The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-12-2017, 11:53 AM   #1
hugger6933

Witch one has more fill properties

Feather fill or slick sand? I use high build primer [a lot] and what I use is Omni grey MP282 and love it. Now I have one of my cabs on the flipper dolly and was thinking that if I had a heavy fill primer on the under side of the floor it would cover the floor better.I have heard that you can put a quarter say on a hood and spray three coats and bury the quarter. That was with the feather fill or slick sand I think one is regular high build and the other is a spray filler, I just don't know what is what since I do use a lot of the mp282 and am real happy with it. So, tell me what you think I would even like to hear what you do under the floor. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:16 PM   #2
MARTINSR

Re: Witch one has more fill properties

It was Slick Sand that I did some tests with 3 coats got me 23 mils as I remember.

I sanded bondo with new sharp 36 grit. Sprayed Slick sand over it, three coats, blocked it, went down to 400 paper, painted black bc/cc right over it without sealer or anything and 6 months later it looked like the day I shot it. Damn good stuff.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:24 PM   #3
hugger6933

Wow 23 huh? That is almost like a sprayed out undercoat [thickness wise] This truck that is on the dolly now [started out as a cheap project] I think I'm gonna sand the underside [or finish sanding it]and finish it like the top side. It is a lot of extra work but once done it wont look like I just undercoated it to hide something
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:30 AM   #4
MARTINSR

Do some tests yourself, I really believe in tests like that so you feel comfortable using stuff. If you push the limits of a product until it fails you can use that product so much more confident in the future. And if you go a little too far accidentally you don't freak. LOL

I have done this for years with these things, not sure why I started it but many years ago I started doing this. It blows me away when I see the mistakes guys make on the job where I have worked that just a little test on a junk fender that would have taken a few minutes would have taught them so much.

I have a fender out in the back yard right now that I did ten years ago. It's a complete repair done without a spray gun, 2k aerosol cans and a "prevalv" sprayer for the paint.

I got the cans from a paint rep and wanted to see just what can you do with this stuff. I fixed the dents on the fender I pulled out of the metal bin at work and finished them off in 40 grit paper. I sprayed the 2k filler primer over that out of an aerosol can and blocked it out. It filled the scratches without a problem! I finished it off in 320 or 400 I don't remember. I then sprayed the waterborne paint with the preval sprayer following all the same rules as with a gun letting it flash off, getting some air movement to pull the water out of the paint. I then put two coats of urethane clear out of a 2k spray can on it. I got that fender out the next morning, not even 24 hours after and cut and buffed it just it was shot out of a gun! I then put it up on the roof to expose it as much as I could. It stayed up there for years and I would check it once in a while. After a few years it was covered in crap tree sap and what not, I clay bared it and hand polished it and it looked like the day I shot it. Someone threw it out and I found it all scratched and bent and I brought home and put it out in the back yard to see how it would continue to hold up. It still looks damn good.

I just get a kick out of doing these. When I was painting everyday I would get a junk fender and when I painted a car I simply applied the same to the fender but with abuse, piled it on way too heavy without any flash time, that sort of thing, it often failed, other times it didn't and I learned how bad something has to be before it is a goner for sure. The big thing being when I made a mistake how big of a mistake was it? Often going a little out of the box isn't a big deal. But more importantly it told me how going right by the guidelines the manufacturer set would produce the best possible job and staying within it is the best way to do that.

Just talking a little too much here being it's killing time time in the morning, sorry. LOL

Brian

Old 05-14-2017, 10:43 AM   #5
72bowtiestepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Do some tests yourself, I really believe in tests like that so you feel comfortable using stuff. If you push the limits of a product until it fails you can use that product so much more confident in the future. And if you go a little too far accidentally you don't freak. LOL

I have done this for years with these things, not sure why I started it but many years ago I started doing this. It blows me away when I see the mistakes guys make on the job where I have worked that just a little test on a junk fender that would have taken a few minutes would have taught them so much.

I have a fender out in the back yard right now that I did ten years ago. It's a complete repair done without a spray gun, 2k aerosol cans and a "prevalv" sprayer for the paint.

I got the cans from a paint rep and wanted to see just what can you do with this stuff. I fixed the dents on the fender I pulled out of the metal bin at work and finished them off in 40 grit paper. I sprayed the 2k filler primer over that out of an aerosol can and blocked it out. It filled the scratches without a problem! I finished it off in 320 or 400 I don't remember. I then sprayed the waterborne paint with the preval sprayer following all the same rules as with a gun letting it flash off, getting some air movement to pull the water out of the paint. I then put two coats of urethane clear out of a 2k spray can on it. I got that fender out the next morning, not even 24 hours after and cut and buffed it just it was shot out of a gun! I then put it up on the roof to expose it as much as I could. It stayed up there for years and I would check it once in a while. After a few years it was covered in crap tree sap and what not, I clay bared it and hand polished it and it looked like the day I shot it. Someone threw it out and I found it all scratched and bent and I brought home and put it out in the back yard to see how it would continue to hold up. It still looks damn good.

I just get a kick out of doing these. When I was painting everyday I would get a junk fender and when I painted a car I simply applied the same to the fender but with abuse, piled it on way too heavy without any flash time, that sort of thing, it often failed, other times it didn't and I learned how bad something has to be before it is a goner for sure. The big thing being when I made a mistake how big of a mistake was it? Often going a little out of the box isn't a big deal. But more importantly it told me how going right by the guidelines the manufacturer set would produce the best possible job and staying within it is the best way to do that.

Just talking a little too much here being it's killing time time in the morning, sorry. LOL

Brian
Interesting....I like the idea of testing ! I have learned much about bodywork & painting from your detailed posts ! You are a great asset to this forum..Thanks a bunch !!
72bowtiestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 11:04 AM   #6
MARTINSR

Thanks for the kind words.

Brian

Old 05-16-2017, 11:23 PM   #7
drfloyd

I fully agree. I read everything that Jim and you post to a thread. What a treasure trove of knowledge the two of you bring to the table.
drfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:42 PM   #8
sevt_chevelle
Lost amongst the CORN

I know over on the SPI forum a few members have reported issues with feather fill and the newer G2 poly primer. Slick sand is the preferred poly primer.

Back around 2006, we had a nasty hail storm come through Kansas city. Long story short, we would get the cars all prepped with regular filler then come back and spray two coats of a Dupont poly primer. Don't remember the number but it was a nice product and a great method of finishing off hail damage.

70 Chevelle gettin Sliced and Diced Anything But STOCK
70 Chevelle SS455 not a typo its a BUICK BABY
49 and 72 Chevy Trucks restored to original...close to it
Drommer Stor....Norwegian for Dream Big

http://s969.photobucket.com/albums/a...lle/?start=all

https://www.flickr.com/photos/47922830@N03/
Pictures of my work and projects
sevt_chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:44 PM   #9
MARTINSR

I can almost guarantee that the Dupont Poly primer (never knew they ever had one) was a relabeled Evercoat, I would bet a steak dinner on that one.

Brian