The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > News

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 04:07 PM   #26
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: Out of the Ditch = The Rebuild Begins ('72 GMC)

Ripped the floor mat out and found a bit more rust than I wanted to see. But a lot of it is surface rust in the floor boards. Of course the rockers, kick panels and forward floor corners need to be replaced. One of the many PO's put some sort of plastic foamy liner under the original mat that did nothing but hold moisture. It was still damp in spots when I pulled everything up.

Was kind of "theraputic" to get back into this thing and spending a couple hours on the old heap. It's awesome to have the flame roaring again to get this sucker back on the road.

Also a member that is local to me has most if not all of the sheet metal and bumper that I need. I'll be making a road trip soon, to meet him and pick up those parts. Again this board is amazing how it networks us all together! Not sure if he wants to be named as he got a hold of me via PM. If he does, I will give credit where credit is due.

Thanks for all the well wishes and kind thoughts from all of you. I can't even begin to tell you all how much it has helped.

Gary
Attached Images

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:08 PM   #27
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Anybody need a pair of door jamb tins? I'll let them go super cheap!!!

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:23 PM   #28
54blackhornet

Gary keep up the great work ! Simon says he will come over and lend a hand "paw" if you need any moral support...
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2015, 08:43 PM   #29
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Received an envelope from SMS Auto Fabrics yesterday. I would say the material they have for my bench seat is a dead on match!

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-18-2015, 03:02 PM   #30
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quick update. Been a bit... We just sold our house and bought another one with a few acres. It's been a thrash-fest around here getting ready move. If you ever think you have too many car and truck parts... move across town... then you'll know you do!

Will be back into the rig sometime in late May early June after all this house stuff settles down.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-20-2015, 04:34 PM   #31
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Here we sit at the new place. Slow and steady wins the war... I guess. Poor old truck has been relegated to sitting under a tarp alongside the house until there is room in the garage from all of our junk that is still staged in there after the move.

But... we are getting closer to yarding out the engine and trans, and getting ready to swap to the new frame.

Also... I attached a couple pics of the hood taken from the rear near where it would mate up to the cowl. The drivers side is still in good shape. But the passenger side is the one that is tweaked from the wreck. It's pinched right along the crease line in the hood. You cats think this can be bent back into shape?

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-23-2015, 09:47 AM   #32
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

SPID says stock colors are Medium Green and White. The black top was there when I bought the truck. I do believe that there was a possible dealer option to have the top painted black, but I cannot confirm nor deny if mine was done in 1972.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-27-2015, 02:45 PM   #33
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Made some progress yesterday as my buddy Matt stopped by and we yarded out the 355 and the TH350. Which was one of the biggest obstacle for me to get moving on this. Feels good to get over a big hurdle.

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-27-2015, 06:25 PM   #34
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Progress!

Working swing shifts this week so got some stuff done this morning.

Removed the heater box and core, Removed all the front SS brake lines I had installed about 3 years ago. Sucks that the fittings are a tad rusty , but the lines look fantastic. Finally removed the fuel tank as well. Looks like the cab will be moving to the 1969 frame next week!

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-10-2015, 10:28 PM   #35
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Pulled the doors off today and will tear them down tomorrow. One needs a new lower door skin and they could probably both use lower sheet metal on the inside.

Got my Holley back from my carb guy today. Fresh R&R and decided to try something a little different this time. I've always built my SBC's for top end performance... but in this truck, I need some grunt down a little lower. So I changed out the 750cfm main body for a 600cfm main body. We'll see how this experiment goes. I can switch back to the 750 main body if I really don't like it all that much.

I think the smaller CFM will make a lot snappier and I'll still get the revs out of it I want.

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-11-2015, 04:28 PM   #36
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Door day.

Taking the drivers side door apart. Looks like the inside door bottom needs to be cut out and replaced. I'm hoping that the original outer door skin can be reused. There are 2 small rust spots where it's bubbling a tad in each lower corner of the outer skin. So keeping fingers crossed that just a couple small patches and the rest can be reused.

The upper hinge pocket is toast. Don't know how I'm going to repair that. Will have to get creative I guess.

A shot trough the PO cut speaker hole shows A THICK undercoating from the factory.

Now I gotta get the wing assembly out and the regulator and latch mechanism.

Baby steps...

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-12-2015, 12:37 AM   #37
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Yea i had that grittie worthless insulation crap sprayed inside my doors too.

Just a fyi, if you can get away with it try and just replace patches on the outer skin and treat the folds with a rust mort of some kind that is liquid and seaps into cracks ect.

I cut about 2" below the body line and took my lower skin off, what i didn't know is that the door skin has a contour front to back and sticks out about 3/8"further in the middle than the ends, when i cut it off the door skin the built in stress relieved inward and whamo no more contour front to back, it went straight across. Welding a replacement skin on and even being super carful to not let it get hot it still wants to go further inward so i cut and removed that skin and started a second time. I followed the advice of another forum member and bought a length of 3/4" angle which was lighter duty than i wanted, i shrunk one edge to put a contour into it, clamped into place and then drilled 1/8" holes, then i took the angle off and drilled the skin up to 1/4" and reclamped the angle then spot welded the angle in place, then i spot welded the skin in place, it still shrunk inward enough that i want to start over again and plan to soon. The point of this is that replacing the lower skin is a pain in the A** so avoid it at all cost..
That's exactly what I was wanting to hear. Too bad you had to go through all that swampy. But I intend to just do the small pitted areas and replace the lower inner of the door. Luckily that sprayed in mess doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the door so it shouldn't interfere with what I have to cut out.

Appreciate the heads up on the door skin. I really wasn't looking forward to replacing it. Still, I will have to be careful in bending back the lip around the lower part of the door to get the inner part out.

I've heard and read good things on using Rust Mort. So I'll be using that as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69chevytrucker View Post
oops guess i should have read further before i offered up the frame didnt see that you fixed it lol
No worries my friend! Thank you for your generous offer. But like you read, I have had a '69 C10 frame for over a year awaiting the cab and bed from my '72. Trust me... there will be someone from this forum that will want that frame. Especially with the disc brake swap up front already done!

Thanks!

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-12-2015, 03:16 PM   #38
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Getting that wing window out was a BEEOTCH!

Glass and regulator wasn't much fun either.

I'm sure it will be even more fun going back in!

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-16-2015, 12:38 PM   #39
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Jumped over a big hurdle on Monday.

Finally amassed 6 of my buds to help life the 1972 cab onto the 1969 frame. Then we stuffed it into the garage.

Creeping Death will roll again!

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-24-2015, 02:42 PM   #40
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Cannibalizing parts off of the '72 frame to use on the '69 frame.

The sway bar is still straight and I needed the sway bar frame mounts from the '72 frame. Of course they are riveted on. I forgot what a PITA these frame rivets are to grind away and punch out. lol:

Now I need to remove 2 rivets on the '69 frame to bolt the sway bar frame mounts to.

Started removing the spindles and upper and lower control arms from the '72. I will probably use these on the '69 frame, plus all the steering components from the '72. New bushings and new ball joints as well. I am going to upgrade the steering box to a late 90's Jeep Grand Cherokee steering box. It is the exact same box as the ones on our trucks but has a quicker steering ratio. My buddy did it to his '72 Monte Carlo and it is a super simple upgrade for a dirt cheap price. I'm going to put a new column in the truck as well.

Something I forgot about that I thought was kinda cool. There is tag on the drivers side rotor that reads "CD" not sure, but these could be the original rotors from '72.

Just plugging away... not to beat a dead horse, but is feels awesome to make progress.

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-01-2016, 07:33 PM   #41
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Update...

With the silly season over and some free time coming up... I was able to secure a parts truck a couple weeks ago. Bought it from a board member and drove it the 2 hours from his place to mine.

It's a 1972 GMC C2500. The grille is in way better shape than mine and a lot of parts are going to be scavenged off of it for my build. Once I'm done pilfering parts from it I will part it out.

When I was driving it home I stopped for gas, and a young boy in the back seat of the car next to me rolls down the window and asks me... "Is that The Farmtruck?" I got a good chuckle out of that.

Can't wait to get some stuff done...

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-26-2016, 02:32 PM   #42
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

It has finally stopped friggin' raining around here long enough to get some stuff done!

So the 1972 cab has been sitting on the 1969 frame for quite some time. I needed to swap out the Eaton posi-traction unit and 3.73's in the '72 housing and put it in the '69 housing. I bought Moser axles to fit the stock length of the '69 but it has 5 lugs instead of 6. I will be swapping over the 5 lug stuff up front too.

So I pull the pan off of the rear end and what do I spy? A stock posi-traction unit in there! Schwiiing! So I rotate the ring gear and it is stamped 11:41. Hmm... divide 11 into 41 and it equals... 3.72777777777. 3.73's! I counted the teeth just to be shore and I'm delighted as hell! I only read about cats getting that lucky with this kind of stuff. What were the odds of that rear end in the frame I bought having a posi-unit and the same gear ratio I have?

So I'm going to change the pinion seal, put new axle bearings in it and axle seals, and slide the Moser axles in it and call it a day. If it ever craps out on me I will always have my Eaton carrier and Richmond gears as a back up.

So saved me some serious time and money.

I pulled the drum brake backing plates (with all brake harware still attached) off of the '72 and bolted them with new grade 8 bolts to the '69 tubes. I had just put an entire new drum brake setup on the '72 only a couple months before I wrecked it. The parking brake cables appear to go directly into the stock holding brackets in the trailing arms of the '69. My '72 was leaf sprung so I'm hoping all that parking brake stuff will just swap over.

I'm also reusing all of the Inline Tube SS brake lines from the '72. I will have to fabricate up a new rear bracket to mount it from the frame of the '69, since I'm going to install either a Camaro or a Chevelle gas tank back there.

For now it's sitting back on the BFG's and ET slots bolted up. I have new axle bearings and seals on order so will have to pull the axles back out later on.

