The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-20-2012, 08:05 PM   #176
candyx

Re: 57 Step Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
turned out very nice, like the color: stick-in-your-eye-orange
something about bright colors on a classic that i like.
interior looks great too
Thanks,yea bright colors make these trucks pop especially in the sun.
candyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #177
BC Toy chest

Love that color, and the interior is killer.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=432758
BC Toy chest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #178
candyx

Kids off again for ice cream,at least thats what they told me.....

Old 02-18-2013, 01:00 AM   #179
hotrod1
56 - autocross

Hey CandyX:

Now that it has been a while since you have finished, how is it? What things would you change or do differently?

Can you tell us more about how you designed and made your frame? what did you start with (2x8) etc. I know if I had to do it all over, I would do what you did.
hotrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:07 PM   #180
candyx

If i did it again I would go with a nice big block if i wanted to waste alot more money,lol.Happy with the build for being my first one runs great people like it at the local cruise night we go to every friday.I like when others check out the frame and suspension and they give me the nod.I wouldn't mind it doing it for living if i had the clients that fork over big bucks to have you build them a car or truck because they can't.If i do it again i would by a new cab and body parts so everything is brand new.I brought this truck on ebay for 14,500 from indiana sight unseen until the transporter drop it at my shop.I saved the body which had fresh paint and was in pretty good shape cowl vents were rotted out after i took the truck apart,but other then that it was pretty solid.I spent another 20K to put it back together plus my weekends for a year but it was a father son project so it was well worth it.The frame i used 2x6x 3/16" tube with NLE front suspension.I have a machinist back ground from years ago but most of knowledge i gather on this forum picking up ideas from many builds and then making a plan for mine.The frame rails i made i took the time to on any of the cuts and tapers i would cut another piece of tube to weld back on the radius corners to keep the look of the tube from the mill.Learned how much metal bends and warps from welding after being trigger happy with the mig.Learned how to make better welds to cut down on my grinding time since grinding is boring and so time consuming.
It was a big let down after the build was over after spending so much time on it,once your finished thats it all the kool stuff of buying parts and installing them is over.
Keeping the budget tight i would still would build it the same again if money was no object then I would of built it to SEMA standards which means watching a craftsmen do the work.