The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2018, 07:28 PM   #1
tucsonjwt

Gas Pedal Installation

I installed new firewall insulation in my 83 C20 and now I cannot remember how to install the gas pedal assembly. I have a triangular piece of plastic, a right angle metal bracket, and a gas pedal with a metal rod attached to it.

I covered up the attachment area with sticky backed foam with a metallic finish, so I don't want to pull it off to find the mounting holes without a general idea of how to reinstall the assembly.

Also, do I need a special clip to attach the pedal rod to the metal bracket, or does it attach with a bolt and nut?

Thanks
Attached Images

tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:01 PM   #2
sweetk30

Re: Gas Pedal Installation

firewall in engine bay take a pick and pop the 3 holes so you can see them inside .

black plastic first against firewall / rod unit sits in the middle with roll pin out / bracket goes on last to sadwich all of it in place / then 3 long course thread bolts black almost like a lag bolt hold it in place .

and 2 bolts up top 1 down low .
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:21 PM   #3
Bandit130

Here is a pic of mine that looks almost the same. I cut the large L shape off due to it was bulky to handle and it wasn't used for anything anyway.
Attached Images

Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice
Bandit130 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:38 PM   #4
sweetk30

thats were a th400 trans kick down / passing gear switch would mount .
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:03 PM   #5
Bandit130

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetk30 View Post
thats were a th400 trans kick down / passing gear switch would mount .
Very well could be. I have a TH350, so nothing was mounted on it. It is still a sample of the mounting.

Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Last edited by Bandit130; 12-10-2018 at 11:13 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:06 AM   #6
tucsonjwt

Thanks for the responses. What throws me off is all of the extra holes in the metal bracket. So the metal bracket would be installed as oriented in my pic (triangular part mating to the plastic triangle piece) - correct? The rest of the bracket would serve no purpose for me since I have a manual granny gear SM465 transmission? It seems like a lot of bracket serving no purpose in my case.

I see that I have a round plastic fitting left on the cable coming through firewall. I assume that plastic fitting comes off and gets reinstalled on the other side of the metal rod?

I am going to have to remove a lot of stuff in the engine compartment and do some gymnastics to get to those holes (cruise control vacuum can, etc.) since my BB takes up a lot of space. I think I am going to try and just squish the insulation down with the plastic spacer and metal bracket first and see if that works, rather than cut it all away.

Things always come apart easier than they go back together.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:25 PM   #7
Bandit130

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetk30 View Post
firewall in engine bay take a pick and pop the 3 holes so you can see them inside .

black plastic first against firewall / rod unit sits in the middle with roll pin out / bracket goes on last to sadwich all of it in place / then 3 long course thread bolts black almost like a lag bolt hold it in place .

and 2 bolts up top 1 down low .
This is correct install. There are only 3 screws used that screw in from inside cab into firewall. The pedal shaft should be slotted at top end for cable to slide in to.

Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice
Old 12-16-2018, 01:24 PM   #8
tucsonjwt

I got the pedal assembly installed and it operated correctly for a couple of start ups, then the plastic retainer flew off the end of the cable. How does the retainer attach and does anyone have a picture of one? I only found a plastic bushing on the floor, so I don't know what one should look like.
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2018, 08:58 PM   #9
Bandit130

This is how the plastic piece looks. I have heard of them breaking off and if you cannot rig something on the end that does not go thru the hole in pedal shaft you will need to replace cable.
Attached Images

Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice
Old 12-17-2018, 09:51 AM   #10
tucsonjwt

Thanks for the excellent pic of the cable.

My cable does not look like the pic you have shown. I have a small steel ball formed on the end of the cable and that is all I see. LMC has a catalog entry for just a retainer on the end, so I was hoping that there would be some way to slide that retainer over the end of the cable. The LMC entry shows no enlarged picture, so I don't know what it looks like.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:30 PM   #11
tucsonjwt

I got a replacement accelerator cable but I have a question about the plastic silver colored sleeve which seems to go somewhere between the firewall and the carburetor throttle bracket. Does anyone know exactly where it goes Thanks
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2018, 12:57 PM   #12
MalibuSSwagon

I wouldn't cut that bracket off, on my 86 it holds the convenience center with the seatbelt/lights on buzzer and I believe the 4 way flasher.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 01:31 PM   #13
tucsonjwt

There is a bracket attached to the back of the carburetor which provides a mounting location for the black rectangular plastic mounting clip shown in the picture. The silver colored plastic sleeve is between that black mounting clip and the firewall, but I can't see a place where that sleeve would go. The cable penetrates the firewall with its own black rectangular clip (with a rubber gasket) so I don't see how that silver colored plastic sleeve would mount anywhere. I was hoping someone else would know.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:33 PM   #14
Bandit130

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
I got a replacement accelerator cable but I have a question about the plastic silver colored sleeve which seems to go somewhere between the firewall and the carburetor throttle bracket. Does anyone know exactly where it goes Thanks
Does it slide on cable? I ordered one that was too long and too large to fit into firewall so I cannot use it which was specific to 74 w/4 bbl carb. Mine had a blue plastic piece similar to that one that that slid on cable and do not know what it was for. It may be needed for your model, I'm not sure.

Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice
Old 12-18-2018, 02:25 PM   #15
tucsonjwt

Yes, it just slides along the cable. All of the cables I saw advertised for my 83 C20 were 25.5" long. I have not pulled the old cable out yet - I was waiting until I knew what that sliding plastic sleeve was for. Thanks.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:09 PM   #16
tucsonjwt

The existing accelerator cable in my truck has a curved loop before it enters the firewall, so I think it may also be an aftermarket cable. I think the 70s and 80s GM vehicles used the same cable (based on what I see available in the market and on Ebay), so maybe the longer cable is designed to accommodate different vehicles.

My existing cable loops around the side of the cruise control vacuum pot before it enters the firewall. It has worked well for me for many years (until it just broke) so I think the loop did not adversely affect the operation of the cable.

I guess I will just attempt to install it and see how it goes. I will post pics if it works out OK. I just wish I knew what that sleeve was for.

The firewall plug on the cable more or less matches the one on the truck now, so I don't think that sliding sleeve would work as a grommet through the firewall (it is too small, I think.) It seems like it would be a grommet for something, but I see no other brackets between the firewall and the throttle bracket that would accept that sleeve. Maybe another vehicle would have something in the way of the cable that would require the use of this sleeve?
Old 12-19-2018, 12:15 PM   #17
tucsonjwt

Now that I have looked at Banit130's pic again, it appears that the sliding sleeve should be on the inside of the firewall plug, maybe to protect the metal stop on the inside of the firewall? Maybe the cable was made wrong?
Old 12-29-2018, 09:02 PM   #18
tucsonjwt

I installed the replacement cable and just left the sliding plastic sleeve hanging between the throttle bracket and the firewall. It seems to work ok so far. I did have to remove the furnished thick rubber gasket on the aftermarket cable and reuse the existing thin plastic gasket because the firewall plug would not seat otherwise.