Anyways... heres a few pics of from the weekend. Don't mind the crack of my buddy's butt hanging out in the one pic...

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-04-2016, 11:54 AM   #43
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Today is one month from the day I ordered this kit. It arrived on my doorstep yesterday evening.

I guess all the talk of CPP having lousy shipping and customer service is correct. Even though I ordered through Summit Racing, I had to have Summit contact CPP 3 times to get any details about my order. Taking a month to ship in stock parts is a joke.

But, I have them and will install them this weekend. CPP will not ever get another dime from me.

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-07-2016, 02:26 PM   #44
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Pulled the springs out of the 1969 front end yesterday. Now I know why there were a crap load of adjustment shims in the upper control arm and hard rubber spacers in the spring on the passenger side. The spring was broken.

Here is a shot of the drivers side stock spring next to the CPP lowering spring.

Gonna do ball joints today and paint some stuff like the 1972 spindles. Pic is the 1969 drums and spindles sitting next to the 1972 disc brake spindles.

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-08-2016, 05:04 PM   #45
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

More progress over the weekend. Plus today is my day off so still screwing around while the sun is out. Which has been a rarity lately.

The front end has been a nightmare. Taking apart 40 year old stuff always has bad things rear their ugly head. One of the lower control arms on the '69 frame is cracked from eons of rust where the shaft goes through it. The upper control arms were rust welded to the point they don't even move.

When I removed them the studs that hold the upper arms to the frame pretty much stripped all the threads away. So I'm sure it's just a matter of beating them out and beating new ones in. Fun times.

The arms from the '69 are all not in that great of shape, whereas the stuff from the '72 are in really good shape. So the '72 arms will get a cleaning and be used for this build.

Also the lower control arm cross shaft saddles came off the crossmember and the rivet that centers the shaft fell apart from rust. I'm sure there is an easy fix for this, but maybe I'm just over thinking things. So I have to address that too.

Getting the rear coils out was a bigger job than I wanted it to be. I had to grind off the bolt heads of the lower bolts as they were rust welded into the cups. They've been sitting for 4 days with PB Blaster soaking them. Still nada... so out came the grinder. I got the passenger side coil out and the upper cup off. But the drivers side upper bolt and nut is not budging. So the hot wrench and grinder will probably be used on that one too.

I keep telling myself how much fun this is.

But progress is being made!

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-25-2016, 02:20 PM   #46
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Installed the rear 4" drop springs with new clamp/retainers and hardware. Springs are from CPP and the clamp kit was from LMC. Bolted in EZPZ. Way easier to bolt in then it was to remove the stock springs and clamps.

Installed new upper and lower cross shafts up front. The lower shafts were a tad different, but after I started to install them it made sense. The seals are a bit different and improved over the stock shafts so they needed to machine a deeper shoulder on the shaft. Still bolted in and lined up just fine. You can see the difference in the pic.

I bought new 9/16" grade 8 lower control arm U-bolts from Summit Racing. They are actually for later model trucks but will work with my 1972 shafts. The holes through the crossmember and through the cradles of the 1969 frame are already large enough for the bolts no problem, so I didn't have to drill them out. The thick grade 8 washers did not come with the bolt kits. I sourced those locally (Ace Hardware) and they will have to have a tad bit of grinding done to them to line up correctly in the crossmember.

If anyone is interested, the U-bolts are made by Dorman and here is the Summit Racing part number: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-13503 They are only $8 bucks per side. So for $16 bones and $5 more for shipping you're done. Nice and cheap!

Will install the front drop springs soon. Just gotta get new disc rotors and calipers and I can then bolt everything up front back together.

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-27-2016, 05:15 PM   #47
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Got what was left of the lower control arm crossshaft centering rivets removed from the frame.

Have them mocked up with the new 9/16" U-bolts I got from Summit Racing. Have to work swing shift today so will probably have the arms installed tomorrow or Monday.

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-08-2016, 05:17 PM   #48
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

More progress...

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-09-2016, 01:23 AM   #49
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Thanks you'se guys! Yep... swapping all my old 1972 stuff over to the 1969 frame. I used the 1972 upper and lower control arms (installed new Moog ball joints) and put new cross shafts and bushings in them. I used the stock 1972 spindles and 2" CPP drop springs. I just bought new rotors, bearings, calipers and pads today.

I also picked up new Moog inner and outer tie rod ends today as well. I'm using all the 1972 steering linkage and the 1972 power steering box too.

I had bought new upper cross shaft mounting studs that go through the frame, but ended up just using a thread chaser on the old ones and bought new locking nuts for them.

It should be sitting on all 4 paws very soon.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-09-2016, 04:03 PM   #50
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Some more done today before swing shift. New rotors (and new bearings), new shocks, and calipers mocked up. I cleaned up and painted the disc brake backing shields as well.

The 1969 frame has the brake hose tabs on the rear of the crossmember, so I need to weld on new tabs in the front of the crossmember to run my disc brake hoses like they were on my 1972.

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Closed Thread