The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2009, 03:28 PM   #1
dogan

49 pickup rear spring mount????

When I got this truck it was all disassembled so I am hoping everything is correct for it. 49 chevy pickup rear springs. These are 8 leaf with a 3 leaf helper mounted seperately under the main spring.

The question is the main 8 leaf spring is attached to the rear end by a bolt through a bracket having a rubber bushing. Where can I find this bushing or the complete mounting bracket which isn't that large?

Also, other than the "How to restore your chevy pickup" is there another useful manual to help in the restoration?

Thanks
Don
Email donsan5502@att.net

A picture of the chassis and front and rear spring setup would be helpful.
dogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:33 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: 49 pickup rear spring mount????

A factory assembly manual would be a must if you didn't take it apart. They run around $20 and show all the little things that might have gotten misplaced during the dismanteling and moving it around. It will also help you figure out the sequence of assembly.

Last edited by OrrieG; 03-11-2009 at 04:33 PM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:20 PM   #3
mr48chev

Re: 49 pickup rear spring mount????

I picked up the factory assembly manual that is sold on Ebay but even though it is advertised as 47/54 it is a reproduction of the 54 manual. It does have lots of useful information in it though. I see that Classic parts has it for less than I paid for it Page 3 in the pfd catalog http://www.classicparts.com/WebCat1_Single.pdf They also show the spring bolts for more and the shackles for less than the NAPA prices so a bit of shopping around may be prudent.

The "bolt" that goes through the spring eye isn't actually a bolt as it is more of a fitted pin that fits the brass bushing in the spring. The bolt/pin is drilled for a grease fitting to lube it and the bushing.

NAPA still shows the bolt and bushing kit http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPage...d=7&SubCatId=3
That might give you a "keep the other guys honest" price.

Last edited by mr48chev; 03-11-2009 at 06:34 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote