The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-22-2022, 01:08 PM   #26
leddzepp

Re: Ca dmv nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967-C10 View Post
title it in Vermont, then transfer to your state title. Done.
Then it will need another inspection and vin verification because it’s an out of state vehicle and he’s back to square one. I learned my lesson a long time ago. No title = parts truck. It’s not worth the time and money dealing with all the hassles.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 01:09 PM   #27
kwmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybass209 View Post
Been there, done that. Had a 69 out of state... put a 71 cab on it.

My Vin officer made it a 2015, with no choice in the matter.

Consider yourself lucky. I had every other Vin officer in the state saying they'd have tagged it a 69, but nobody wanted to step on his toes and change paperwork.

If these trucks were numbers matching, with SS* or Z28 style supporting documentation, provenance, etc. I'd have been more discerning. Now, I have a tagged and registered long fleet, and an undrivable short fleet. Somewhere down the line I'll have 1 registered shortbed and the DMV and CHP will be completely cut out of the equation
If he made it a 2015 you're paying additional weight fees and registration fees based on a 7 year old truck not a 53 year old
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 04:32 PM   #28
jserrato714

Quote:
Been there, done that. Had a 69 out of state... put a 71 cab on it.

My Vin officer made it a 2015, with no choice in the matter.

Consider yourself lucky. I had every other Vin officer in the state saying they'd have tagged it a 69, but nobody wanted to step on his toes and change paperwork.

If these trucks were numbers matching, with SS* or Z28 style supporting documentation, provenance, etc. I'd have been more discerning. Now, I have a tagged and registered long fleet, and an undrivable short fleet. Somewhere down the line I'll have 1 registered shortbed and the DMV and CHP will be completely cut out of the equation
Woww brother and here I though my situation was bad. Dam that sucks!
jserrato714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 04:46 PM   #29
jserrato714

Update: So I just received the proper & correct registration. I decided yesterday to call the Chp office in Santa Ana and leave a message for Officer. H who was the officer that inspected the truck. He quickly called me back and said " the Dmw did whattt". Lol , I think he was more pissed than I was. He asked me for the agents info I used as he wanted to know what office he uses to process paperwork so that he can call the Dmw manager and assuming rip him a new one. After a few hours he calls me back and tells me. You are squared away. I just spoke to the manager at the Dmv and your correct paperwork should be done asap. Fast forwared to today. I get the call from the private agent I used telling me we are good to go. I guess Chp has some real pull on the dummies at the Dmv which think that they know it all. I suggest that anyone that has a vehicle that needs Chp inspection and is local to So Cal I would say to schedule at the Santa Ana office. Officer H. Seems to be pretty straight forward kinda guy and has a soft spot for Classics. Thank you all for the help and your feedback. 🙏
jserrato714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 04:53 PM   #30
Arnulfo

Love a story that ends well. I use the LINCOLN PARK dmv in L.A. Never had a problem there. Have registered out of state motorcycles and cars,salvage title cars too. But i did have titles for all so im sure that is why my transactions went smoothly.
Arnulfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 06:44 PM   #31
IlludiumQ36

I did the Vermont thing for a scooter of all things. SC was title optional for scooters so nobody bothered, so when I bought this thing I figured no probelm. Florida DMV brought out the big book of states & said I needed a title, or a ruling from a judge. Vermont soon got my $25/yr, no questions asked. I wanted to hang that beautiful green VT scooter tag on my butt and parade around the FL DMV office. My wife thought that would be a bad idea.
IlludiumQ36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 06:52 PM   #32
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
Then it will need another inspection and vin verification because it’s an out of state vehicle and he’s back to square one. I learned my lesson a long time ago. No title = parts truck. It’s not worth the time and money dealing with all the hassles.
I recently registered a vehicle with Vermont, and the DMV employee told me over the phone that they are NOT doing VIN confirmations. They stopped the inspections during covid which they have not yet begun again. You can do everything online and do not have to step foot in the state of Vermont.
PROJECT JIGSAW 1967 GMC C3500
GREAT WHITE 1986 Blazer M1009
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 07:36 PM   #33
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHWAY BY THE SEA View Post
I recently registered a vehicle with Vermont, and the DMV employee told me over the phone that they are NOT doing VIN confirmations. They stopped the inspections during covid which they have not yet begun again. You can do everything online and do not have to step foot in the state of Vermont.
I’ve never had a vin confirmation done in NY except on a salvage tittle rebuild
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 07:38 PM   #34
1967GMCC20

Some places can seize vehicle, be glad you don't have a stolen part on it....or it gets real.

Drive it.

Had a buddy with a 69,70,71 original truck.... nothing matched. Fortunately on a backroad he was T boned .... Insurance God's saved him.
1967GMCC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 09:21 PM   #35
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by jserrato714 View Post
Good ole Cali for you. They drain the life out of you!
Not to bag on California, but I want to bag on California What a (*^)^hole they've made of it, and you get to pay twice as much to live there.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 12:15 AM   #36
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHWAY BY THE SEA View Post
I’m talking about bringing in an out of state vehicle to California…

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 10:42 AM   #37
72SB

OP

Hindsight is 20/20....unfortunately in your case what is done is done. If I understand right the CHP assumed the 69 GMC frame had a 68 Chevy cab (aka re-body). Not sure why they used the frame vs the cab VIN, especially since it had a rosette rivet tag. Maybe the poster who was LEO can advise on that point.

There may be some out of state dance you could do where that state has less restrictions and it could be registered as a 68 then re-register it in CA using that paperwork. Just talking out loud as IDK if that can happen but even if it did, your original VIN tag is gone so you will still be in the same situation on selling it as a 68 with a blue VIN

I bought a 72 from out of state, Ill. No plates and a Kentucky current registration under a name not the person I bought it from who included a Bill of Sale in his name.

The cowl VIN, glove box label did match. I chose not to show Kentucky registration when I went to AAA. I knew it needed VIN verification here in CA and I got it weighed before going into AAA. I filled out the DMV form stating what I paid for it...cough (did not have to show my Bill of Sale which the seller just included blank for the $ I could put in anything I wanted)....and handed the guy my weight paperwork ($25) and he went out to check VIN. He just looked at tag, emission label on core support and glove box label. Done

I did need to register it as a "commercial" vehicle as trucks without campers in CA need that so yeah I get dinged with commercial registration costs like any other pickup

If you go through this dance again, use AAA. In my experience they are more lax and if VIN is held on with rosette rivets and that # matches the secondary label in glove box you are good

Bought a 67 Camaro in CA from out of state with current AZ registration but Bill of Sale from NV under a name not the same as registered owner. He died and son in law was selling the car. Like you I went to DMV...holly crap fest. The VIN guy there was cool and he authorized the VIN as he showed me the form and under rivets it has 2 boxes "rosette and Not"....if the not box is checked its then a trip to CHP so not sure WTF the DMV VIN guy sent you on the dance to CHP which is always a no win. My problem was actually then registering as the bill of sale had a different name than registered owner. I look at the lady and say I just need to get this settled as I had to "get my affairs in order" (cancer), which was true....she pulls her glasses down, leans towards me and says "get a blue pen and write...." "and go to another DMV". That worked. Point is sadly there are interpretive ways around this kind of BS. Sad CHP got involved with yours, that is always a no win unless maybe "you know a friend" who is one....

At this point just drive your .....69 with a *. I doubt any future owner who registers it wherever will have any issue with the 5th digit being an 8 if that is the VIN # shown on your now CA registration
72SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 11:14 AM   #38
landarts
landarts

I have done two trucks through the Vermont DMV. Had no issue at all. Once the registration and plate came in the mail I took them down to my local DMV and they registered the truck and issued a title.
68 Second Chance
Fix and Sale 72 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 K2500
The "Fixrupr" build thread

72 Cheyenne 1/2 ton " FIXRUPR " - daily driver
67 C20 all original paint
71 K20 Custom 4x4 (Idaho Edition)
72 K20 GMC Super Custom 4x4
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
69 K10 Custom package 4x4 (69 K10 from the field)
72 K10 Custom
71 K10 Custom
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
72 K20 Crew Cab Project
71 GMC Jimmy CST
72 Blazer
70 Blazer
landarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 05:40 PM   #39
chevy71super

I've registered trucks in California, Washington, Oregon and Montana. I have been lucky, California registrations presented no issues. They only looked at the VIN plate, the rep did not review the frame or glove box. In Washington I ran into a problem. One of the sequential numbers were off a digit. Probably from a prior title transfer typo. They left the original VIN plate on the truck and attached a WA VIN plate below it. The inspector acknowledged it was probably a typo, it didn't come up as stolen. A truck I registered in Oregon the young person doing the inspection was looking for a VIN plate under the windshield. . . I pointed him to the door jam. Didn't look at the glove box or frame. He would have not known the difference between a rosette rivet and an ordinary rivet. Easy registration. Montana doesn't personally inspect the vehicle which can be good or bad.
chevy71super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 02:08 AM   #40
jumpsoffrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy71super View Post
I've registered trucks in California, Washington, Oregon and Montana. I have been lucky, California registrations presented no issues. They only looked at the VIN plate, the rep did not review the frame or glove box. In Washington I ran into a problem. One of the sequential numbers were off a digit. Probably from a prior title transfer typo. They left the original VIN plate on the truck and attached a WA VIN plate below it. The inspector acknowledged it was probably a typo, it didn't come up as stolen. A truck I registered in Oregon the young person doing the inspection was looking for a VIN plate under the windshield. . . I pointed him to the door jam. Didn't look at the glove box or frame. He would have not known the difference between a rosette rivet and an ordinary rivet. Easy registration. Montana doesn't personally inspect the vehicle which can be good or bad.
I know this is a very sensitive topic 'round these parts--because people don't like phony stuff in circulation.

...but it makes me wonder how many techs, and at which DMV's would actually have the patience and knowledge to catch incorrect rivets.

I understand inspecting rivets is more of a hobbiest method of weeding through fakes, but I typically come across accounts similar to chevy71super: they didn't know, they didn't look, they didn't care, etc.
My point is CA reg isn't too strict from what I've experienced or heard from others.
jumpsoffrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 02:40 AM   #41
68bowtie

CA does not seem to care about the vin plate legitimacy in my experience as well. But they are very interested in scrutinizing all the smog aspects. Even pre smog vehicles need to have certain emissions stickers under the hood to pass the “vin check”.

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 01:53 PM   #42
Micmac

When I registered my trucks and 1947 Indian Chief in Maine, they handed me back my North Carolina titles with the explanation that they don't title vehicles that old , just register them.
1947 Indian Chief Roadmaster with Sidecar.
2012 Indian Chief Serial #002 of 110 built in '12
2016 Indian Chief Roadmaster
Micmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 03:58 PM   #43
jumpsoffrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68bowtie View Post
CA does not seem to care about the vin plate legitimacy in my experience as well. But they are very interested in scrutinizing all the smog aspects. Even pre smog vehicles need to have certain emissions stickers under the hood to pass the “vin check”.
You got that right, buddy. Smog ain't no joke.
Although I haven't experienced what you say about pre-smog vehicles stickers. I titled my '72 1-ton and they didn't inspect it whatsoever. The truck wasn't even present. But this might not be the proper context for this thread discussion.
Old 06-19-2023, 04:25 PM   #44
72SB

for CA, if you are AAA member, register the car there. WAY less scrutiny. They did the VIN check on my 72 as it was an out of state buy. You do need to get the truck "weight certified" if out of state regardless of using DMV or AAA.

I used a recycle place that had a certified scale, $35

and yes, CA requires all trucks to have commercial plates unless it has a camper shell on it.
Old 06-20-2023, 02:02 AM   #45
jumpsoffrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72SB View Post
and yes, CA requires all trucks to have commercial plates unless it has a camper shell on it.
72SB, have you ever heard of the "vintage vehicle" program for CA, where you can put vintage non-commercial plates on a truck, but it takes away the "commercial rating" of the vehicle--therefore you are not allowed to haul anything. I believe it's mostly for show trucks, museum show pieces, or parade vehicles.

...I want to say I read something like that in the last 10 years.
Old 06-20-2023, 10:11 AM   #46
72SB

It's called "Historical Vehicle" registration.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/handbo...icense-plates/

IMHO to restrictive and way more paperwork involved. Yeah "commercial" plates required on any pickup truck in CA cost a little more each year for registration tags but its not that much $ over a regular passenger car registration fee. Frankly there is not much difference between my 67 Camaro and 72 C10 registration fee.

I drive the C10 everywhere and also use it to haul stuff. Just use blankets and have tie downs to protect the paint.
Old 06-20-2023, 11:21 AM   #47
leftybass209

If I were you, I'd call it a victory and move on.

I did the same thing with a 71cab on a 69 frame, CHP Vin officer made the truck a 2015 (the year the paperwork was done)
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 12:11 PM   #48
Sheepdip

Quote:
If I were you, I'd call it a victory and move on.

I did the same thing with a 71cab on a 69 frame, CHP Vin officer made the truck a 2015 (the year the paperwork was done)
I would think that making it a 2015 would trigger a "Smog Required" every 2 years via the DMV renewal.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 12:44 PM   #49
vics stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967-C10 View Post
title it in Vermont, then transfer to your state title. Done.
That does not work either . Most states are title states. Vermont Title and Registration does not work. I individual will have to go thru the bonding and appraisal process.
Been there and done that.
Vic
vics stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 06:55 PM   #50
72c20customcamper

No vehicle registered in NY made before 1973 will have a tittle. We have transferable registrations. How would CA DMV treat that it’s the legal proof of ownership
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote