The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-13-2003, 11:16 PM   #1
RAT-AT-TACH

im new....anyone use a vacuum cannister

hi,im new to this site,my brother(spoof)suggested i come here,my truck has a radical cam in it and im not getting enough vacuum for my brakes,does anyone use or know anything about vacuum cannisters.
im wondering if thats all i will need to get my vacuum up for the brakes and how easy is it to install
RAT-AT-TACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 11:25 PM   #2
ddsmith
Glowing since 1978

My 71 corvette has a pretty big vacuum reservior. It needs it because of many vacuum driven accessories and to some extent cam profile. The line coming from the intake manifold to the resevior has a filter and a check valve installed. When manifold vacuum drops thhe check valve seats preventing resevior vacuum from dropping due to low manifold vacuum. It is a pretty good setup. If you need more info let me know, I can probably make a copy of the vacuum hose routing from the assembly manual. I just don't think it will be very much help. The important point is that all vacuum loads stay hooked up to the reservior and the manifold is separated during poor vacuum conditions.
ddsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 11:25 PM   #3
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

All that a vacuum canister will do is "store" vacuum. It will not create vacuum that isn't there. What you need is a vacuum pump to make up for the lack of vacuum due to a healthy cam. Older trucks and cars (in the days of vacuum wipers) had a mechanical pump incorporated into the fuel pump. Now you can buy electric pumps.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote