The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2017, 02:19 PM   #1
68blazer
Registered User
 
68blazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: okc, oklahoma
Posts: 63
Heated and Cooled Seat question

Hey all, I have a question that I need some help with. I am doing an LS swap on a 67 swb and I am into the interior of the truck. I want heated & cooled seats. Some vehicles claim they have heated & cooled seats but they are ďcooledĒ by a fan or it just circulates unrefrigerated air. In my opinion, those vehicles need to claim that they are heated and ventilated. Some manufactures actually state they are ventilated or are only cooled by a fan. (BTW I donít want that) Back to seats that use refrigerant or use the vehicles A/C, those arenít efficient. Not to mention I canít imagine creating/installing the plumbing from under the dash to both seats. So in my many hours of research I came across climate controlled seats. Like the picture below
http://www.pro-touring.com/attachmen...3&d=1339078022
I called this company (which is now called gentherm) and they donít sell to the public (sounds ridiculous to me but their prerogative). Now these seats operate under the peltier effect or integrated Thermoelectric Device(s) (TED).
http://www.gentherm.com/en/page/climate-seats.
This is the most efficient way I can think of to have heated & cooled seats. Now obviously there is a list of vehicles (below) that already have these seats that I plan on going to the salvage yard and pulling for my truck (hopefully this list is accurate & they are true cooled seats and not ventilated)



My questions for everyone on the forum (who already own these type of seats in a new vehicle or have already found some and installed them in another vehicle) is how good are they? Also where is the climate control switches for the set? The reason I ask is if itís on the seat itself I would assume it would be an easier install into the 67. Otherwise I would have to get switches/controls and a wiring harness to match which is not only more money I assume itís a bigger headache. I know I may be asking for too much but who can direct me towards a thermoelectric device (TED) pair of front seats that are great for cooling & heating with the controls on the seats themselves?


thanks everyone
__________________
68blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 04:49 PM   #2
Tomo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Indiana
Posts: 134
Re: Heated and Cooled Seat question

My parents have a traverse with heated/cooled seats. I don't spend a lot of time in it but the few times I've have the heating and cooling works great. The switch is on the dash in the center. I believe they have a 2014 or 2015 traverse ltz.

Please let me know how it works out - I'd like to have heated/cooled seats in my k5. But I really want to keep the original seats.
Tomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:13 PM   #3
Tomo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Indiana
Posts: 134
Re: Heated and Cooled Seat question

Looks like f150 seats have the button on the seat
https://www.ebay.com/i/372088833354

Might look on eBay (search heated cooled seats) before you go to the junk yard. Should help you decide what you want - hurts to say this but there are several ford seats that look nice.
Tomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 12:38 PM   #4
demian5
Registered User
 
demian5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Posts: 1,625
Re: Heated and Cooled Seat question

You could add the components to stock seats. The reason the cooling works is because of foam with holes and perforated leather seat covers. Look for an old wrecked navigator with torn up leather and buy the components. Not to hard to get out, just make sure you get everything including the switches and the modules and wiring (at least connector ends with some wiring left).
__________________
"Work hard, use your vacation days."
1970 C15 GMC Long Bed
1986 C20 Scottsdale (grandpa truck)
1964 Impala SS
1959 Austin Healey 100-6 BN6
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:53 AM   #5
Overdriven
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 453
Re: Heated and Cooled Seat question

I haven't been in a ton of newer cars with heated or cooled seats but all ones so equipped had the switches not mounted on the seats. Usually near the climate controls or on the center console.

If it were me I'd find a pair of seats you like. Then try using google and searching for the modules and wiring diagrams. To use the 2015 Traverse example above I just googled "2015 traverse heated cooled seat module" and got lots of info, even found a Traverse forum with people who know what they're talking about even down to adding heated/cooled seats to Traverse vehicles that didn't come with them. There are plenty of other forums out there for other makes/models and I'm sure they could help out with getting a wiring diagram and installing everything.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:15 AM   #6
darrellyates
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Gallatin TN
Posts: 360
Re: Heated and Cooled Seat question

I will give you my opinion. I have a Dodge Ram with heated and cooled seats. The controls for both are in the center of the dash, above the floor mounted console on the actual dash. They are easy to reach, and light up to tell you the function being used.

I learned something here, I never knew how they worked. But they do work. The warmers are pretty balanced, that is, no hot spots that I can tell of. And the leather on the seats is perforated, and air does move thru and cools you off really well. I've made several 8+ hour trips, and your back never gets "sweaty or sticky"... Before I had them, had you told me about them, I likely would have scoffed at the usefulness, however after using them for about 8 years, I don't know that I will purchase another new vehicle without them.

I would say used seats from the list you have might be the way to go... Good Luck!
darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:15 AM   #7
Andy4639
Orignal Goof member
 
Andy4639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Liberty, & Garden City S.C. , U.S.
Posts: 16,914
Talking Re: Heated and Cooled Seat question

I have 99 Tahoe heated seats in my 71 but not cool seats. That would be nice but I'm not swapping out no time soon. Nice info though and hope it works out for you make sure you keep us up to date on it.
__________________
1971 LWB Custom, 6.0LS & 4L80E, Speedhut.com GPS speedometer & gauges with A/C. 20" Boss 338's Grey wheels 4 wheel disc brakes. My Driver
Seeing the USA in a 71


Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour


http://upstategmtrucks.com/



Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:47 PM   #8
68blazer
Registered User
 
68blazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: okc, oklahoma
Posts: 63
Re: Heated and Cooled Seat question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
My parents have a traverse with heated/cooled seats. I don't spend a lot of time in it but the few times I've have the heating and cooling works great. The switch is on the dash in the center. I believe they have a 2014 or 2015 traverse ltz.

Please let me know how it works out - I'd like to have heated/cooled seats in my k5. But I really want to keep the original seats.
I will look into the traverse but think the switch on the dash will hurt its chances.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
Looks like f150 seats have the button on the seat
https://www.ebay.com/i/372088833354

Might look on eBay (search heated cooled seats) before you go to the junk yard. Should help you decide what you want - hurts to say this but there are several ford seats that look nice.
I understand your pain in saying but appreciate your honesty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdriven View Post
I haven't been in a ton of newer cars with heated or cooled seats but all ones so equipped had the switches not mounted on the seats. Usually near the climate controls or on the center console.

If it were me I'd find a pair of seats you like. Then try using google and searching for the modules and wiring diagrams. To use the 2015 Traverse example above I just googled "2015 traverse heated cooled seat module" and got lots of info, even found a Traverse forum with people who know what they're talking about even down to adding heated/cooled seats to Traverse vehicles that didn't come with them. There are plenty of other forums out there for other makes/models and I'm sure they could help out with getting a wiring diagram and installing everything.
Thats not a bad idea, i appreciate it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellyates View Post
I will give you my opinion. I have a Dodge Ram with heated and cooled seats. The controls for both are in the center of the dash, above the floor mounted console on the actual dash. They are easy to reach, and light up to tell you the function being used.

I learned something here, I never knew how they worked. But they do work. The warmers are pretty balanced, that is, no hot spots that I can tell of. And the leather on the seats is perforated, and air does move thru and cools you off really well. I've made several 8+ hour trips, and your back never gets "sweaty or sticky"... Before I had them, had you told me about them, I likely would have scoffed at the usefulness, however after using them for about 8 years, I don't know that I will purchase another new vehicle without them.

I would say used seats from the list you have might be the way to go... Good Luck!
Thank you and i do appreciate your opinion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
I have 99 Tahoe heated seats in my 71 but not cool seats. That would be nice but I'm not swapping out no time soon. Nice info though and hope it works out for you make sure you keep us up to date on it.
I will and i have thought about just having heated only. I just know i wouldn't be completely happy.
__________________
68blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:33 AM   #9
ACGUY71
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: VALENCIA
Posts: 5
Re: Heated and Cooled Seat question

i did put 2018 heated/cooled seats in my 71. the heated part was easy. now the cooled part??? yeah getting a driver for those little brushless motors has been a pain. still looking for them. basically there is a positive wire, a negative wire, and a 3rd wire to "excite" the motor for speed. still working on it. however, the heated part has been glorious now that it's cold out!!
ACGUY71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:42 AM   #10
geezer#99
Registered User
 
geezer#99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bowser
Posts: 10,146
Re: Heated and Cooled Seat question

Cold out!
Not in your neighbourhood!
I see you have lows of 40 above zero.
You should try 40 below, then you’d need a seat heater!
By the by, you do know this is an old thread!
And welcome to the forum!
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:06 PM   #11
68blazer
Registered User
 
68blazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: okc, oklahoma
Posts: 63
Re: Heated and Cooled Seat question

Im glad he dug this back up. Maybe now someone has done something that will help. I am still in the same boat. I have done some research that lets me know the same generation of chevy truck (2007-2014) has heated & cooled seats. 2009 and newer if im not mistaken in denali's, 2500HDs, higher end trim packages and escalade's. If someone knows that programming my 2008 computer to accept (hypothetically ) 2013 seats work, i think i would be in tall cotton. Or if someone knew swapping out computers (with a heated/cooled year) & having matching year seats would also work, that would make me the happiest man on this site. I would be so greatful to this forum i would create and post all of our findings with pics to help all of the future cooled seat in classic truck fans on here. Are there any intelligent people on here who know?
__________________
68blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:29 PM   #12
ACGUY71
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: VALENCIA
Posts: 5
Re: Heated and Cooled Seat question

hi guys, sorry for dragging up such a old thread. so here is what I have done, we custom fabbed brackets for 2018 heated cooled seats. great, now they fit, center console (yea cupholders and cell charger) and they fit nice. I did remove the head rest. they simply just are too damn big. now, I purchased a seat heater kit on ebay, and simply used the wiring to the existing heaters on the seats. (perfect) so, the switch is now in the exact spot that the lighter was. (fit perfect with bezel) they are HI, LOW and only both, not back or bottom. but this is fine with me. this fixed my problem with the heated part and under 100$$ (now i have extra elements.) as far as the cooled part, this is the hard part. I was thinking of taking apart some aftermarket stuff to see if the cooler controls will work with the seat cooler fans. If I can't, the only other recourse would be to just put in 2 speed fan motors, and get rid of the brushless motors all to gether. however, seriously, this is not rocket science, there has to be a controller that will interchange, we just have not found it yet. There is only one thing I don't like about these seats. the airbags blew, a seat guy fixed the leather. but, the upper clips in the foam are not down like they should be and on hot days, there is 2 dimples. a foam back change will fix the problem, but hell, I just got them in, and I'm still trying to do other projects. thanks for listening, and if you hear of anything on the cooled seats.... please share. In agreement with the guy up a few posts.... after having these, it's hard to go without. (yes, our winters in CA are 50 degrees or so, but hell our summers are over 110... (good thing I'm an a/c guy!!)
ACGUY71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:14 PM   #13
Andy4639
Orignal Goof member
 
Andy4639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Liberty, & Garden City S.C. , U.S.
Posts: 16,914
Thumbs up Re: Heated and Cooled Seat question

I did 99 Tahoe seats several years ago now because there was so much trouble finding info on the Cooling seats I just went for heat.

I used 99 Tahoe 6 way electrics with heat. The heater pads where shot in the drivers side so I bought the E bay heater pads also and installed them and used the aftermarket switch in the factory spot on the seat. As stated it's just high are low for both which is what I like.
I haven't herd of anyone getting the cool seats to work yet.
It took me a while to figure out the heat but after some late nite talks with guy's at work I figured it out.

I ran my grounds though a relay hooked up to the seat belt buckle so that if the heater is turned on and a rider gets out of the truck it cuts off automatic without having to touch the switch. I didn't want to take a chance on a melt down.
Attached Images
     
__________________
1971 LWB Custom, 6.0LS & 4L80E, Speedhut.com GPS speedometer & gauges with A/C. 20" Boss 338's Grey wheels 4 wheel disc brakes. My Driver
Seeing the USA in a 71


Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour


http://upstategmtrucks.com/



Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:57 AM   #14
68blazer
Registered User
 
68blazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: okc, oklahoma
Posts: 63
Re: Heated and Cooled Seat question

ACGUY71, you got pics?
__________________
68blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
adjustable bucket seat, ccs, peltier module

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com