The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2002, 07:07 PM   #1
Paul Rucker

Unhappy '98 K1500 Steering Problems going straight $ Level...

1998 K1500 Z-71 Extended SWB, 87k miles, 305, while driving going down the road at any speed, you can feel the steering pull or move for a second to the left, just like someone (invisible) gave it a little tug. I know just by looking at the front tires, it has too much positive camber I believe, the tops of the tires are a little further out than normal, not much though. Various wheel alignment shops say it is within spec. Front end feels like there is play, such as when going over a speed bump slowley with 1 front tire first then the other. The intermirrent grabbing of the steering feels like the front wheels want to wander... I am getting ready to tear it apart to check it out. Perhaps bad wheel bearings, the idler arm , and other arms look tight and I have greased them. I had the idler or draglink replaced last summer. One shop said it needed a draglink and idler, Pep Boys said just one was in order, the other was ok.
Had one of them replaced. can't remember which. I really feels like loose wheel bearings, simple tug on wheel with my hands with the vehicle down feels ok. Also feels like worn tie-rod ends or a loose idler arm. Any easy way to point me in, if anyone has experienced this before. All help and opinions welcomed!
Paul Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 07:34 PM   #2
ThreeQuarter

Hey Paul, check out this thread:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...threadid=29241

I'm sure it is the source of your problem. Good luck.
ThreeQuarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 07:37 PM   #3
Piston
Account Suspended

First thing is to find out what (if any) front end componants are loose. You'll need to put a jack under the outer most part of the lower control arm and raise that wheel off the ground about 3"s. Have one person pushing/pulling on the wheel (one had at the top and one had at the bottom) while the other person looks at; Control arm bushings/ball joints, wheel bearing play. Once you've done this to both sides, jack both wheels up and wiggle each front wheel while someone looks at the idler arm, pitman arm and tie rod ends. NOTE: There will be some play in the idler arm, up to 1/4 of up/down movement at the arm.

The postive camber will give you terrible "darting" problems depending on the road conditions. The tire will tend to follow the highest spot in the road. A loose idler will give you "bump" steer and wandering poblems. Also makes for sloppy steering wheel feel.

Did the alignment shops give you a printout of thier alignment job? I'd like to see whet end of the spec range they call good.
and lastly... has it been in a wreck lately?
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 07:43 PM   #4
Paul Rucker

Thanks a bucnch!

I really appreciate it, and will check the website listed for better prices! GM {arts direct.com is not responding right now! Thanks again!
Old 12-29-2002, 08:06 PM   #5
Paul Rucker

Gret Web Site Cheap prices...

Found this site;
http://chevy-parts-for-less.com/chevytrucks.html

$72.00 at the dealer, $39.32 here...Thanks again!

Last edited by Paul Rucker; 12-29-2002 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-29-2002, 11:11 PM   #6
BIGG BELLY

those trucks are also equiped with an EVO(electronic variable orifice) this controls pressure output from the pump--if you have a bad steering wheel speed sensor it will cause the wheel to tug during corners--it opens and closes the EVO causing you to loose and gain power assist
photo albums
BIGG BELLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 12:08 AM   #7
Paul Rucker

Speed Sensor the only culprit?

I checked the other thread concerning the speed sensor, and I plan on changing it this week. I just drove the truck to a convenience store a few minutes ago to pick up a few items, straight and level 35-40 mph, got a tug to the left, 10 seconds later gotta tug to the right. Nothing major, but a little tug nevertheless. I hope the sensor takes care of the problem, otherwise sure feels like suspension stuff.
Old 12-30-2002, 12:15 AM   #8
Piston
Account Suspended

If memory serves me correctly this problem shows up "while" turning. It will loose assist then over compensate.

Correct me if im wrong guys, but I dont believe this will happen when the wheel is straight.
Old 12-30-2002, 12:49 AM   #9
Paul Rucker

Hmmm...

Perhaps it is occuring while I am making "normal slight adjustments" on a straight road. Haven't really noticed too much while turning though. Any help is appreciated.
Old 12-30-2002, 07:17 PM   #10
Paul Rucker

Disconnected it...

I works great! No more tug, and the steering feels NO DIFFERENT!
I will just leave it disconnected and see what happens! Syre does drive "normal" now! Thanks for all of the help guys! I wouldn't have had a clue without you!
Old 01-04-2003, 05:41 PM   #11
DLE

would be ok to leave it unhooked ???
DLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 05:47 PM   #12
Piston
Account Suspended

Other than setting a check engine light, it only causes the system to act like a normal P/S system.

I wouldn't see any problem in leaving it unplugged. Although the sensors are fairly cheap and easy to put in.... might as well bite teh bullet and fix it.