The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2013, 10:45 PM   #1
TypeSL2

Fuel Filler Neck for Tank Relocation

I am about to do the tank relocation from the cab to under the bed in our '64 long stepper. We are not going to cut into our floor for the filler. We got the side fill tank from LMC. I was curious what you guys have used to put the filler behind the reverse light on the driver's rear fender. We really want to put it there, but didn't know if there was a general knowledge of which part is used. I did a bunch of searching and came up with nothing. I was thinking of using a filler tube out of a newer model chevy truck since it should have the bends we need to get it where we want it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

James
TypeSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #2
TypeSL2

Re: Fuel Filler Neck for Tank Relocation

Gonna bump this just so I might get a response. Also needing help figuring out what lines go to what on this tank. Thanks for any help.

James
Old 08-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #3
Snailed

Is the reverse light even higher than the top of the tank? If it's only an inch or two above and you need the fuel to go sideways to get in the tank it will be a sloooow filling setup.

Is LMC selling a newer blazer tank? The fittings are pretty straight forward. Thow up a picture of the tank and tell us what your fuel system is, single feed carb, single feed efi or return style efi.
Snailed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #4
TypeSL2

This is the tank I am using. It is currently a standard carb setup, but we have plans later to do the EFI swap for an LQ4. For now though, I am finding that the fuel filler neck is actually hitting the cross rail that attaches to the bottom of the bed and the frame. So I can't even get a fuel filler hose on the filler anyways. So any suggestions? I have seen one thread where someone completely took out that piece, and I am seriously contemplating it. Problem is, I am planning on actually using my bed, so I don't know if this will hurt the usability of the truck or not.

James
Old 08-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #5
Snailed

Yeah, that looks like a 71-72 blazer tank I think. I would cut the filler off and put it where you want it/change the angle so it fits the truck. You have the right tool just to the left.

If you are going to use an external pump then you will use the same pickup tube with a carb too. It's probably one of the ones with a cap on them. Just figure out which ones goes right to the bottom. Hopefully it has a little sump around it or you won't be able to run the tank down before the EFI pump sucks air. You may want to modify the tank or run a surge tank if that's the case.

The other capped one and the one next to the filler neck should probably be vents for now (and the capped one your return from the regulator later). More vent surface area can help a marginal filler setup not spray gas all over the place.
Snailed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:07 PM   #6
TypeSL2

That tank isn't my actual tank. That is a picture I stole from another thread while I was searching for more info. I finally decided that I am just going to move the bed cross rail. I took all of the bolts out and hammered it towards the front of the bed, but will be moving it towards the back tomorrow since I have more room aft of the tank rather than fore. When time comes for EFI, the tank will be removed, cleaned, and then modified to fit an in-tank EFI fuel pump. Thanks for helping me out. I really appreciate the help figuring out what all of the tubes are for. That is a huge help for later this week when I finally get around to plumbing everything.

James