The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-22-2018, 11:11 PM   #1
Blazerowner

Rebuilding 12bolt and Dana 44

I’m think about having my front and rear and rebuilt. A local shop quoted me $3200. That’s with new lockers and 373 gears. Is this a good price?
Blazerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:03 AM   #2
jeffahart

Re: Rebuilding 12bolt and Dana 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazerowner View Post
I’m think about having my front and rear and rebuilt. A local shop quoted me $3200. That’s with new lockers and 373 gears. Is this a good price?
What kind of lockers? With new gears too? Gears and lockers front and rear? Sounds like a bargain! But it really depends on what you are having done and the parts you're buying. Based on what you've wrote I would say it doesn't sound out of line to me. And if you're getting gears too, it's a really good price.

j
Old 05-23-2018, 12:30 AM   #3
kwmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazerowner View Post
That's about right, assuming everything in front end will be replaced also. Ball joints, u-joints, inner seals, wheel bearings etc. If it is just a gear swap with posi units, may be a little high depending on the traction units.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:20 AM   #4
Blazerowner

So its all new internals including seals, bearings, etc. Detroit Truetrac front and rear and new 373 gears. $3,212 before tax. He said they will disassemble it and I can run them down to have them blasted and powder coated before they assemble them. I think it's not bad. The Website is ringandpinionservice.com. They are located in Rancho Cordova near Sacramento. I have read good things about them online so I think I will be using them.

Last edited by Blazerowner; 05-23-2018 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:46 PM   #5
Short 3/4

Can't say if they are still any good , but have been in that location for a long time, so they must not be burning bridges. They installed a new Detroit Locker in my 66 C20 over 30 years ago and it was still going strong when I pulled the locker to put in my latest project last year, so I'd say I got my moneys worth from them!
BTW, I put True Trac's in the front and rear of my other 'Brand X' truck. Had some fitting issues with the TT that factory would not help me with, so best to buy and install at same place so it's their problem, not yours. Once sorted they worked great and I love them both on and off road.

Tom
NoSpin HO72 4.10 rear
Short 3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:51 AM   #6
Blazerowner

Well hopefully it’s an uneventful process when I get them done. I’ve had my share of dirtbag shops in the past so I’m always iffy not doing things myself. I have never even taken a differential apart let along set the gearing lash etc.