The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2024, 09:14 AM   #1
Augusta

Gas gauge issues

My temp gauge that was pegged hot and wouldn't move and my gas gauge was pegged at 3o'clock position.
Fixed the temp gauge with one from another cluster and swapped a resistor from another gas gauge and got the needle to move to just over full.
Now when I turn off the key it drifts down to about halfway full which is probably what is in it.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Augusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 05:50 PM   #2
RustyPile

Re: Gas gauge issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusta View Post
My temp gauge that was pegged hot and wouldn't move and my gas gauge was pegged at 3o'clock position.
Fixed the temp gauge with one from another cluster and swapped a resistor from another gas gauge and got the needle to move to just over full.
Now when I turn off the key it drifts down to about halfway full which is probably what is in it.
Any ideas?
Thanks
You're making an assumption that many people make.. Here's the facts as they pertain to physics.. The gauges only receive power when the ignition switch is ON.. Turned OFF, no power is applied to the gauges, gravity takes over.. The needle will settle into a "position of it's choice".. What the gauge does after the voltage is removed (ignition switch is OFF) is of no consequence, and certainly does not indicate a problem.
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 07:36 PM   #3
Augusta

Makes sense, mine is now going all the way to empty with key off, good news is It is working!
Thanks
Augusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 08:40 AM   #4
NDM

My temp and gas guages were goofy after installing my new American autowire harness. A week ago I was just checking stuff when I decided to check each fuse and found a blown 10 amp fuse. Once I replaced it my fuel and coolant temp guages work as they should. I must have shorted it when I was wrapping up the harness install and it has been that way for a long time.

It is quite nice for it to work correctly again!
NDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 06:41 PM   #5
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDM View Post
My temp and gas guages were goofy after installing my new American autowire harness. A week ago I was just checking stuff when I decided to check each fuse and found a blown 10 amp fuse. Once I replaced it my fuel and coolant temp guages work as they should. I must have shorted it when I was wrapping up the harness install and it has been that way for a long time.

It is quite nice for it to work correctly again!
It's good you now have working gauges, but in the process you've learned an important lesson.. No matter what the situation, when an electrical item doesn't work properly, the very first step to take is CHECK FUSES..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote