The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-24-2022, 12:23 PM   #1
freds

engine timing

rebuild 1967 c10 chevy pickup, replaced new 350 chevy engine and using the old harmonic balancer, why am i not able to zero out the balancer to TDC specks. way out of the limits range white marks. no matter which way i turn the distributor. is there such thing as tbe harmonic need to come with the specific engine ?. also causing engine to get very hot.
freds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 12:33 PM   #2
72SB

Re: engine timing

your old damper likely has slipped making the timing mark on it useless. They are wear/replacement items

Is your current damper hub keyed?

You want a keyed hub/damper and one with timing marks on it or use MSD timing tape the correct size for your diameter damper. It comes in a sheet for around $7 and you just stick on the size you need

hot engine would indicate timing is to retarded
72SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 12:36 PM   #3
geezer#99

You might find the info you need here.

https://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/..._TDC_lines_SBC
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 01:11 PM   #4
geezer#99

And some more info.

https://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/...op_dead_center
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 03:46 PM   #5
jgr

You should never switch a harmonic balancer from one engine to another. Run the numbers on the engine in the truck and then buy the correct one for that engine, they do not cost that much! The wrong balancer will take out your bottom end.
jgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 04:02 PM   #6
Rickysnickers

I'd highly encourage you to purchase a new balancer. They can be had rather inexpensively, https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...make/chevrolet
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 04:16 PM   #7
Wrenchbender Ret

Some 350 engines had the timing marks straight up. You looked down between the water pump & timing cover.
If that is what you have you will need to remark it like Geezer says.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 04:43 PM   #8
LS short box

The best way to confirm the timing mark on the balancer is to buy a piston stop and screw it into the #1 spark plug hole. Slowly rotate the engine over until you touch the piston to the piston stop. Then mark it using the timing tab as a reference. Then rotate the engine the other way until the piston touches the piston stop and mark it. In the middle of those two marks will be top dead center. Then go from there adjusting the timing.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 07:07 PM   #9
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72SB View Post
your old damper likely has slipped making the timing mark on it useless. They are wear/replacement items

Is your current damper hub keyed?

You want a keyed hub/damper and one with timing marks on it or use MSD timing tape the correct size for your diameter damper. It comes in a sheet for around $7 and you just stick on the size you need

hot engine would indicate timing is to retarded
I've had that timing tape get distorted by Carb Cleaner and come off from engine heat. It's not permanent.

You can get your Harmonic Balancer rebuilt by the Damper Doctor [ damperdoctor.com ] but for an engine as common as the 350 SBC, it's probably cheaper to get a new one. If you had a more obscure engine, the Dr would be the choice.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 08-24-2022 at 08:20 PM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 07:10 PM   #10
rockyrivermark

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
The best way to confirm the timing mark on the balancer is to buy a piston stop and screw it into the #1 spark plug hole. Slowly rotate the engine over until you touch the piston to the piston stop. Then mark it using the timing tab as a reference. Then rotate the engine the other way until the piston touches the piston stop and mark it. In the middle of those two marks will be top dead center. Then go from there adjusting the timing.
This is great advise.
Posted via Mobile Device
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 07:30 PM   #11
Sheepdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by freds View Post
rebuild 1967 c10 chevy pickup, replaced new 350 chevy engine and using the old harmonic balancer, why am i not able to zero out the balancer to TDC specks. way out of the limits range white marks. no matter which way i turn the distributor. is there such thing as tbe harmonic need to come with the specific engine ?. also causing engine to get very hot.
This is the guy I used to get the "CORRECT" dampener for my particular engine. Very knowledgeable as he should be.

https://www.damperdoctor.com/

If you want to time it temporarily to run use a vacuum gauge.

This is assuming everything is correct/right with all parts used in the rebuild.

Hook the vacuum gauge to manifold vacuum, run your motor at approximately 2500 rpm while turning/adjusting your distributor to read the highest vacuum, then slightly back (retard) it off and lock it down.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 09:25 AM   #12
72SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
I've had that timing tape get distorted by Carb Cleaner and come off from engine heat. It's not permanent.
in lieu of buying a damper with etched timing marks....

any non clean surface or one that is exposed to cleaners like carb cleaner over any sticker....yeah it is going to come off

Applying the timing tape to a clean damper and it will stay....does on mine. YMMV
72SB is offline   Reply With Quote