The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
Midgets50

Cold Air intake

hey all,
what is the point of a cold air intake and what all is needed to run it
Midgets50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:05 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: Cold Air intake

Cooler air is denser and therefore has more oxygen for combustion per cubic foot. Reason in the good old days (and currently) drag times are always faster in the cooler morning air. elevation affects it to, some of the fastest times for the era were run at Lions in CA on the coast in the early mornings.

Many ways to accomplish it, insulated duct from grill area (4 lite trucks and cars can be converted to two light so the extra opening can be used); hood scoop; or cowl induction, lots of 60's stock class racers used that.

Goal is to pull in relatively cool outside air into the carb or injection instead or hotter engine compartment air. For most engines for daily use it is not a significant factor.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
Midgets50

will that mpg effect my mpg and ive got a 350 is it possible to have to much air being pushed into the carb
Midgets50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
mr48chev

No, it probably won't hurt the mileage. The only real adverse effect might be that the truck will be a bit balky in cold weather until it gets warmed up good. Not much different than running the normal exposed element air filters that most of us run on our trucks though.

The plus is that you get cool air when you are trying to make max horsepower.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:35 PM   #5
OrrieG

Remember that an engine is just an air pump, it will only move so much volume of air, 350 cubic inches per rotation in your case. If that air is denser or compressed before it gets to the carb (blowers and compressors) then you get more oxygen and power per cubic inch. That is why bigger carbs do not automatically make bigger HP, all you are doing is increasing the fuel to air ratio, anything over the most efficeint is just wasted. Fuel metering devices (carbs, injection) just add more fuel as the speed and volume per minute increases. Ramming air down the carb only works if everything else is set up to take it, metering system, intake, valves, cam and exhaust system. As you mess with air volume, you also will end up messing with the carb metering valves or injection system to avoid leaning out the mixture too much, which can lead to burned valves and bad things happening in the combustion chamber.

On my desk I have a piston from a 2004 Vette trying to hit 200 mph in the Silver City Classic Road race. He got to about 190 then nailed throttle thru the time trap to get to 200. Something when wrong with the computer, it leaned out the mixture which cause instaneous piston meltdown. Engine seized, back tires locked up for a few seconds until he got the clutch in, but he coasted to a stop ok except for soiled undies. The year before he had blown a back tire that blew off the complete body from the rear fender wells back. I was offered a ride in the passenger seat year three and declined, did not like the odds. My employee connection to the guy left me and I have never asked if he got the 200 mph patch.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote