The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2017, 06:06 PM   #1
homemade87

4l60e tcc shudder I think

I was coming home today and I have a pretty good hill to come up . Usually I push the gas just to make it come out of tc lock up ( 60 mph ) . When it came out of lock up I noticed a shudder or vibration . When it when back into lock up it quit or so it seemed. I did it again and the same thing just to confirm my suspicion and it did it again . I did it the 3rd time and same thing but the rpm started climbing to about 3,500 rpm so I soft pedaled it to the top of the hill . When I made my turn I gained some speed softly . When it went into 3rd I slowed and pulled it into 2nd and then 1st and all seemed well . Only had about a 1-1/2 miles to go . I have not had it back on the road . Fluid look really good . I flush every 50,000 miles .

This is a 06 4l60e 110,000 miles . This trans does not see any hard life . I drive it like a old lady for work . My question is does this sound like a TC going bad . Just wanted some input from the trans people . If the pan looks good with no metal can I just put a TC in or do you think there might be something else wrong . Would like to here some input

By the way I have a brand new stock convert in the corner I accumulated .
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:58 PM   #2
clinebarger

Re: 4l60e tcc shudder I think

When the TCC is commanded off, The TCC Enable Solenoid just dumps Converter Feed & the TCC Apply Valve returns to it's relaxed state, TCC Release is fast, simple & reliable on this unit......TCC shudder is unlikely upon release. Apply issues are quite common.

Check for codes.
Fluid Level?
Has the filter been replaced?
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 03:36 AM   #3
homemade87

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
When the TCC is commanded off, The TCC Enable Solenoid just dumps Converter Feed & the TCC Apply Valve returns to it's relaxed state, TCC Release is fast, simple & reliable on this unit......TCC shudder is unlikely upon release. Apply issues are quite common.

Check for codes.
Fluid Level?
Has the filter been replaced?
Yes , The filter has been replaced about 10,000 miles ago when the flush was done .Fluid level is good and looks good . I will check for codes tomorrow with a tech 2 . There is no service light . Do you think it would be a good idea to go for a test drive to see if it is still doing it after cool down or bad idea . Don't want to damage if fixable . I was so close to home I did not get it back up to speed after slow down to see if it did it again .

Thanks for the help clinbarger .Trans is not my strong suit . I have seen you help many on here . I will report when I check for codes .

Also was the higher that normal rpm a symptom of the apply issue .
Old 04-25-2017, 04:40 AM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Just curious..is that "pretty good hill" the one between guntersville and albertville?
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:55 AM   #5
homemade87

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Just curious..is that "pretty good hill" the one between guntersville and albertville?
Thats a good guess . Its the one just west of Guntersville towards Arab .
Old 04-25-2017, 02:07 PM   #6
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Yep..that's a nice one on that side to..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:00 PM   #7
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

The TransGo 4L60E series L shift kit fixes P1870/P0894 codes if you have them....
Also, this shift kit fixes TC Slip/Shudder.

Do you have cylinder deactivation ?

The TransGo shift kit comes with a new converter reg valve, spring and isolator valve.

Check codes, you may not have any yet...Do you have a harsh 1-2 shift ?
YoungPup1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:05 PM   #8
homemade87

Ok , I drove it today to check things out . Cold start all shifted fine but the lock up was hunting in and out . After warm up 4th was slipping and vibrate under light acceleration . When I pulled it into 3rd the same happened with slipping ( rpm rise if I pressed it ).

On the way home I had to baby it again to get up the hill (3rd gear) to keep the rpms down . When I turned it was in first and wanted to see what it would do under power . First shifted to 2nd fine and when 2nd shifter to 3rd all went back to the same problem . So 1-2 shift was fine .

I did hear some noise from the trans today as well after up to temp .

Not sure what all this means .

I did get a tech 2 this afternoon so I will check for codes and check tcc lock up and see what it is doing .
Old 04-25-2017, 09:57 PM   #9
clinebarger

Sounds like the 3-4 Clutches are going south on you.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:58 PM   #10
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

It maybe time to use your new TC you have sitting in the corner with a trans rebuild. Good Luck !!!!
YoungPup1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:01 AM   #11
homemade87

After hearing what you guys are saying about my problem I decided to get a new trans from the dealer . I am just going to swap it out because right now I dont have the time to rebuild .I was hoping a pan drop or converter would fix the problem . Needs to be back rolling this afternoon . There is no core charge so I plan to dig into the problem and see what it is . I have a friend that does build trans for our group of friends . So I will get him to look at it with me . They bring me all there ring and pinion gears for set up . We all seem to have a specialty which makes it nice when we need help .

When I get time I will find the problem and post back .

Thanks for the reply's .