The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-05-2011, 11:34 PM   #251
1badgmc

Re: How about some pics of 88-98 Part II

Well, on the subject of nose jobs, I know it's been over a decade now, but this...

...is what got my truck to this...

Like jb1016, it wasn't really my fault, but all rear-enders are the fault of the one in the rear.

I was driving down a road in my bright blue truck that must be hard to see in bright sunlight or something, when an old geezer in a white Ford Ranger (XLT, Supercab, camper, chrome factory wheels; I remember ALL the details) pulled out of a parking lot right in front of me. I swerved into the left lane to avoid him and ended up nailing an Audi that was stopped, waiting to turn left. In hindsight, I should have nailed the stupid ranger right in the driver's door. Myself and the driver of the Audi were both completely un-injured, so that was good. My truck ended up being totalled, but obviously, I didn't let it go.
1badgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:22 AM   #252
lha1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badgmc View Post
Well, on the subject of nose jobs, I know it's been over a decade now, but this...

...is what got my truck to this...

Like jb1016, it wasn't really my fault, but all rear-enders are the fault of the one in the rear.

I was driving down a road in my bright blue truck that must be hard to see in bright sunlight or something, when an old geezer in a white Ford Ranger (XLT, Supercab, camper, chrome factory wheels; I remember ALL the details) pulled out of a parking lot right in front of me. I swerved into the left lane to avoid him and ended up nailing an Audi that was stopped, waiting to turn left. In hindsight, I should have nailed the stupid ranger right in the driver's door. Myself and the driver of the Audi were both completely un-injured, so that was good. My truck ended up being totalled, but obviously, I didn't let it go.
Oh dang!!! Thats bad!! But now your truck looks sweet!!!
lha1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:57 AM   #253
1badgmc

Every cloud has a silver lining. Once you took the totalled amount minus the buy-back, it wasn't enough money to get it done, but I have a good bodyman and he was willing to work with me on it. After calling my wife at the accident scene, he was the second person I was on the phone with, discussing what route to take when repairing it.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:54 AM   #254
jb1016
"Oh well, it's a driver."

Man, I was doing the same thing...thinking about how I'd wanted to ditch my cowl hood and LED parking lights anyway...not the way I'd had in mind, but still I had lots of time to think about it, cuz it took the trooper an hour and a half to get to us.

And I'd seen those pics before, but I forgot how hard a shot your truck took. I don't think insurance would have totalled mine, but since I only have liability on it, it wasn't an issue. It was just painful on my wallet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Petty
I don't know, but I've been told: You never slow down, you never grow old.
jb1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:02 PM   #255
Dub_X
Professional Crow Bar Tosser

Well, I guess there's no shame in showing mine lol.

It looked like this when I got it:

PO decided to drink and drive. Rear-ended someone, got a DUI, and couldn't afford the tow-bill. Signed the truck off to the salvage yard, my dad's cousin bought it, and my dad traded him a goosneck trailer for the truck. Next day we had it back together and on the road, and the following week we got a new front clip to put on.

Here's how she sits today:

Front clip is from an '89 Chevy, grille is from my '88 GMC.
Dub_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:11 PM   #256
mountie

1badGMC, If a vehicle causes other vehicles to collide, it's their fault.

If both parties mention the "other car pulled out"... The cops should include that in the report.

(Police accident reports)...... Most are inaccurate.

" Entering a roadway from a private property (parking lot), vehicle must yield to ALL traffic."

" Green does not mean Go...... Only proceed when it is clear to do so" (Look before you go) Even if they are running a red light. ..There will be a degree of responsibility on your part.

" If a vehicle swerves in front of you in medium traffic, that is "Competing with traffic" and is a light version of "Unsafe Driving/Reckless Driving".

If you were driving in a straight line, THEN a vehicle forces you to make an evasive maneuver, they are at fault.... THEY were the turning vehicle..... The turning vehicle is more at fault, NOT a vehicle driving straight.

Bla.....Bla.......Bla.......

My point is..... Most Insurance Adjusters no little about traffic law. (I used to investigate accidents as an Independent Adjuster) .....

Many Insurance Claims are over before the homework is done, and the Insured / Claimant is screwed..... The Adjuster wants to go to the next file on their desk.
mountie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:04 PM   #257
1badgmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1016 View Post
Man, I was doing the same thing...thinking about how I'd wanted to ditch my cowl hood and LED parking lights anyway...not the way I'd had in mind, but still I had lots of time to think about it, cuz it took the trooper an hour and a half to get to us.
I was actually considering a '99-'02 Sierra clip, but ended up going with the Escalade and Sierra bumper instead. I had wanted an Escalade/Denali clip since '98 when I first saw a pic of the then upcoming Escalades/Denalis, so I finally had my chance.

Quote:
And I'd seen those pics before, but I forgot how hard a shot your truck took. I don't think insurance would have totalled mine, but since I only have liability on it, it wasn't an issue. It was just painful on my wallet.
You never know, with your truck's age, they may have actually totalled it for so little damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub_X View Post
Well, I guess there's no shame in showing mine lol.

It looked like this when I got it:

PO decided to drink and drive. Rear-ended someone, got a DUI, and couldn't afford the tow-bill. Signed the truck off to the salvage yard, my dad's cousin bought it, and my dad traded him a goosneck trailer for the truck. Next day we had it back together and on the road, and the following week we got a new front clip to put on.

Front clip is from an '89 Chevy, grille is from my '88 GMC.
Yours doesn't count. You bought your damage.

I remember those pics, though. It's come a ways from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountie View Post
1badGMC, If a vehicle causes other vehicles to collide, it's their fault.

If both parties mention the "other car pulled out"... The cops should include that in the report.

(Police accident reports)...... Most are inaccurate.

" Entering a roadway from a private property (parking lot), vehicle must yield to ALL traffic."

" Green does not mean Go...... Only proceed when it is clear to do so" (Look before you go) Even if they are running a red light. ..There will be a degree of responsibility on your part.

" If a vehicle swerves in front of you in medium traffic, that is "Competing with traffic" and is a light version of "Unsafe Driving/Reckless Driving".

If you were driving in a straight line, THEN a vehicle forces you to make an evasive maneuver, they are at fault.... THEY were the turning vehicle..... The turning vehicle is more at fault, NOT a vehicle driving straight.

Bla.....Bla.......Bla.......

My point is..... Most Insurance Adjusters no little about traffic law. (I used to investigate accidents as an Independent Adjuster) .....

Many Insurance Claims are over before the homework is done, and the Insured / Claimant is screwed..... The Adjuster wants to go to the next file on their desk.
The guy I hit had no clue about the guy who pulled out in front of me. He was busy paying attention to traffic in front of him, waiting to make his turn. Plus, the dips*** who pulled in front of me and caused the whole deal didn't stop. I'm sure he didn't even have a clue of the mess he caused as he drove off. Yes, I told the officer exactly what happened and he did agree that it wasn't technically my fault. Either way, it doesn't matter now anyhow. That was June 2001. Nobody was injured, nobody received a ticket and my insurance rates never actually went up afterward.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:15 PM   #258
mountie

The "other driver" did know what happened... They just took off.....

(Wouldn't YOU notice if you did the same thing?)

It is considered a 'Hit and Run" felony, when the cause of the collision leaves the scene. "Now a crime scene"

Even liability only insurance has an Un-insured motorist /hit & run coverage.????

Worth checking for next time.

>> If you believe someone was a 3rd party witness, YELL at them to stay & describe what they saw to the Cops.<< It's in your best interest..... a 3rd person backs your claim legally.

Sometimes, doing that makes that person liable to be a reporting witness, and not to leave a "crime scene".

Last edited by mountie; 12-06-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:33 PM   #259
Dub_X

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badgmc View Post
Yours doesn't count. You bought your damage.

I remember those pics, though. It's come a ways from there.
LOL I know, but I wanted to feel special.
And thanks, it's definitely come a long ways lol.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:39 PM   #260
1badgmc

Quote:
The "other driver" did know what happened... They just took off.....

(Wouldn't YOU notice if you did the same thing?)
I would notice if I did, yes. I'm an extremely attentive driver. But have you never seen an old person driving behind the wheel with that glassy-eyed look to their face where they can only see what's in front of them and are completely oblivious to everything else happening around them? You could drop a nuclear bomb beside their car and they wouldn't even know it. That was the guy who pulled out in front of me. He didn't even look.

As far as witnesses, there was a lot of traffic at the time. Both myself and the other driver were able to drive our vehicles onto a side street, so we're obviously conscious and don't appear to need any significant immediate help, so none of the other drivers stopped. The officer on the scene actually saw it happen, but he was a couple blocks away and traffic kept him from seeing what exactly went on.

This was not the first accident I was ever in here. I had been rear-ended 2 times before myself. I'm not the average motorist. My situational awareness at the scene of an accident is high. I'm playing things over in my head, inspecting vehicles, checking on people, looking at who's around. These things do not escape my attention. As long as I'm not knocked unconscious or in some severe physical pain, I'm on top of it.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:25 PM   #261
Ricky78045

heres my 88. needs some minor work but its still kicking

1988 Chevrolet Silverado Single Cab, Short bed, 350, 5.7L: daily driver/on a budget restoration
Ricky78045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:34 PM   #262
mountie

I also use the window vent-visor. You can keep the window open a crack & no one can see through the dark tint acrylic. Also allows the heat to escape and no worries about a hot afternoon rain.

(DYI)..... I used a flexible/clear sealant between the lower vent-visor & mirror edge, to keep water dribbling into the cab.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:36 PM   #263
Dub_X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky78045 View Post

heres my 88. needs some minor work but its still kicking
I see no work needed. That is one gorgeous '88. A lot better shape than my '88 K1500...that thing is a damn cluster f#ck. LOL
Old 12-06-2011, 06:15 PM   #264
Ricky78045

here is one of the backside (the tails were stock and painted black but had to remove them because they were attracting the wrong attention lol)

Mountie: i love the vent visors but the one on the passenger side just recently started flapping around. the sticky tape must have been melted with this triple digit heat. i need to re-stick it but i need to find that double sided 3mm tape or whatever it uses to glue it down and seal it after. any tips lol :p

Dub_X: thanks, its been in the family since it left the lot in 88, mom was the original owner. it was given to me as a graduation gift as a sophomore, i had to get to school somehow lol... i was offered a 2002 camaro(graduation year) or this 88 fixer upper. i fell in love with the 5.7 so i chose wisely and kept it. i need to update the pictures of the truck, it has some minor body damage thanks to alot of dumb drivers here, a motorcycle sideswiped the truck(looks like someone keyed it) and the driver fender has a nasty dent from some hit and run while i worked....

heres a picture of the truck in 03 i believe. it had a camper before lol this was one of the first days without it.

and here is a small gif of the truck back when gas was cheaper lol

1988 Chevrolet Silverado Single Cab, Short bed, 350, 5.7L: daily driver/on a budget restoration
Old 12-06-2011, 06:26 PM   #265
Dub_X

Quote:
here is one of the backside (the tails were stock and painted black but had to remove them because they were attracting the wrong attention lol)

Mountie: i love the vent visors but the one on the passenger side just recently started flapping around. the sticky tape must have been melted with this triple digit heat. i need to re-stick it but i need to find that double sided 3mm tape or whatever it uses to glue it down and seal it after. any tips lol :p

Dub_X: thanks, its been in the family since it left the lot in 88, mom was the original owner. it was given to me as a graduation gift as a sophomore, i had to get to school somehow lol... i was offered a 2002 camaro(graduation year) or this 88 fixer upper. i fell in love with the 5.7 so i chose wisely and kept it. i need to update the pictures of the truck, it has some minor body damage thanks to alot of dumb drivers here, a motorcycle sideswiped the truck(looks like someone keyed it) and the driver fender has a nasty dent from some hit and run while i worked....

heres a picture of the truck in 03 i believe. it had a camper before lol this was one of the first days without it.

and here is a small gif of the truck back when gas was cheaper lol
Even with the little things, it's a gorgeous truck. And those little things just add to the memory and history. My dad's friend Dave has a '73 F#rd F-250 his grandpa bought off the lot in '73. Still has the dent in the fender from when his grandma drove into the mailbox. He said he knows he can buff it out, but why? It just adds to the memory. The truck has less than 50,000 miles on it I believe.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:55 PM   #266
Ricky78045

Its 187,099 miles after I've rolled the odometer and still has stock parts in there... It needs an engine/tranny overhaul bad. it's idle sounds kinda like it has a cam. Don't get me wrong it sounds beastly with the flowmaster turn down dual exhaust. But I know somethings off. I want to look for a code scanner and restore her back to 88 with an attitude adjustment :p
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 12-06-2011, 07:09 PM   #267
mountie

DUB x Auto paint supply or a 3M adhesive store to re-mount visor. (Alcohol or Naphtha (lighter fluid) or WD-40 to get off the left-over stuff under the stickie tape.

Rickie.... sounds (sounds?) like the typical worn out valve guide seals creating havoc.....
Old 12-06-2011, 07:37 PM   #268
Ricky78045

Quote:
DUB x Auto paint supply or a 3M adhesive store to re-mount visor. (Alcohol or Naphtha (lighter fluid) or WD-40 to get off the left-over stuff under the stickie tape.

Rickie.... sounds (sounds?) like the typical worn out valve guide seals creating havoc.....
id need to check it out and i meant it sounds like a rough idle, it sounds like its idle is at 500 but the aftermarket tach says 600i know the knock sensor needs to be re-connected(the wire split) that could be the cause.... but would the obd 1 work with the 88? i know my sensors might need replacing.. its been 5 years certain that i havent bought a sensor...... and i cant recall ever buying an oxygen sensor for the truck... :\

Old 12-06-2011, 08:02 PM   #269
mountie

Quote:
id need to check it out and i meant it sounds like a rough idle, it sounds like its idle is at 500 but the aftermarket tach says 600i know the knock sensor needs to be re-connected(the wire split) that could be the cause.... but would the obd 1 work with the 88? i know my sensors might need replacing.. its been 5 years certain that i havent bought a sensor...... and i cant recall ever buying an oxygen sensor for the truck... :\
I needed to change my sensors once. (Once before new engine 140,000 miles ago.) 367,000 today. An Oxygen sensor was what I replaced (easy & can't hurt) Just get the sensor socket to R&R.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:06 PM   #270
Dub_X

My '92 shortwide is at about 182,000 on the odometer, but I'm sure that it's off. My speedometer is 5 miles off due to tire size, so I'm pretty sure the odometer isn't accurate. My '88, the odometer broke before I got the truck. It had broke at 114,000. I had put a working odometer in it from a '90 Chevy, but that one broke too lol. i've got one more odometer that's from a '94 Chevy truck, I'm gonna try and make that one work. The '92 motorwise, I think it's on its second motor. I've only had the truck a year. My '88 needs a motor BAD. The 350 in the '88 is about on its last leg, that thing has given me a death rattle a few times. I quit driving it once I got the '92.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:20 PM   #271
mountie

Quote:
My '92 shortwide is at about 182,000 on the odometer, but I'm sure that it's off. My speedometer is 5 miles off due to tire size, so I'm pretty sure the odometer isn't accurate. My '88, the odometer broke before I got the truck. It had broke at 114,000. I had put a working odometer in it from a '90 Chevy, but that one broke too lol. i've got one more odometer that's from a '94 Chevy truck, I'm gonna try and make that one work. The '92 motorwise, I think it's on its second motor. I've only had the truck a year. My '88 needs a motor BAD. The 350 in the '88 is about on its last leg, that thing has given me a death rattle a few times. I quit driving it once I got the '92.
Until my new engine arrived, I had 50Wt. oil in it. Got a 4-bolt main / carb / Vortec heads...... $1,350.00. I love it.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:52 PM   #272
Dub_X

Quote:
Until my new engine arrived, I had 50Wt. oil in it. Got a 4-bolt main / carb / Vortec heads...... $1,350.00. I love it.
When I get money, I'm thinking of putting Vortec 5700 heads on my 350 TBI in my '92. I was thinking about saving up for an LS3 swap, but why waste money on it when my engine runs perfect, y'know?
Old 12-06-2011, 09:11 PM   #273
mountie

Quote:
When I get money, I'm thinking of putting Vortec 5700 heads on my 350 TBI in my '92. I was thinking about saving up for an LS3 swap, but why waste money on it when my engine runs perfect, y'know?
The 350 is fine...... Save your other money for a 'Vette
Old 12-06-2011, 09:54 PM   #274
Ricky78045

my 350 block is fine on highway miles... from laredo to austin and back in one tank thats roughly 470 miles... hehe i was thinking bout leaving the nice beefy 350 with a better cam. i think my friend said the rv cam should be fine if im leaving the truck stock.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:04 PM   #275
killthewabbit
Spear and magic helmet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1016 View Post
Went from this...
Attachment 837793

to this...
Attachment 837794

and now, this...
Attachment 837795
Dang dude, sorry to hear it. Traffic is nasty around here at rush hour. Glad you're OK and the truck is already back in good shape
killthewabbit is offline   Reply With Quote