The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-21-2017, 09:03 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

When space is at a premium.............

I see a spot for a core support for the entire front clip.

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 11:01 PM   #2
FirstOwner69

Re: When space is at a premium.............

I faced the same dilemma when I restored my truck. So, last year I had the 36'x63' toy box pictured below built. Probably should be about 10' longer!

Now I need another project!!!!!
Attached Images

FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 11:24 PM   #3
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
I faced the same dilemma when I restored my truck. So, last year I had the 36'x63' toy box pictured below built. Probably should be about 10' longer!

Now I need another project!!!!!
That's what I'm talking about, and still have a space issue......Go figure, more space more toys.

I have a large 3-car garage. That's it. There are parts in three of four bedrooms. Even the kitchen and formal dining room fell victim. Good thing my son is moving out (again).....That's a lot of space...HA!....I need it, because two car will have from the cab forward, plus the frame, hoist, etc.. At some point she takes up the wife's spot for a short stint, and oh (*^)^.

Just noticed you have two campers. One on top works, but what's in your garage looks super. We like to RV as well. The trailer is in the front yard, along with my other trucks. Smaller house, more garage space.........That's the ticket.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 05-21-2017 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:53 PM   #4
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Just noticed you have two campers. One on top works, but what's in your garage looks super. We like to RV as well. The trailer is in the front yard, along with my other trucks.
The camper on the new truck in front of the building is the one we bought the same day as we bought the truck in 1969.
Attached Images

FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 01:36 PM   #5
bs46488

Man, that's a nicely build cart. Way over built!

I am actually thinking about building something like that to paint my truck. I'm painting it a metallic color and everyone says you have to paint the pieces together and as they would sit on the truck. I don't really want put it all on the truck and tape it off.

So I was thinking of a couple of 2x4's and making a few fixtures to hold hood, fenders, doors, etc so I can paint them.

1970 Nova: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=708161
bs46488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:25 PM   #6
OregonNed

I roll mine into a ten foot wide portion of the garage. This time I hugged the wall a bit. Beyond the wall the other half of the garage was set up as a classroom. It is my workshop and tool storage area.
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2017, 11:28 PM   #7
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs46488 View Post
Man, that's a nicely build cart. Way over built!

I am actually thinking about building something like that to paint my truck. I'm painting it a metallic color and everyone says you have to paint the pieces together and as they would sit on the truck. I don't really want put it all on the truck and tape it off.

So I was thinking of a couple of 2x4's and making a few fixtures to hold hood, fenders, doors, etc so I can paint them.
Thanks. If you think this is overbuilt, you should see the cab cart I just finished. It's stout, or at least I hope so...............Honestly, to do over again I'd build this cart better. I wasn't planning to use it for the entire clip, and it was near dumb luck to be long enough that the fenders to clear the hood by 3/8" plus per side....I just used 2x3s to prop up the fender. Works great with the golf club covers I picked up cheap from the thrift store.

Hadn't heard to paint as the parts would sit on the truck. Wonder why that is? Painting all at once makes sense. Too many variances, climate, mix...etc.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:34 PM   #8
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonNed View Post
I roll mine into a ten foot wide portion of the garage. This time I hugged the wall a bit. Beyond the wall the other half of the garage was set up as a classroom. It is my workshop and tool storage area.
One of my favorite trucks. Looks isolated, and if so, great idea. What do you teach?
Old 05-23-2017, 03:43 AM   #9
In The Ten Ring

I have put a lot of thought into what I am going to do to my garage once the truck is back together and mobile. I have plans for shelves, wheeled carts to roll under the shelves, tear out some of the current workbench and make room for welders, plasma cutters, and an air compressor. The attic will get floored and a lift......

I wish I had more yard space that wasn't on a hill..........I could probably build a shed behind my garage but it couldn't hold another vehicle.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:28 PM   #10
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
I have put a lot of thought into what I am going to do to my garage once the truck is back together and mobile. I have plans for shelves, wheeled carts to roll under the shelves, tear out some of the current workbench and make room for welders, plasma cutters, and an air compressor. The attic will get floored and a lift......

I wish I had more yard space that wasn't on a hill..........I could probably build a shed behind my garage but it couldn't hold another vehicle.
We do have lots of room to build. At the moment, I can't justify the cost and labor. When my truck's done, first thing I'll do is build at least a shed. Can't be anything near the truck.........money pit....While space is an issue, I always seem to find a good spot. Son moves out Monday......."his" bedroom frees up a good 80 sq. of garage space.