The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2010, 09:14 PM   #1
StuckinAz
GM ONLY

07 Silverado Tire PSI Monitor going crazy!

I recently put a set of wheels and tires on my truck. They are just like the wheels that were on there. They came from an 05 and i dont believe they have the sensore in them and my dash is going nuts with the service monitor. Any idea how i can make it go away?
"08 Tricked Tahoe

Last edited by StuckinAz; 02-23-2010 at 09:21 PM.
StuckinAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:25 PM   #2
1971gmcshortbed

Re: 07 Silverado Tire PSI Monitor going crazy!

Put the sensors in the new wheels and re-set the system.
1971gmcshortbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:31 AM   #3
StuckinAz
GM ONLY

Yeah, I was looking for something less obvious.

Did 2005 Silverado's have sensors and do i just need to have them reset? The valve stems are different as far as outside appearance but, so was my 2008 Tahoe.
"08 Tricked Tahoe
Old 02-24-2010, 01:01 AM   #4
1971gmcshortbed

Putting the sensors in is the easiest thing to do. You cant over-ride the system.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:37 AM   #5
StuckinAz
GM ONLY

1971GMCShortBed-
Thats what i was afraid of. Thanks for your help.
I was stranded in Las Cruces a few days after Christmas this year coming back from Dallas. Smoked a trailer bearing dragging my 59 Apache home. 7 cold hours on the side of the road. Ended up getting it towed back to PHX. $910 tow for a $14 repair. Good Times!
"08 Tricked Tahoe
Old 02-24-2010, 04:47 PM   #6
1971gmcshortbed

No way brother... I was off from mid dec. to jan. I would have helped. Floor jack, tools, whatever. My buddy works at a trailer parts supplier also. Bummer man. As far as over-riding tpm, G.M. freaks out about that stuff. Especially since all that Firestone ordeal.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:03 PM   #7
StuckinAz
GM ONLY

Yeah, a friend had just put new tires on his truck then his wife bought him a complete tire and wheel package for Christmas so, i bought the stocks for a song ($100 for all wheels/tires). I needed them thanks to the Generals GM put on my truck that wouldnt take 30k miles of use. So i saved some cash to spend on the 64 i'm working on.

Yeah I was traveling for about 10 days to Oklahoma and other places to see my family. By the time I got to your area and had the breakdown i was done. I just wanted to get home. That breakdown raised the amount of money I have tied up in the 59 for sure.
"08 Tricked Tahoe

Last edited by StuckinAz; 02-24-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:00 PM   #8
LEEVON

I've heard of guys using the spare to hold all of the stems, have to drill a couple of holes but you can switch wheels after that no problem.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:35 AM   #9
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Did I miss something? Why not just use the TP sensors?

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:13 PM   #10
StuckinAz
GM ONLY

You didnt miss anything. The wheels and tires were all mounting when i got them. I have the sensors, just need to put them in.
"08 Tricked Tahoe
Old 02-27-2010, 10:40 PM   #11
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

All they need to do is break down one side. I have done this to several of my late model trucks with out an issue.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:19 AM   #12
1971gmcshortbed

I think he was asking if there is a way to turn the system off, which there isn't. It is annoying to see it and chimes also.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:06 PM   #13
Monte Carlo Man

The wheel sensors are vehicle specific and if the wheel sensor does not have the chrome metal stem coming out of it, you cannot interchange one with the other.

You need to go back to your Chevrolet dealer parts department and have the serviceman / woman look up the vin number and see which one it is.

I believe the kit to exchange one sensor was $50 and many sensors are broke trying to get the old one out and put the new one in.

Putting the wheel sensors in the spare tire does nothing for the system and you would have to drill 4 holes into the rim to mount the 4 sensors and you would still have to buy the 4 kits to install them.

Yes - you can shut them off if you have a computer - TECH II, but it voids the warranty because that is a very important part of the body control module / Power Train Control Module, and when you mess with the programs that runs it - and if you later have a problem, the tech will have to reinstall a new program in the body control module and you will pay to have it installed. PLUS there is the safety factor.

