The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2018, 11:40 PM   #1
putnam00

Metal in oil

I have changed my oil twice once in sept the oil plug was covered in super fine shavings, I know some is normal. When I changed it last weekend the oil plug again was covered in shavings and you could even see it in the oil. I know something is bad, could it be the oil pump? I have run about 20 psi when its cold and it will go past 40 it high rpms, but around valentines day i actually had the display say low oil pressure and ran really low, I stopped checked the oil and it was only 1/4 of a quart low. i restarted it and it was showing more pressure. it has just over 235,000 miles and runs good i have a picture of the oil shown

Name:  IMG_2503.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  31.4 KB
putnam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:39 AM   #2
homemade87

Re: Metal in oil

Most likely a main or rod bearing giving up . You cant keep driving it and expect it to get better . That metal is traveling the motor . Good chance it will leave you somewhere so now is the time to plan .

Either take it out and see what is wrong and repair ( engine will have to come completely apart to clear the metal ) or get a pull out to replace it with .

Either way dont ignore it . Do your planning while you still have time .
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:13 PM   #3
Tom
driving is in my blood

40psi of oil pressure at 5000rpm is at least 10psi too low.
Throw some 20-50 in while you save up for rebuild. Might work, might blow up just as quick. Its a gamble if you dont take apart to diag.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:38 PM   #4
putnam00

Yeah at times when I pass someone the oil pressure will hit 50psi and other times be lucky to hit 40psi
putnam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:51 PM   #5
7 Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by putnam00 View Post
I have changed my oil twice once in sept the oil plug was covered in super fine shavings, I know some is normal. When I changed it last weekend the oil plug again was covered in shavings and you could even see it in the oil. I know something is bad, could it be the oil pump? I have run about 20 psi when its cold and it will go past 40 it high rpms, but around valentines day i actually had the display say low oil pressure and ran really low, I stopped checked the oil and it was only 1/4 of a quart low. i restarted it and it was showing more pressure. it has just over 235,000 miles and runs good i have a picture of the oil shown

Attachment 1762565
At this point yes probably well on the way to smoked bearings. For future reference, this is a common problem with the LS based truck motors and the solution is a $4 dollar O-ring.
So the oil pickup tube has an O-ring that will develop cracks over time. When this happens the oil becomes aerated and begins losing oil pressure intermittently.
There are a couple tell tale signs. PM for more info.

Dan
55 GMC 371 2 1/2 ton. Upcoming project.
7 Devils is offline   Reply With Quote