The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-21-2016, 08:56 PM   #1
10drum

03 1500 Trailer wiring question

Gettings and Merry Christmas, I recently purchased an 03 GMC Sierra 1500. It did not come with a tow package. Is there a harness that can be plugged into the distribution point near the spare tire? Also, will I need to install a trailer brake module, and if so what is my best option?

Thanks for all replies.
10drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 03:45 PM   #2
greasemonkey

Re: 03 1500 Trailer wiring question

If your truck has the factory 7 pin harness with a round plug above the spare tire, all you need is something like this:
https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-...id=20031310944
If your trailer has electric brakes, you need a controller. I bought a Curt Triflex, but there are many like it. Tekonsha appears to be the most popular. Mine is a proportional controller instead of time delay, basically it applies the brakes as needed to match the tow vehicle instead of applying to a preset tension. Infinitely smoother stops this way. You can hardwire it yourself or get an adapter harness to plug into the distribution panel under the dash. Mine came with the adapter harness.
https://www.etrailer.com/multi-produ...7874&hunter=bc
It has 4 wires: red, blue, black, and white. On mine, black is 12v, white is ground, red is stop lamp signal, and blue is trailer brake control. This is where it gets weird...depending on how your truck was wired from the factory, you may need to run some wire. My underdash panel was pinned for ground and stop lamp signal; however, the trailer brake control wire and power wire were not there. I had to cut the connector harness and run a separate 12v wire to my fuse box under the hood (with a 30 amp fuse inline). When you take off your fuse panel cover, you may have a blue wire dangling there. That is the trailer brake control wire. Run a 10 guage wire from your controller and connect to this wire. If you don't have this wire, you will have to run one to the back to control your brakes.
Hope this helps.
1987 Jimmy
2004 Tahoe
2005 Silverado 1500
2005 Silverado 3500
greasemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 03:51 PM   #3
greasemonkey

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav.../tech/Prodigy/
This helped me out quite a bit on my install, though it follows a truck that has the factory tow package and yours will differ a bit as far as the power and trailer brake control wiring goes.
1987 Jimmy
2004 Tahoe
2005 Silverado 1500
2005 Silverado 3500
Old 12-24-2016, 03:46 AM   #4
izzy_Britton

Long story short, what greasemonkey says will certainly work with probably a lot less work than the long story...

long story, YES. there is a harness that plugs into the bottom of the under hood fuse box. you would need to remove the non-tow package harness and install the harness for the tow package. the wires run from that fuse box to the tail lamp distribution box on the rear most cross member and it includes all the wires for the fuel pump, tank sending unit, emissions crap under the bed and a couple grounds. it is easiest to either lift the cab and the bed off of the frame to replace this harness or it is necessary to drop the tank.

I am sure that if i did some digging i could find more info on how and where what wires go from the distribution block on the rear frame crossmember to a trailer plug... but if your going the cheap simple route get a walmart trailer kit and a test light and have the wife press the brake pedal when needed until you find the correct wires, splice and be done.

greasemonkey points out a really nice system, but it is all dependent upon whether or not you have the tow package harness installed all ready and just havent known exactly what it is that you was looking it. the first link greasemonkey supplied is a nice bit of kit. walmart carries a similar item that is plug and play and is a direct replacement for the OEM connector that even twist locks into the appropriate fixture on your tow hitch if you have one.

keep us posted.

-Izzy
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 04:16 PM   #5
greasemonkey

Good point, I did make some assumptions on his particular setup being similar to mine...I have a bit of a bastard truck, some stuff is pre wired from the factory and some isn't. If you have the round plug over your spare tire, I would bet you have the blue wire running to the fuse box (assuming it hasn't been run all the way to the under dash connector...) Personally, if it does not have the blue wire pre run, I would run that single wire instead of replacing an entire harness. I am lazy though..
I think I actually bought my connector at Wal Mart too, years and years ago, but it is the same one I linked too.
1987 Jimmy
2004 Tahoe
2005 Silverado 1500
2005 Silverado 3500
Old 12-27-2016, 06:35 AM   #6
10drum

Thanks for the replies. I pulled the spare tire yesterday and found a pigtail above it with a 7 pin receptacle. There is a blue wire on the plug.
10drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:41 AM   #7
TonyD2

Morning' all. Just a bit of confusion here on my part. I have a '99 Silverado Z71 and have the round 7 pin plug on the hitch.[all factory by the way] The wife and I are very seriously looking at a medium travel trailer. With that being said, there is a extra wiring harness under the seat with an in line 30 amp fuse. Owners manual no help at all on where to plug this in. Can anyone guide me as to hook up and what else I may need to do? Brake controller etc. Thanks in advance for any help.
TonyD2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:58 PM   #8
greasemonkey

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav.../tech/Prodigy/
With the factory tow package, your life is easy. Personally, I would buy a brake controller and a pigtail and ditch the factory pigtail you have. That way, you can just plug the new pigtail in under the dash, plug controller into pigtail, and put the fuse in the box.

If you go to etrailer, you can put in your vehicle info and they will match you up with controllers and harnesses. I used a Curt proportional controller, it is a nice unit and easy to set up.
1987 Jimmy
2004 Tahoe
2005 Silverado 1500
2005 Silverado 3500
Old 09-20-2017, 01:16 PM   #9
fun in dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD2 View Post
Morning' all. Just a bit of confusion here on my part. I have a '99 Silverado Z71 and have the round 7 pin plug on the hitch.[all factory by the way] The wife and I are very seriously looking at a medium travel trailer. With that being said, there is a extra wiring harness under the seat with an in line 30 amp fuse. Owners manual no help at all on where to plug this in. Can anyone guide me as to hook up and what else I may need to do? Brake controller etc. Thanks in advance for any help.
No idea what the extra harness is ... maybe something from previous owner for radio amp or such?
Since you have the factory 7 pin plug at back your good. Brake controller in cab is all you'll need & also tell them you need harness for '99 truck.
This will plug into empty port on elec box down there on firewall by emerg brake & wire that to back of brake controller.
'06 Silverado SS...DD
'06 C1500 WT...DD
'07 Classic C1500 WT...DD
Built & sold cause can't keep 'em all:
'72 Blazer "The Bucket" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=433190
'55 Chevy straight axle gasser https://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173938
'69 Pro Street Chevelle http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332541
'86 M1031 CUCV http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=553619
fun in dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:35 AM   #10
homemade87

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun in dirt View Post
No idea what the extra harness is ... maybe something from previous owner for radio amp or such?
Since you have the factory 7 pin plug at back your good. Brake controller in cab is all you'll need & also tell them you need harness for '99 truck.
This will plug into empty port on elec box down there on firewall by emerg brake & wire that to back of brake controller.
Just for reference . When a new truck came with the tow package GM also included a small harness for the controller . It would plug in under the dash where Fun had mentioned . The harness would only have plain ends on the other end to wire to a controller of your choosing . This harness was usually in the glove box , at leased the ones I seen was . My truck came with one .

Last edited by homemade87; 09-21-2017 at 08:52 AM.
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:55 PM   #11
TonyD2

Smile Re: 03 1500 Trailer wiring question

Homemade, that sounds like the harness I have. I do have the 7 pin plug on the hitch, 6 outside and one in the center. The extra harness I found has an almost rectangular plastic plug and bare wires on the ends. I can make out 1 or 2 of the tags, but wasn't sure where to plug the plug into. Thanks everyone for the info and I will look into these ideas over the weekend.
TonyD2 is offline   Reply With Quote