The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-27-2017, 11:19 AM   #1
old51sedan

New tilt automatic column wiring

Just installing a new repo tilt column. Upon removing original automatic column from truck (1969 stepside) I unplugged the harness, but have an extra wire (I thinking for indicator light) that runs up and is connected to the back of the dash on the right side of the speedometer. I turned it a 1/4 turn and removed light, wire and all. My new column has one wire that I believe should plug into the fuse panel. Am I right so far and if so what do I do with the original one, just cut the wire and plug it back in?
old51sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:53 PM   #2
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: New tilt automatic column wiring

If you had a standard column you probably had the fiber optic light to the gear indicator.It's next to the speedometer. The tilts had a regular wired light with the bulb in the column behind the indicator.

Name:  temperature gauge 018.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  45.8 KB

The wire can be connected to any of the cluster light wires or there may be a bulb that goes in place of the fiber optic light that the wire can connect to. The normal lights for the instrument cluster connect to pin 8 on the cluster plug, if you have a gauge cluster, or to pin 12 on the plug if you have a idiot light cluster.

There may also be a spade next to the pnl lts fuse in the fuse panel, that you can plug the wire into.

lower right. It will have 12 volts with the headlight switch pulled.

Name:  fuse box.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  69.0 KB

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:15 AM   #3
old51sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
If you had a standard column you probably had the fiber optic light to the gear indicator.It's next to the speedometer. The tilts had a regular wired light with the bulb in the column behind the indicator.

Attachment 1646509

The wire can be connected to any of the cluster light wires or there may be a bulb that goes in place of the fiber optic light that the wire can connect to. The normal lights for the instrument cluster connect to pin 8 on the cluster plug, if you have a gauge cluster, or to pin 12 on the plug if you have a idiot light cluster.

There may also be a spade next to the pnl lts fuse in the fuse panel, that you can plug the wire into.

Attachment 1646499

That is exactly the place that the old column is connected to. I should be able to remove the fiber optic wire from the bulb and just reinstall the bulb right? Then find a place in the fuse panel to plug in the indicator light from the new tilt column, correct? I really appreciate the help and also the diagrams.
Old 05-14-2017, 10:48 AM   #4
old51sedan

Quote:

Attachment 1646509

Attachment 1646499
I sure appreciate the help, I know have it plugged into the spade next to the PNL and it comes on with the headlights. I have a bigger problem which I posted a few days ago. I don't have any power to the brake lights, backup lights, and turn signals. I've unhooked the 8 wire harness and only have power (12 volt probe) to the black wire (horn) with the key on I also have power to the purple wire (turn signal flasher) and that's it. Do I have a bad ground? I'm really puzzled, can't even drive the truck. Hopefully you have some ideas????
Old 05-14-2017, 02:36 PM   #5
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by old51sedan View Post
I sure appreciate the help, I know have it plugged into the spade next to the PNL and it comes on with the headlights. I have a bigger problem which I posted a few days ago. I don't have any power to the brake lights,[ Orange wire from fuse panel to the brake light switch, then white wire from brake light switch to the column connector] backup lights,[Light green wire from the fuse panel to the neutral safety switch then dark green out through the firewall to the rear BU lights, and turn signals. [check purple wire from fuse panel to the column connector.] I've unhooked the 8 wire harness and only have power (12 volt probe) to the black wire (horn) ; [No power this is a ground wire to the horn relay and the hon button on the steering column.] with the key on I also have power to the purple wire (turn signal flasher) and that's it. Do I have a bad ground? I'm really puzzled, can't even drive the truck. Hopefully you have some ideas????
Gotta go to Mother's Day dinner be back tonight.VV

74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Old 05-15-2017, 09:19 AM   #6
old51sedan

Unhappy Re: New tilt automatic column wiring

Quote:
Gotta go to Mother's Day dinner be back tonight.VV
Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it. Orange wire & white wire going to and from the brake light switch seem to be connected but I don't get any signs of power with my probe. The BU light green wire is connected on both ends and the dark green one goes back through the firewall into the harness. The purple wires are both tight in the connector and plugged into the switch on the column also. The only other wire that I remember unhooking was the wire on the Power brake master cyclinder under the hood, but I have plugged that back in. All the fuses seem to be good, I checked them with the probe and they have power on each end. I'm really stumped............
Old 05-15-2017, 01:18 PM   #7
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by old51sedan View Post
Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it. Orange wire & white wire going to and from the brake light switch seem to be connected but I don't get any signs of power with my probe. The BU light green wire is connected on both ends and the dark green one goes back through the firewall into the harness. The purple wires are both tight in the connector and plugged into the switch on the column also. The only other wire that I remember unhooking was the wire on the Power brake master cyclinder under the hood, but I have plugged that back in. All the fuses seem to be good, I checked them with the probe and they have power on each end. I'm really stumped............
There's only three wires going onto the TS signal switch. The brown emergency flasher, and the white brake light wires have full time power and the purple turn signal has poser with the key on. The rest are outgoing wires to the various lights. Not including the black horn ground wire for the relay and the horn button.

The orange wire from the fuse panel to the headlight switch carries power for the tail lights and dash lights.

The backup lights run from the fuse panel to the NSS switch and if you have power on the stop tail fuse and the backup light fuse then the problem must be down stream of the fuse panel.
The dome light is powered by the orange wire from the dome light fuse. If it works then the orange wire is getting power at the fuse panel but the ground side of the dome light is the switched side and it is a white wire that grounds by the headlight switch and the door switches.

This is the orange wire at the fuse panel showing the things it feeds.
It also shows the diagram from the key switch to the fuse panel. The brown wire is the accessory wire for the turn signal flasher, and the wiper switch also the heater fan switch or AC if you have it.
It also shows the red wire from the cab junction for full time hot feed to the orange wire and the E flasher. The pink wire from the key switch powers the dash cluster. Notice the junction of the pink wires for the ignition and the fuse panel.

Name:  Cab-1web 1.JPG
Views: 152
Size:  97.0 KB

This diagram shows the orange wire going to the headlight switch and the brown wire from the switch which powers the taillights and the front parking lights.

Name:  Cab-2-web.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  104.5 KB

74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide