20 Suburban 350 (MIA)
'57 Chieftain 455
'68 Firebird Convertible - 400
'68 Catalina Convertible - 400
'85 Vette
'72 Chevy Suburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:33 PM   #2
1LoC10
Insert Title Here

Re: Suggestions on buying a new truck?

i know a couple months ago when gas was knocking on $5 a gallons door, they had trucks marked down alot..... the dealer by me had crewcabs at $32,000 marked down to $19,000.....and the regular cabs as low as $14,000.... with gas back up i dont see you getting them down to much even with the market

1000 pics of 67-72's>> http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z...-72/?start=all <<
1LoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:57 PM   #3
D13

Look for about $6k rebate right now.
There probably aren't many 08's left.
$10k with discount, customer loyalty and lease turn-in for a base 4wd. No lease will probably up it. But you ought to be out the door under $15 or so if you don't want a lot of options.

Markup is probably in the 25% range.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:40 PM   #4
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Make sure you are comparing apples to apples when pricing a truck. There are so many option variables you ahve to be pretty astute to make sure you are getting a real comparison price. I was in the auto business for 25 years as a salesman and sales manager and we sold 900 to 1000 new vehicles a year. My suggestion is know what you are looking at and bypas the salesman and. deal directly with the sales manager.

Tip # 1:
You will get a better ( cheaper ) deal if you buy something in their inventory, not something you have to factory order or the dealer has to source from another dealer especially a 2008 model at this time of year.

Tip # 2:

With that being said, do your shopping when the dealership is closed. Think about it, if you drive on the lot when they are open you will have salesman all over you usually within 2/3 minutes. The salesman do not get paid unless they sell you something so they are going to pressure you into a deal asap. By doing your shopping/searching when they are closed you can shop at your pace and check all their inventory to see what you like.

Tip #3:

When you find the vehicle you want take the stock number from the inventory tag and if there is no stock number write the serial number down. When you have that info now phone the dealership, ask for the sales manager, explain to him you are looking for a truck, have the money to pay for it and are ready to deal [B]today[B] if you get the right deal. When you come to the dealership the sales manager will probably turn you over to a salesman to do the paperwork and deliver the vehicle but you will have the price established and the haggling done and just the fun part in front of you.

Tip# 4

There is no tomorrow in the car business ,everything is about today. Most salesamns favorite line is " What can I do to buy this car/truck/motorcycle/boat /skidoo/ today ? "

Tip #5

Do not buy any accessories or anything from the business manager. If you want running boards get then included in the price of the truck. The accident and health insurance is bvery pricey from the dealer and they make aton of money on it , so do not buy it. Extended warranties ( if they are underwritten by the manuafacturer are to me a personal choice and I compare it to buying life insurance. The markup on extended warranties is pretty good so if you want one do not be afraid to get it included in the price of the truck or if that is not practiacal do not be afrid to haggle with the business manager.

Tip # 6

Remember you are in charge of the deal not the dealership, and if do not like the way you are treated or the way things are going, get up and walk out !!!

Happy shopping and let us know hoew you make out !!!

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" 4 Things When Used are Gone Forever "

" A Word After it is Said - A Missed Opportunity - Time once Passed - Trust after its Lost "

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:52 PM   #5
msgross

They can do a search for a particular truck that you want... but you will get the best price when it's already sitting on their lot. I know that I can get to see the invoice price since i'm a GM family member but not sure how others can.. (we actually pay below invoice, maybe that's why they are hurting so much right now).
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"

Last edited by msgross; 12-12-2008 at 04:53 PM.
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote