The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2014, 06:00 PM   #1
EARNHARDT#3

LMC 6 cylinder exhaust system....anyone???

I am interested in replacing my entire exhaust system since mine is pieced together and has a small leak or two. This system caught my eye. Anyone have any experience with these? Or is there another equivalent alternative? I'm not an LMC fan nor have I ever bought anything from them. Thanks for any info or comments.
Attached Images

EARNHARDT#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:49 PM   #2
DreamRyder1963

Re: LMC 6 cylinder exhaust system....anyone???

In my experience a bolt on kit is never so with a truck this old. Plus for the money you can get one professionally installed with your choice of muffler and it will be welded not clamped, improving the seal and looks.
http://www.dracoautodesigns.com/
DreamRyder1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:55 PM   #3
Mindl3ss

Yeah, I bought a "bolt on" kit once for my '78 short bed.

Definitely wasn't bolt on.

I ended up taking it to a pro and having them weld it up right. Saved me a headache and really didn't cost much at all.
2015 Colorado Z71
Mindl3ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:59 PM   #4
1moretime

Don't know the year of your truck but I bought one of these for my 68 shortbed stepside ( before lowering ) and it did not fit right.

I agree with Dreamryder 1963, take it somewhere and have it professionally done.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:32 PM   #5
DreamRyder1963

Without the cost of mufflers and headers I only paid $100 for true dual exhaust that kicks out in front of my rear tires. I couldn't be happier with it and it is one of the first things people notice about the truck.
http://www.dracoautodesigns.com/
DreamRyder1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:37 PM   #6
kcsa75

Just in case anyone is interested, the exhaust systems sold by LMC are made by a company in Minnesota called Heartthrob. www.heartthrobexhaust.com

I agree with the others. Take it to a good muffler shop and have them build you an exhaust.

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:58 PM   #7
EARNHARDT#3

Thanks guys. To be honest I find most of your answers to be odd.

The first thing is I have never let anyone work on anything I own. Not at ALL.

Also, I'd never want a welded up exhaust system. Where the pipes are welded together is right where rust always starts because the heat ruins the anti rust capabilities of the metal. Nowadays with band clamps you get a beautiful leak free joint that can be taken apart if needed because it's not crimped.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:05 AM   #8
seattle gmc

Buy the kit. Just try to find it through someone else for a cheaper price. Since its made by heartthrobe, like previously mentioned. I got there dual from LMC kit as a gift from my wife, i like it. It has a good sound and i did in the driveway. Its decent, and dosnt cost that much money.

I like to reach out and seek others advice, but at the end of the day you should do what you want to do.

2007 Chevy Silverado 1500HD Classic
seattle gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:50 AM   #9
EARNHARDT#3

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle gmc View Post
Buy the kit. Just try to find it through someone else for a cheaper price. Since its made by heartthrobe, like previously mentioned. I got there dual from LMC kit as a gift from my wife, i like it. It has a good sound and i did in the driveway. Its decent, and dosnt cost that much money.

I like to reach out and seek others advice, but at the end of the day you should do what you want to do.
I looked on heartthrobs website but they don't list it. Maybe I'll shoot them an email or call. Either way it's less than $200 to the door from LMC so that's not bad. Then another $20 for some good stainless band clamps and that's it. This will be something I do over the winter months anyway as there are still cruises and stuff going on.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:04 PM   #10
zeldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARNHARDT#3 View Post
Thanks guys. To be honest I find most of your answers to be odd.

The first thing is I have never let anyone work on anything I own. Not at ALL.

Also, I'd never want a welded up exhaust system. Where the pipes are welded together is right where rust always starts because the heat ruins the anti rust capabilities of the metal. Nowadays with band clamps you get a beautiful leak free joint that can be taken apart if needed because it's not crimped.
Never seen aluminized pipe rust. Or stainless steel. I have not seen a steel pipe exhaust system in years. I would not buy one either.

Yeah, there was a time I would not let other people work on my vehicles. I have a better job now and can afford it ..

I find your reply a little odd. I want the best for my vehicles and I am not the best person to be working on some areas of my vehicles, or I don't want to tie up money for special tools or equipment I will only use once, so I will let the professionals do some work on my truck. I certainly didn't do any machine work on my lastest engine even though at one time I was fully capable to do so.

As others have said, pre-made bolt on universal parts usually don't fit well. I would rather have a professional build a quality exhaust system that is made to fit my truck instead of buying something that someone else thinks I want.

Your truck though, do as you want, not what anyone else wants.

Side note: I worked at an exhaust shop for years. I still use my friends exhaust shop to build what I need for my vehicles, and he helps me out when I hit a problem bend. I let him do the welding, that skill has gotten away from me.
2013 Subaru Outback
1970 C-10 2WD, SWB stepside, 292, TH350, PS, more rust than anything. God is my pilot.
zeldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:18 PM   #11
seattle gmc

Your truck wont care if you have a 700$ stainless set up or 200$ bolt on set up. Your exhuast routing and set up couldn't be more simple. You shouldn't have any issues with that kit.

2007 Chevy Silverado 1500HD Classic
seattle gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:49 PM   #12
EARNHARDT#3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldman View Post
Never seen aluminized pipe rust. Or stainless steel. I have not seen a steel pipe exhaust system in years. I would not buy one either.

Yeah, there was a time I would not let other people work on my vehicles. I have a better job now and can afford it ..

I find your reply a little odd. I want the best for my vehicles and I am not the best person to be working on some areas of my vehicles, or I don't want to tie up money for special tools or equipment I will only use once, so I will let the professionals do some work on my truck. I certainly didn't do any machine work on my lastest engine even though at one time I was fully capable to do so.

As others have said, pre-made bolt on universal parts usually don't fit well. I would rather have a professional build a quality exhaust system that is made to fit my truck instead of buying something that someone else thinks I want.

Your truck though, do as you want, not what anyone else wants.

Side note: I worked at an exhaust shop for years. I still use my friends exhaust shop to build what I need for my vehicles, and he helps me out when I hit a problem bend. I let him do the welding, that skill has gotten away from me.
Points well taken. On the other hand I don't mind buying tools I'll only use once. I'd also rather do things myself multiple times until I get it right even if it costs me more in the end. This is a hobby. As far as machine work goes I do t have the skill or tools for that. And if I need it done I'd certainly pay a professional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle gmc View Post
Your truck wont care if you have a 700$ stainless set up or 200$ bolt on set up. Your exhuast routing and set up couldn't be more simple. You shouldn't have any issues with that kit.
My thoughts exactly. I'm not looking for anything spectacular. Just a stock style exhaust system. I've installed over 10 aftermarket exhaust systems that I can think of and I've never had an issue with figment. The 2 that were "custom" from shops never were quite how I wanted them.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:49 PM   #13
EARNHARDT#3

Got a reply from heartthrob already too:

Check LMC Truck, I do sell them some 6 cylinder GM truck kits, they likely
have them in stock.

Thanks,

Mike Forbes

Heartthrob Exhaust
60819 U.S. Hwy. 12 W
Litchfield, MN 55355
P: 320-693-0222
F: 320-693-8964
Old 08-30-2014, 07:39 PM   #14
mikeoj

I bought the kit from LMC about 6 yrs. ago.It when on a 70 c-10 w/250 stock truck.fit good and it still looks good.Just my 2 cents.
mikeoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:41 PM   #15
EARNHARDT#3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeoj View Post
I bought the kit from LMC about 6 yrs. ago.It when on a 70 c-10 w/250 stock truck.fit good and it still looks good.Just my 2 cents.
Thanks for the feedback.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:27 AM   #16
Shaky
Six in a row makes it go...

I've used their kit on a '66 long bed and a '67 long bed without any issue. On something with stock ride height and stock manifold, I'd say it's a good bargain.
“The height of sophistication is simplicity." - Clare Boothe Luce
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:54 PM   #17
WIDESIDE72

I bought the v8 kit from lmc/ heartthrob. Didn't fit at all until i figured out that everything labelled "right" was "left" and vice versa. After that, it as great. All mandrel bent, which iu wont get at your typical muffler shop. Local shop that does mandrel bend only does in stainless. Sorry, but im not spending $1k on exhaust!
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:36 PM   #18
1972RedNeck

Quote:
I looked on heartthrobs website but they don't list it. Maybe I'll shoot them an email or call. Either way it's less than $200 to the door from LMC so that's not bad. Then another $20 for some good stainless band clamps and that's it.

I got true dual exhaust from the headers back over the axle for $130 (I supplied the mufflers)

$220 for a single pipe system is a rip off if you ask me. Support your local community and find a good exhaust shop.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:11 PM   #19
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

I used their V-8 kit. Only had one problem with one pipe. Everything else fit like a glove. Still on the truck today. Never had any issues with LMC.

Smitty
72 Chevy Blazer 4X4, Sloppy Jo, Mountain Climber. Wife says no more trucks. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=707378
72 GMC 1 Ton Motor Home, wife said no more trucks until she saw this one. Gen 3 6.0/4L80E 4.10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761110
68 GMC Suburban was 3/4 ton, now 1/2.Wife shook her head
71 C30 Wrecker
71 C20 Scott-Bilt As weird as it gets..BB Cheyenne AC Truck
68 GMC Long Stepside. They keep following me home
71 C20 Longhorn/Ole Yellor
69 C30 Former Motor Home, Flat Bed time
71meangreenc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:47 AM   #20
EARNHARDT#3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck View Post
I got true dual exhaust from the headers back over the axle for $130 (I supplied the mufflers)

$220 for a single pipe system is a rip off if you ask me. Support your local community and find a good exhaust shop.
This system is $130 from the exhaust manifold back. With shipping it's about $175. How is that a ripoff? As far as supporting a local shop that's all fine and dandy except one thing. Like I said earlier I don't let anyone work on my vehicles. Even my daily driver Tahoe when it goes for state inspection I take it to my buddy and drive it right on the lift. Someday when I can't do it anymore I'll sit back and let someone else do the work.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:08 PM   #21
EARNHARDT#3

Well I started this thread well over a year ago. I recently purchased this kit and installed it today. As mentioned earlier I also purchased stainless band clamps to assemble it. The fit is perfect and it sealed up easily. It's all mandrel bent and comes with u-bolt clamps, and nice reinforced rubber hangers. I opted for the turbo muffler not the glasspack. I don't think my 250 needs to make a racket. For $180 to the door I believe it's a good value.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:19 PM   #22
Classic v6 GMC's

Quote:
Well I started this thread well over a year ago. I recently purchased this kit and installed it today. As mentioned earlier I also purchased stainless band clamps to assemble it. The fit is perfect and it sealed up easily. It's all mandrel bent and comes with u-bolt clamps, and nice reinforced rubber hangers. I opted for the turbo muffler not the glasspack. I don't think my 250 needs to make a racket. For $180 to the door I believe it's a good value.
Glad to hear it fit well!! I bought the dual kit for my truck a while back and hope to put it on some time this winter.
Classic v6 GMC's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 04:07 PM   #23
tx71smallblock

old thread but hows it hold up? did it sound ok? i dont want the loud rice sound either

Owned:
71 longbed Cheyenne
70 swb
tx71smallblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 05:09 PM   #24
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx71smallblock View Post
old thread but hows it hold up? did it sound ok? i dont want the loud rice sound either
I've had mine in my truck for almost ten years (maybe more) and it's held up. I will add that I bought the one for my 68 GMC with a 250 six cylinder and it was really not a good fit. I had to maneuver and twist in every which way so it would not touch the frame. I got it to work but not an exact fit.

The sound is not loud. Just sounds like a regular stock truck muffler.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:20 PM   #25
RichardJ

Resurrecting old threads seldom works very well. In this case the OP hasn't posted here in a year and a half.

The LMC listing shows long bed and short, but I don't see where it mentions leaf or coil springs. I suspect there would be a big difference.