Unless you understand how the body control module and the Power Train Control Module works and how many times a minute it monitors all the systems and what everything does, it would be incomprehensible for me to try to explain it to you.

It would be like me trying to explain to you how the upstream and downstream oxygen sensors works and how the problem with the Toyota is not with the actual gas pedal but is in the computer program that runs everything. In a General Motors car or truck when you let off the gas pedal - the computer actually tells the fuel system to give it more gasoline and make the fuel mixture run rich for a second or two to cool down the catalytic converter. Only when you allow 1 error for every 10 lines of code, how long is it before the error becomes a major catastrophe? Or that Toyota knew that they had a problem and covered it up or that their only problem was that they moved their production lines to the USA and now they are all screwed up - because the AMericans were lazy bums that did not care.

Now you ask - where does all this go? Well the air pressure tire monitors in your wheels are not a General Motors Design. The Corvettes used them for many years with no problems. The ones in your wheels are actually a Chrysler design and we all know where Dodge is right now!
Why is the wheel sensors in your wheels a Dodge Design? Because it was cheaper to produce then the GM design.

When you mix and match components sooner or later you will have problems.

And by the way, the Body Control Module / Power Train Control Modules knows which corner of the vehicle the wheel sensor is on and when you rotate the tires, it looses it's position and the sensor goes off ..
So there is no way for you to put the sensors in the spare tire because it knows where they are at!

Last edited by Monte Carlo Man; 03-03-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Monte Carlo Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:33 PM   #14
1971gmcshortbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte Carlo Man View Post

Yes - you can shut them off if you have a computer - TECH II, but it voids the warranty because that is a very important part of the body control module / Power Train Control Module, and when you mess with the programs that runs it - and if you later have a problem, the tech will have to reinstall a new program in the body control module and you will pay to have it installed. PLUS there is the safety factor.

I have a Tech II, will you tell me how to turn the system off?
Old 03-28-2010, 06:11 PM   #15
va_tlc

so ,, does this mean you cannot rotate the tires? without having to re calibarate the sensors?

2006gt

1972swb4x4
va_tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:32 PM   #16
1971gmcshortbed

You can rotate them, if you don't re-learn the new positions it will not automatically learn their new location. Lets say if you rotate and cross the non driven wheels and your left rear goes low it will tell you the right front is low because that is where it thinks it is.

On most G.M. cars/trucks you can re-learn them by initializing the re-learn and dropping the pressure on each tire in order, LF, RF, RR, and LR last. It will honk when it learns the new location.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:35 AM   #17
mbgmike

I hate these things I guess I need to be RE-learned
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:07 PM   #18
Monte Carlo Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971gmcshortbed View Post
I have a Tech II, will you tell me how to turn the system off?
I don't believe that you can turn it off permanently.

You can call a zone manager and ask for sure, but I think that part of the program is embedded in the body control module program and cannot be changed.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:16 PM   #19
Monte Carlo Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971gmcshortbed View Post
You can rotate them, if you don't re-learn the new positions it will not automatically learn their new location. Lets say if you rotate and cross the non driven wheels and your left rear goes low it will tell you the right front is low because that is where it thinks it is.

On most G.M. cars/trucks you can re-learn them by initializing the re-learn and dropping the pressure on each tire in order, LF, RF, RR, and LR last. It will honk when it learns the new location.
The body control module knows where they were at and as soon as you change their position - corner of the vehicle that they were on - they will set off the tire monitor light - in most cases.

By putting on the emergency brake before turning on the key and then only turning on the key to on and pressing the reset / relearn button and then when it beeps - you have to add or subtract air for at least 4 seconds until it recognizes that sensor starting with the right front and then going to the left front and then going to the left rear and then back to the right rear.
At that point - you have at least 15 seconds to turn off the key and release the parking brake. You have as much as a minute between tires when you are manually resetting the monitors and then the system shuts down and then you have to start all over again. Once you do all that, you can go back and reset all the tire pressures and then check the pressures against the tire monitors in the vehicle information center. If the tire pressure is more then 3 lbs more or less then all the rest or if you have one that is reading really low - chances are you are still going to have problems with it.
The way around that is to turn on the key and add air until the pressure comes up to at least 40 PSI - regardless of what the air pressure gauge says on the tire.
Once you get the monitors up, you can turn off the key and bleed down the pressure back to what it should be and the monitor should read the correct pressure after that.
What ever you do - do not remove the valve core from the stem when you mount or dismount the tires. The stem and valve core is known to strip out and when you remove the core and put the wrong one back in - you can damage the monitor / sensor and then it will cost you.

You can call BOB at Brookville Chevrolet if you would like to know how to shut off the tire monitors or if it is possible. (814) 849-8313
Old 04-06-2010, 08:58 PM   #20
1971gmcshortbed

We get cars in all the time where people say the tire light is on and it reads "check left front tire presssure", we check it and it is fine. And the right rear is almost flat. The sensors will still send the signals. The body control module has no idea where the tires/sensors are located.

The receiver for the tire pressure sensors is the remote control door lock receiver.

Call a zone manager and he will tell you how to bybass the tire pressure monitor right after he tells you how to disable the airbag system and the security system. Not gonna happen bud.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:14 AM   #21
Monte Carlo Man

Yes '71 GMC - that is true. But every problem has a solution.

My point is that when you learn a tire position and then you move that tire, the computer still knows that tire sensor position and when it is moved, it usually sets off the alarm because even a small difference in tire pressure sets off an alert.

I had a 2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Dale Earnhardt car and the first time we rotated the tires, the alarm went off and at that time I did not know how to reset the tire monitors and so I took it down to BOB and he put a new PTCM into the car and then light never came on again. Bob worked for Kuntz Chevrolet.

Don't ask me how, don't ask me why. But Bob knew what to do and how to do it.

I had the car repainted when it had only 1700 miles on it, because a woman who was coming home from her doctors office, took medication out in the parking lot of the doctors office, against the advice of the doctor and passed out on her way home -(less then 8 miles later) and ran into the rear end of my car.
Johnsons Chevrolet Du Bois PA, tore that car down to nothing, even told me that they were going to put a new roof on it - but didn't. Johnsons Chevrolet even put a new trunk in that car.
The only thing left that was original when they were done was the right front fender and door and the floor pan and the right rear quarter panel and the roof.
Attached Images

Last edited by Monte Carlo Man; 04-18-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:45 PM   #22
1971gmcshortbed

Hi Monte Carlo, the tpm system on that Monte Carlo doesn't use sensors, this is how that one works:

The Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) system alerts the driver when a large change in the pressure of one tire exists while the vehicle is being driven. The TPM system uses the Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM), ABS wheel speed sensor inputs, class 2 serial data circuit, and the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) message center to perform the system functions. The EBCM contains the software to calculate relative tire pressure differences. The software requires approximately 30 minutes of straight line driving in each of the three different speed ranges to complete the calibration process in order to have full capability of detecting a tire pressure condition.

(info courtesy of General Motors), I can see how that system will turn on the light with a rotate if the system is not re-set. I measures the circumference of the tires with the speed sensors at each wheel. A low tire obviously is shorter and spins faster than an aired up tire. Also a new tire is taller than a used tire. That system is reset with the light switch, radio, or tech II scanner depending on how it is setup. Thanks for the input, take care bud,
Old 04-21-2010, 10:00 PM   #23
Smokeshow_1984

So what do you do if you do a lot of beach/ and or off roading where low tire pressures are required? Do you have to live with an alarm going off?
Smokeshow_1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:51 PM   #24
1971gmcshortbed

You push ok or reset and it will stop chiming for a while, but the light stays on.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:47 PM   #25
NONHOG

Sounds like my plan for 2 sets of wheels might be flawed unless I live with the light on or buy a full set of TPM? Sounds expensive.
I suppose I could mount/dismount tires twice a year.
No matter what seems to be an issue. Bummer!
Are aftermarket wheels sometimes a problem with these sensors?

(I hope you dont mind me jumping on this thread, seems related.)