The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2018, 11:17 AM   #26
special-K
Special Order

Re: This is what happens when.

I have disliked every new truck design in my adult life, a little worse each change. It seems to take me 5 years to start liking them. I liked all the ones that came before my time. I started driving when the 67-72s were the current truck and I liked them. So I liked all Chevy Trucks when I started driving.

At 18 they came out with the '73. I didn't like it as much as the '72s, but I didn't hate them. Squarebodies lasted my adult life till I was 33. I didn't like the new front end in '81. The '88s came out and I thought the world was coming to an end . I was a K20/K30 guy and these were another animal. I realized what GM was doing/going after and I think it was a good thing but not for me*

In '92 I decided I wanted to run a new truck and felt the new GMs had proven themselves at that point, so I ordered one. I ended up loving that thing, was the best truck and I ran it 22 years. I'd like to do that again with a new truck but I'd be scared to own anything made these days beyond it's fresher years. I don't want to work on them and I'd hate to pay what it costs.

* I think they should be getting back to the less is more truck concept. Excellent visibility, quiet, maneuverable. All the new mechanics in one of those trucks would be awesome. Reasonable ride height and if you feel it needs to sit higher you can easily raise it.

Chuck: "Hey man I like the lift on your '18".
Tyler: "Lift? What does that mean? Is that good?".

Or

Tyler: "I'm glad all trucks sit high now. I'd feel like a wimp if other trucks sat higher than mine"
Chuck: "You are a wimp"

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:54 PM   #27
3drburb

I think GM is out of touch with the times we are in.

These new trucks are huge and maybe you should have a special license to drive these ( like a semi truck ) with all the distractions in them and most people having problems focusing these days.

Around here most of these expensive big trucks get used for picking up kids and doing family stuff as parking spaces are getting smaller.

I guess the trucks of our era will be mini trucks compared to these.

These are bigger than a c40, correct?
Attached Images

3drburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:23 PM   #28
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEVON View Post
Ram is the only one going in the other direction this year, with a modest grill that doesn't look like Fenway's Green
I'm currently shopping for a 2019 Ram 1500. I really like the new Jeep Gladiator, but I'm afraid they will be priced in the $50,000 range and the extra $10,000 of principle would make my payments higher than I could comfortably handle.
Attached Images

cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:47 PM   #29
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I think they should be getting back to the less is more truck concept. Excellent visibility, quiet, maneuverable. All the new mechanics in one of those trucks would be awesome. Reasonable ride height and if you feel it needs to sit higher you can easily raise it.
Tim, you should be in charge of design & development at GM. Maybe Keith Seymore can hook you up.

As to the new Rams, I think they just might be the best-looking trucks on the market today. Not that I'm in the market for a new truck....

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:20 PM   #30
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3drburb View Post
For the Christmas party everyone wears an ugly sweater and get drunk.
Then the boss says "this is great, let's do the fugliest truck a couple years from now, it will be talked about forever".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
My apologies to Keith Seymore if he had anything to do with this new truck design.
LOL -

I don't go to Christmas parties. I don't prefer social situations.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:21 PM   #31
95 S_Trucker

Everything is ugly when it first comes out. Then it gets less ugly as time goes on.

I personally don't like the look of the 2003-07, 2007-13 Chevys at all. And I don't like the 14-18 GMCs.

But its funny, I like the look of the GMC when the Chevy is ugly, and I like the Chevy when the GMC is ugly.

I am curious what the GMC version will look like.

The 6.6 GAS engine has my attention though. I am curious to see the specs on that. I read its currently being tested by Navistar, so maybe it will end up in the medium duty trucks too. I really like trucks that burn gas.
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:14 PM   #32
Keith Seymore

Quote:
I have disliked every new truck design in my adult life, a little worse each change. It seems to take me 5 years to start liking them. I liked all the ones that came before my time. I started driving when the 67-72s were the current truck and I liked them. So I liked all Chevy Trucks when I started driving.

At 18 they came out with the '73. I didn't like it as much as the '72s, but I didn't hate them. Squarebodies lasted my adult life till I was 33. I didn't like the new front end in '81. The '88s came out and I thought the world was coming to an end . I was a K20/K30 guy and these were another animal. I realized what GM was doing/going after and I think it was a good thing but not for me*

In '92 I decided I wanted to run a new truck and felt the new GMs had proven themselves at that point, so I ordered one. I ended up loving that thing, was the best truck and I ran it 22 years. I'd like to do that again with a new truck but I'd be scared to own anything made these days beyond it's fresher years. I don't want to work on them and I'd hate to pay what it costs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 S_Trucker View Post
Everything is ugly when it first comes out. Then it gets less ugly as time goes on.

I personally don't like the look of the 2003-07, 2007-13 Chevys at all. And I don't like the 14-18 GMCs.

But its funny, I like the look of the GMC when the Chevy is ugly, and I like the Chevy when the GMC is ugly.

I saw the '81 front end before it came out, didn't like it, and hurried and bought an '80.

I saw the GMT400 models before they came out and didn't like them, so I hurried and bought an '87 R truck.

My dad once teased me: he said "...you would have seen the '55 Chevy, not liked it and bought a '54!".

I'm presently driving an '04, but (naturally) I don't prefer the front end treatment over a 2002 HD version.

K
Attached Images

1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 12-06-2018 at 05:20 PM.
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:26 PM   #33
3757chevy

OK so I had to play around a little .
Attached Images

MIKE

Last edited by 3757chevy; 12-07-2018 at 01:20 AM.
3757chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:10 PM   #34
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

My boss has a 2017 Denali 2500HD. He has asked me to drive it and I refuse. I can't see anything from the seat, and I'm not short.

My old 68 had great visibility and rode nice. Plus it could pull and haul.

I don't want a 4 door truck, that's what the wife's car is for. I don't like feeling like a helicopter pilot when driving.

Come on GM. Make a 2 door 1/2 ton 4x4 with low hood, low belt line, 15 or 16" wheels and an 8' bed. It doesn't need GPS, Bluetooth, quad zone HVAC, computer controlled windows, heated seats and wheel, or any of that other high dollar distractions and gizmos. A truck should be just that, a truck. Is it going to take bankruptcy for you to realize this?
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:16 PM   #35
truckster

Chevrolet is in the middle of a redesign of the front end of the newest Camaro due to customer reactions. The same might happen with this thing.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:54 PM   #36
Leonard60

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3757chevy View Post
OK so I had to play around a little .
I agree lower that front down. Sort of like they did in 1981. It would be a huge improvement
Leonard60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:21 PM   #37
jjzepplin

My truck has a 7" lift and the new 2x4s have a higher hood than mine stock. I agree with the idea of lightening up with the features. Give me a short bed with a nice power plant and a stout transmission and soft ride. If I want the rest of the bluetooth stuff I could buy as I want. They build them now like they are expecting a flood. Surprise us and lower one!
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:46 PM   #38
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

About that ridiculously tall hood etc...... several weeks ago we had a few minutes to kill and went to a Chevy dealership to eyeball the 2019s. I noticed that all of them, including 4x4s, had a low plastic chin spoiler to improve aerodynamics. It probably does that okay on pavement, at the expense of off-road ability. I mentioned that to the salesman who showed up, and his comment was to lift the truck. Really, a new 4x4 that needs to be lifted before you can take it off-road?

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 12-06-2018, 09:48 PM   #39
Boog
laying low

^^^^^^ yes this. Just who are the auto makers designing new vehicles for anyway? How many buyers actually NEED all those doodads and addons? I can remember when a highly optioned truck was a rarity on a dealers lot. Most all were work trucks, no frills. Then they started making trucks more comfortable and look like something to fit into any neighborhood. I bet now days it'd be hard to find a stripped model like that in most any dealer's inventory. I hear the automakers are building what the buying public wants but just how much are they leading consumers by loading them up?

I am a GM man through and through but the new Ram (still Dodge to me) is the best looking pickup on the market. It is smooth. Too tall but it's smooth.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:18 PM   #40
davischevy

The ugly truck thing has been going on awhile. I had never really thought about the visibility much until this thread popped up.

I drove this one home last night because I thought the DOT was going to spread liquid rust. After reading this thread, the hood seemed to be overwhelming all of a sudden. (You guys ruined my driving experience. ) I just now sat down in my 71, and the difference in visibilty is amazing.

On the other hand, if you get past the looks, this truck is a 2008 with over 100,000 miles. It has never had any particular love, it has had regular maintenance, and it has never missed a beat. We run these trucks to 300,000 miles, and never replace much more than brakes and a tune up. The hieght thing does cause us to have to replace seat covers about every 50,000 miles because people have to slide in and out. I have no complaints about quality.

You don't get much plainer than this truck now days. It has power windows, locks and mirrors. 6.0, auto, 3.73 posi.
Attached Images

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:49 PM   #41
A1971Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
The ugly truck thing has been going on awhile. I had never really thought about the visibility much until this thread popped up.

I drove this one home last night because I thought the DOT was going to spread liquid rust. After reading this thread, the hood seemed to be overwhelming all of a sudden. (You guys ruined my driving experience. ) I just now sat down in my 71, and the difference in visibilty is amazing.

On the other hand, if you get past the looks, this truck is a 2008 with over 100,000 miles. It has never had any particular love, it has had regular maintenance, and it has never missed a beat. We run these trucks to 300,000 miles, and never replace much more than brakes and a tune up. The hieght thing does cause us to have to replace seat covers about every 50,000 miles because people have to slide in and out. I have no complaints about quality.

You don't get much plainer than this truck now days. It has power windows, locks and mirrors. 6.0, auto, 3.73 posi.
The worst thing about that model was those 2 huge chunks of metal on each side of the front bumper...it looks like they just didn't know what do do there....and just stuck those on to finish it off....
they don't flow smoothly with any line on the body or bumper
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:37 PM   #42
68panelman

As far as new Rams go, these look like the new Toyotas, kinda like the Ford front that Chevy stole. Glad I have what I got when I got it!
Attached Images

68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:29 PM   #43
In The Ten Ring

The cutest little truck I ever saw was this little Mazda a coworker had. We traded cars one day so I could haul some stuff to my apartment. It was a straight drive, 2wd, little thing, but it was just what I needed.

My brother ended up with a fleet vehicle, early '80's Chevy S10 4 speed manual that my dad and I spray painted with rattle cans. It was a nice little truck but he gave it to my sister so it ended up in a junkyard. I tried to buy it from her but she junked it.

I like the older model Ford Rangers and if I needed a truck I'd go down south or over to California to find a rust-free one. Straight gear of course.

I think our trucks are about as pretty a truck as there is except for the 1951's and a bit earlier.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:15 PM   #44
sweetk30

at least this photoshop pic looks better i think .
Attached Images

85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:15 PM   #45
RINC

Quote:
So when real trucks (think Peterbilt/Kenworth/Mack) get aerodynamic sloped front ends for greater efficiency the little four wheeler consumer crafts get huge boxy blunt front ends.
The big trucks were getting smaller grills but the radiators got too small. They had to go bigger to keep them cool. I got one of the last old trucks in the fleet where I work. I don't want one of the new Pete's they are updating to.
Attached Images

'69 C-20
'04 Jeep TJ
RINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:57 AM   #46
special-K
Special Order

I just opened the e-mail Chevy Legends sent last week and noticed this at the bottom of the picture. Do yu think they added that once they saw the initial reaction? I don't recall them ever introducing a new product that wasn't the final product. I bet designers are working feverishly on designing a new front grille design.

Don't bother. Doesn't work
https://outlook.live.com/actions/ei?...3A53%3A24.721Z

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 12-11-2018 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:13 AM   #47
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Link goes to a blank page for me.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 12-11-2018, 12:35 PM   #48
kwmech

Looks like the Griswolds upgraded to a truck
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:30 PM   #49
special-K
Special Order

Blank page here, too. It showed the truck and at the bottom it said something to the effect of truck shown may vary from actual production. I deleted the e-mail already

Tim

Old 12-11-2018, 10:04 PM   #50
Boog
laying low

Nnnno. It's not working over here either.
But that truck. It has a face only a mother could love right?
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote