The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-27-2009, 11:35 PM   #1
adrynalinjunkie

So WHERE is you Favorite Place to Order Quality Parts

So I am sure everyone on here has ordered parts for their truck. Where is you favorite place to order parts that are good quality. Not thin crappy flimsy copies?

I would say the best place I have found is Mar-K but unfortunately they only sell mostly bed parts.

This is NOT meant to be a Negative post in which companies are Bashed, this is positive only so we can help each other find the best quality parts
adrynalinjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:33 AM   #2
eventytoo

Re: So WHERE is you Favorite Place to Order Quality Parts

Well iv also had good luck with mar-k. There credit card policy suks. Nice bed sides. Classic Parts Of America lotta money spent threw them lotta parts ordered no trouble kinda crapy packaging (all in one box throw it on top of oneanother then lets put newspaer on top of that). LMC Truck also good. But I lost faith in them when I ordered hood hinges from em for my 76 gmc. Took me 8 hours to get them to work right.
eventytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:12 AM   #3
MOTHERTRUCKERS

Lots of good suppliers out there, look for one that knows trucks and understands what parts you need and can help you with your project not just take your order.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:51 AM   #4
mr48chev

I'd rather buy from the guys who build their own trucks with the products they sell. I'd rather have the best part than the best price.

I've been over to The Classic Heartbeat store and Wes let me do the touch and feel thing with the pieces. "Here check this and I am installing one on my truck over there". WWW.classicheartbeat.com

I haven't bought anything from Mothertruckers yet but after checking the catalog I will most likely place an order at some time. Good online catalog and again someone who uses the parts he sells in his shop.

I would rather buy from a source where I can call and talk to the same person and hopefully the owner or manager every time.
Or email as the case may be. I did the purchasing for a plant for a major national food processing company for several years and managed to build relationships with a number of vendors reps whom I could count on to give me personalized service because I was "their" customer and not just customer # 85679.
Sometimes you have to go through the big outfits because they are the only ones who have a certain part in stock especially for the guys who are doing full to showroom restorations and need that hard to get original style piece to make the truck authentic.

Shipping is also a serous consideration. If I have a large purchase such as a hood I can drive to the Portland, Or/Vancouver, Wa or Olympia,Wa areas for less than I can have large parts shipped. It would be a long day and lots of miles but I could manage to make a loop and hit about 4 vendors shops in the PNW in one day. That could save several hundreds of dollars in shipping on a hood, bumpers and bigger body parts.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:30 PM   #5
adrynalinjunkie

Come on folks I know almost everyone on here has ordered parts for their project, where did you get the best quality stuff ???

I agree with Mr48 above 100% !!!:Chevy:

BUT I live in Washington Too so I have to pay sales tax when I buy (or order from) WA folks, so if I could find out of state venders that would be ideal.

I have however spent WAY too many hours trying to make crappy patch panels fit on this truck, I would gladly pay double for some of the patch panels that fit like a glove like the black EDP front passenger cowl piece that I bought from the old Chevy Duty (the one that has the louvers for the heater fresh air) I am sure that came from the Orient and it was excellent! However I bought door handles from them and window cranks that I was VERRRRY disappointed with.

I don't want a Chinese tailgate that will crush if my fat butt sits (or jumps) on it. That is why we will be buying it from Mar-K

Hasen't anybody else bought quality from other places ?

What about the Filling station? They look quality, Anybody?
Old 02-28-2009, 05:40 PM   #6
Kim57

I think a big part of this has to do with what you are looking for.
I've bought from Brothers and have been pleased with the quality and service. My truck has a chevelle front clip and the suspension parts I'm getting from a place that specializes in the A and G body cars.
I just ordered a brake pedal assembly from Pirate Jack and if the part is as good as the service I should be more than happy with it.
Kim
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:03 PM   #7
b00sted

U like Classic Truck Parts... I have bought from them in th epast for my 55 I had an dth e50 and had nothing but great service and good parts that worked. I hav eyet to see a reason to try anyone else..... Good prices as well...
Old 02-28-2009, 08:28 PM   #8
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

I've brought from GMC Paul, Brothers, Classic Truck Parts, The Truck Shop, and Bob's Chevy Trucks and never had an issue with any of them.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 04:57 PM   #9
Sinisterspeed

I like this thread. I am constantly looking for a good supplier for these parts and usually find people that don't know what they are doing,selling, or how to treat a customer.

I personally have ordered from:

Brothers, = Good Product,
1st time. lost my 1 pc window order twice. When it finally arrived it was great.
2nd time. Got all the marker lights, and other parts pretty quickly and prices were pretty good.

CPP. Just ordered some power steering stage 1 kit last Monday. They didn't know much about it. So, I'm hoping that it fits at described.

Summit. Seems to be pretty good. No issues; pretty good prices.(know what you want when you call though)

Jegs: Same as ordering from Summit so far.

Zigs Street Rods. (Used to work there) Previous owner was rude to customers.(thats why I quit)
New owner isn't much better in person. They are terrible about customer service but sell great stuff at great prices. ( I try everything I can to get it somewhere else for same stuff and prices) However looks I'm getting ready to spend another 3500 with them.

Carolina Classic Trucks. Great customer service, great product, never messed up 1 of my 3 orders through them. Even called me back when they found out they could get product not shown in their catalog (160mph mechanical speedo they only showed the 200mph one)
Even with shipping across the country their prices were right in line if not better then alot of the other places I have shopped.

No Limit Engineering: Rude on the phone, wouldn't let me talk to a mechanic or someone who had installed their dash panels. It says on their 67-72 dash panels they will fit Chevy but WILL NOT FIT GMC.(This is true in a 55-59 for sure) I called them and tried to find out why. They said if thats what it says in the catalog then thats what it means. I tried to explain I have built many of these trucks and to my knowledge the dash is the same from one to the other, could you find anyone there that could tell me what there is that keeps it from fitting in a GMC? She then said "IT WONT FIT" and hung up on me. Since they had what I wanted I actually still ordered it through Carolina Classic Trucks and even got it cheaper. I needed Power Steering Stuff No Limit sells.. I refuse to order or call them again after that issue.. Inexcusable in my opinion. If you don't know just say so or find out. What do you think they would say now if I call them and said I put it in a GMC without issues? personally I don't care. I hope they loose more business over that chick that answered the phone.

Anyway.. Thats all i can think of.. I have used all of these places in the past year on 55-59 parts as well as 67-72 parts.

70 GMC Longhorn (A.K.A Money Bucket)
57 Chev 3100
05 Chevy LLY Dmax.
67 Chevy Camaro

Dad's Budget Build 55

My Longhorn Build
Sinisterspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:01 PM   #10
OrrieG

I have gotten parts from Mar-K (metal parts made in USA), LMC (misc. trim), Summitt (engine and performance parts), Performance On-Line (gas tank; "minor" notching is an understatement but killer price) and Jim Carter (one of the original truck aftermarket guys, hinge kit, latch and door regulator kits before they were reporduced, misc. trim) and Yogi's (gas tank sender, instructions were a joke). I've always gotten what I ordered with fair shipping from all of them. Never had to return anything.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:04 PM   #11
robin58

Mar-K: great quality, great people
Jim Carter: ditto
Classic Parts (old Chevy Duty): no bad experiences
Brothers: I've had good luck with them. Quality/goods pretty much same as elsewhere
CPP: Too bad their after sales service is the worst IMHO. I'll never buy anything from them again
Golden State Parts: not sure if they still sell quality used parts but I used them a few times to buy some good used trim. They were also honest enough to advise me not to buy something as they felt the Far Eastern quality of something they were selling was not up to par
Classic Industries: occasionally used when their discounts/free shipping make it attractive to buy from them
Steele Rubber: by far the best quality for rubber products
LMC: they've messed up a few times but have always promptly shipped out the correct part usually before I've even returned the incorrectly shipped part

Others I've used for smaller stuff: Yogi's, Pro's Picks, Hagen, Watson's STreetworks
robin58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:00 PM   #12
stan3018

lmc.com go on line and order a free catalog or .go to classicparts.com
stan3018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:23 PM   #13
bensimmons_05

Definately classic performance products for suspension, engine mounts, brakes, etc.
dor(www.classicperform.com) ebay for odds and ends (you will be very suprised how much money you can save) and LMC truck for original type parts. Thats my input..

---The shop's live video feed--- <<< See what I'm up to!

Last edited by bensimmons_05; 03-03-2009 at 10:26 AM.
bensimmons_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:14 AM   #14
robin58

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensimmons_05 View Post
Definately classic performance products for suspension, engine mounts, brakes, etc. Most other dealers that sell the same type products use them as a vendor
Unless they've really changed how they do business in the last year, that would be untrue in my experience. The majority of stuff CPP sells is manufactured by others. Drop axles come from CenPen, 4-links come from TCI, brakes come from again someone else. I spent days chasing down their suppliers for technical questions after repeatedly being told by Randy at CPP that they weren't the manufacturer and couldn't assist with technical issues. They may "package" the items from various suppliers but they sure do not manufacture most of it. The trouble is when they put the wrong item in the kit, you've got a headache trying to figure out what it is supposed to be.

Last edited by robin58; 03-03-2009 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:25 AM   #15
bensimmons_05

I apologize I put the wrong thing. but most other vendors that sell the exact same parts from the same manufacturers, do have a greater price tag on them (only from what I can tell).

---The shop's live video feed--- <<< See what I'm up to!

Last edited by bensimmons_05; 03-03-2009 at 10:27 AM.
bensimmons_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:38 PM   #16
robin58

That would be true, they do have great prices which in some cases are achieved because as I indicated they "package" items in their location from what I was told. For example with the front brake conversions, they get the brackets from supplier A, the rotors etc from B, the hardware from C, etc. The problem arises when something is wrong or they run out of it which happened to me with the front disc conversion - they ran out of spacers. Normally I couldn't have cared less about having to run to a local supplier to get a $2 item, but they had no idea what the specs were on the item leaving me high and dry. It took numerous phone calls to finally track down precisely who they acquired what from so I could go get the part I needed. Or for example when they first started selling the drop axles they would advise you to buy new kingpins. Only one minor issue: the stock/replacement kingpins they sell aren't the correct one's for the drop axle.

I am sure most people have better luck with CPP, my experiences were just repetitively poor. I finally decided that I'd rather pay the extra $50 and know I could count on some post-sale service.

Last edited by robin58; 03-03-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:31 PM   #17
BIG CHEVY 3600
BIG CHEVY 3600 LONGBOX

I like LMC for sheetmetal and weird parts. Their catalog has pictures showing where the part goes.
https://secure.steelerubber.com/homeframes.html
http://www.americanautowire.com/StreetRod.html
http://www.classicperform.com/
http://www.summitracing.com/
http://www.secondskinaudio.com/
http://www.peteandjakes.com/

...and many more...

http://s729.photobucket.com/albums/w...cpZZ3QQtppZZ20
BIG CHEVY 3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:29 AM   #18
CAL 58 GMC

CPP, Jim Carters, Brothers, Mar-K & Classic Truck Parts. For 1960 to 1972 Early Classics would be on the top of my list. Be carefull with LMC. Not everything LMC sell is junk, but some of the stuff is.

Last edited by CAL 58 GMC; 03-05-2009 at 01:33 AM.
CAL 58 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:31 PM   #19
adrynalinjunkie

[QUOTE=Sinisterspeed;3173834]I like this thread. I am constantly looking for a good supplier for these parts and usually find people that don't know what they are doing,selling, or how to treat a customer.

Zigs Street Rods. (Used to work there) Previous owner was rude to customers.(thats why I quit)
New owner isn't much better in person. They are terrible about customer service but sell great stuff at great prices. ( I try everything I can to get it somewhere else for same stuff and prices) However looks I'm getting ready to spend another 3500 with them.

We are going to be ordering the Heights Super Ride II very soon and Heights recomended Zigs in the Portland area, THIS REALLY SUCKS To hear!!!

I just don't like giving my money to a holes when I could spend it with nice people elsewhere.

I just saw CP has a sale right now with free shipping maybe I can go that route and then I won't have to drive to Portland

THANKS for all the info here guys !!! Keep it coming, this is the best part of any internet forum NON sales driven advice from other hobbiest that are not trying to sell me anything!
Old 03-06-2009, 06:40 PM   #20
alden

I placed my first order from classic parts about a week ago. All but one part that was on backorder has come in. The initial order which consisted of one box for the gas tank and another >80lb box of all the other parts seemed to be packaged pretty well. Only two small items were missing (out of an order of nearly 100 parts) and when I called them to let them know I was missing those parts they said no problem and they were at my door two days later. You really can't beat service like that!

I've got my first order with Brothers in for an item that is back ordered, so I'll have to provide feedback on that when it comes in.

of note - in addition to the free shipping over $300, there is a point when they give 5% off the entire order (can't remember the amount, but I think it was around $1000 or maybe $1200) and they threw in a t-shirt with my order to boot

Last edited by alden; 03-06-2009 at 06:41 PM.
alden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:02 AM   #21
Sinisterspeed

[quote=adrynalinjunkie;3183685]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinisterspeed View Post
I like this thread. I am constantly looking for a good supplier for these parts and usually find people that don't know what they are doing,selling, or how to treat a customer.

We are going to be ordering the Heights Super Ride II very soon and Heights recomended Zigs in the Portland area, THIS REALLY SUCKS To hear!!!

I just don't like giving my money to a holes when I could spend it with nice people elsewhere.

I just saw CP has a sale right now with free shipping maybe I can go that route and then I won't have to drive to Portland

THANKS for all the info here guys !!! Keep it coming, this is the best part of any internet forum NON sales driven advice from other hobbiest that are not trying to sell me anything!

Just PM'd you

70 GMC Longhorn (A.K.A Money Bucket)
57 Chev 3100
05 Chevy LLY Dmax.
67 Chevy Camaro

Dad's Budget Build 55

My Longhorn Build
Sinisterspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:15 AM   #22
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Guy's I usually spend my time on the 67-72 BB but I was reading thru this thread and thought I would give you a heads up.Some of the vendors on the BB(Tim Christian for one) carry the 47-up parts though they don't push them as much.As always "value"(meaning the spot where quality and price meet) is the first consideration,but you might try giving some of the BB vendors a chance.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote