The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2009, 06:18 PM   #1
NC3100

57 drum brake update pt. II

Since I wanted to change the color of the currently red wheels to a more original shade - I've decided to go with a light gray - when I removed the rear wheels I went ahead and pulled off the rear drums to see how the
brakes were. A light fluid leak at the LR made me think it was axle lube coming out of the rear seal, but it turned out to be brake fluid. It was a good thing I went in here - the rear brakes were completely shot as well when I bought the truck last year. I guess it rarely saw the road.

When I went to the RR wheel, the drum simply would not budge off of the axle stub, even though the LR drum came off fine. Heat, penetrating oil, rubber mallet blows, etc., - nothing. I finally cut two notches into the circumference of the drum with a grinder so I could fit at least two ears of a 12" puller into the drum. It finally gave way and came off but not without a fight.

Inside were some really scary brakes that will have to be completely redone. What's great about restoring an old American truck is that the entire rear axle (drums, cyls, shoes, springs,) can be done for ~$150, so even though cost should never be an argument versus safety, it's still nice to have cash in your pocket while enjoying a 52 year old truck.
Attached Images

NC3100 is offline   Reply With Quote