The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #76
RexDodge

Re: Windshield gasket blues: Precision supplies Steele and possibly Soff Seal

Just read through this thread. I keep reading about using "rope cord". I have done several and never broken one (knock on wood). I use para cord and lots of dish soap. The para cord is very very strong and as thin as a cheap shoe lace...works great! *Sorry if this was already posted...
RexDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:34 PM   #77
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precision Parts View Post
No Problem. Nice job on the truck... and the shop!

-d
I checked your installation link and nothing about our windshields. I found out my gasket is Precision and was installed by a pro (I am a project engineer for a large glass company). Here is a pic of your installed product....
At this time this is the only major flaw on my truck. BTW my trim is OEM, any thoughts on this before I have it redone AGAIN?
Attached Images

71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #78
JumboAMONGus

i got a window seal and had it professionally installed to and it leaks three times and still bunches up in corner its like they made the rubber to long ,my old one i took out was the same way leaks bad in the corner if anyone finds a better window seal let me know i dont mind paying more for a better fitting one
JumboAMONGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:06 PM   #79
Precision Parts
Tech Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.PASSMORE View Post
Mr Precision, Glad you could join us in this endeavor to find the best WS gasket for our 67-72 trucks. Most of us hobbiest/truck builders find the Precision gaskets to be superior than the competition (besides OE). Saying that we are still experiencing a lot of difficulty installing your WS gasket with deluxe trim. Over the years, I seen a few installed without much imperfection, but the majority of the time, the trim pops out or upper ends are crinkled at the inside top corners (main issue). Not much fun having water drip like crazy while driving thru a Florida thunder storm. Another, is water behind the gasket and rust forming after a period of time. Not sure how your company conducts research, but if you look on these boards, you will realize there is a problem with a lot of folks and shops having the same issue. In your companies technical opinion, could you explain what could cause these issues and suggest a solution.

Thank You
Hi David,

As you know many factors can come into play when an install doesn't fit right. Glass, Trim, Gasket & the install itself. It's important for people to note all these aspects to try to find the right solution.

My research & development guy's son has a '68 which they replaced the weatherstrip on about 6 weeks ago. I've asked them to redo it and video the process to see if this will help any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoKeene View Post
I checked your installation link and nothing about our windshields. I found out my gasket is Precision and was installed by a pro (I am a project engineer for a large glass company). Here is a pic of your installed product....
At this time this is the only major flaw on my truck. BTW my trim is OEM, any thoughts on this before I have it redone AGAIN?
When my R & D guy did this install he mentioned the importance of putting the top into the opening first then the bottom, then roping it in the same manner, the top, sides and lastly the bottom.

I will update this thread once we have the new install video produced.

Derek

Updates
Subscribe --->Installation Videos
Follow ------->Instagram
Like---------->Facebook
Precision Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:12 PM   #80
Lee H

Video would be great. I'll be doing this very soon. New precision gaskets, original trim, and after market glass. What rope do you guys use and where can I get it?
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:17 PM   #81
Precision Parts
Tech Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
Video would be great. I'll be doing this very soon. New precision gaskets, original trim, and after market glass. What rope do you guys use and where can I get it?
Posted via Mobile Device
This is a standard rope-in tool that's used in the auto glass field.
http://precisionrestorationparts.com...-1-4-cord.html

Updates
Follow ------->Instagram
Like---------->Facebook
Old 09-10-2012, 11:29 AM   #82
Precision Parts
Tech Help

We have now done the install for the windshield weatherstrip & chrome and have posted the video on our channel.

http://youtu.be/SOU_0HpS7To

If you have any questions about the install feel free to post them.

-d

Updates
Follow ------->Instagram
Like---------->Facebook
Old 09-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #83
shawno72
C/10 junkie

The video makes it look easy.

70 LWB C10 current driver/project
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=663051
68 SWB C10 Work in progress.....SOLD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559520
72 LWB C10 Sold
71 LWB C10 Sold
68 LWB C10 CST Sold

http://youtu.be/kbB0QrBIs9k

My mom always had the best advice. It was just a tad late. After a fall that involved blood, she'd say....."Careful!"
shawno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #84
LEX

Now that's service. Thanks for the video.
LEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #85
litew8

nice
Old 09-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #86
JumboAMONGus

mine was installed by professionals also and looks like renokeens , im went out and checked and they didnt have the second layer rubber over the pinchweld im using a butter knife and fixing it , , lol
JumboAMONGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #87
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Question: Was that OEM or reproduced trim used for the install?

Great help. Thank you for making the time to put that together!!

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:12 AM   #88
Precision Parts
Tech Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
Question: Was that OEM or reproduced trim used for the install?

Great help. Thank you for making the time to put that together!!
The trim was actually a repo by Precision, unfortunately it can no longer be produced (long story). We had a couple of sets still around so that's what we used.

We're fortunate to have Greg on our team who has 20 years experience in the auto glass field. This is his son's truck which is why we were able to get this done. Sadly, auto glass techs (the pros) doesn't guarantee a good install as some don't have the experience necessary with these older rope in type installs, so it's important to find one that comes recommended or that has a good reputation.

Derek

Updates
Follow ------->Instagram
Like---------->Facebook
Old 09-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #89
Lee H

I'd like to see a shorter version of this made into a sticky? Maybe the video and some tips. We should keep it short and simple.

Can anyone recommend a known experienced installer in the SoCal area, eastern LA or western San Berdo counties preferred? I've called around and can't find anyone that will say they have experience with these old dogs, just that they can do it.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:26 PM   #90
vectorit
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
Can anyone recommend a known experienced installer in the SoCal area, eastern LA or western San Berdo counties preferred? I've called around and can't find anyone that will say they have experience with these old dogs, just that they can do it.
I'd like to know as well...
My burb and PU both need windshield gasket work, and everyone around the SW Riverside county area that I have talked to refuse to touch the glass install on these trucks.

Very good instructional video BTW!
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #91
truckster

The 67-72 Chevy and GMC trucks were one of two windshields I always installed from the top first. (The other was the old Jeep Wagoneer) The tight upper corners make it very difficult to get even pull on the gasket if you start at the bottom.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:09 PM   #92
Precision Parts
Tech Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
The 67-72 Chevy and GMC trucks were one of two windshields I always installed from the top first. (The other was the old Jeep Wagoneer) The tight upper corners make it very difficult to get even pull on the gasket if you start at the bottom.
Totally agree and think this is a key part to getting everything to seat correctly.

-d

Updates
Follow ------->Instagram
Like---------->Facebook
Old 09-11-2012, 09:51 PM   #93
william-theglassman

at 16.13 after talking about the secondary lip ,the hook tool pulls the rubber next to the glass............do not do that at home .leave that trick to the pros. great job n video
william-theglassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:15 PM   #94
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I'm having a different kind of problem. Last year I had a new windshield installed by safelite, with the trim. The installer was experienced and got it in without too much problem, but it was as if the windshield was a bit too narrow. The fit top and bottom seemed good, but it was loose on the sides. The gasket will slide side to side on both sides. He said it might seat in after a while, but they would cover it if it didn't. One other problem was the glass had ripples in it and seemed to be rounded from top to bottom more than the OEM glass, which was pretty flat. Safelite branded glass.

I gave it a year of driving off and on, but it never tightened up and it leaked, so I called them back. He came with another safelite windshield, but figured it would be a waste of time, so they ordered another brand for it and came back a few days later. The glass was smoother, but fit almost the same as the other one. Maybe just a bit tighter, but I can still slip my fingers under the gasket by the windshield frame post. The gasket does not bunch in the corners, it seems to fit the glass well. It just won't fit tight to the side frame posts.

Are the installers doing something wrong? Is the glass not wide enough or have enough curve back into the frame? I just don't understand. They tried 2 different gaskets, same results.

I didn't do any massaging of the windshield area in my body work. Didn't even replace rockers. I took the old glass out myself and it was a nice tight seal all around. What could be the cause of this?
hgs_notes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:52 AM   #95
william-theglassman

ask for pilkington brand .
william-theglassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #96
D.PASSMORE
One of the First

Idea: why don't we put a post or thread together that shows sucessful/unsecessful installs, i.e. type of gasket, trim and glass manufacture. Brief description on install: technique - top/bottom first, type of rope/cord. hook tools, sealent... Maybe we can nail down the exact ingredents to make the install work to perfection. I know mine still leaks and the percision gasket has defects. Pictures to come.

'71 SWB K/10 CUSTOM DELUXE (Chili)
'72 BLAZER K/5 Muscle Truck (Mule)
'72 LWB K/20 CHEYENNE (Blackie)
D.PASSMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #97
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Update on mine today......after 3-1/2 hours the installer is taking the glass, vinyl and trim back to their shop to WATCH THE VIDEO and see what they can learn I bet I'm going to have to do it myself to get it right. Stay tuned.
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #98
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.PASSMORE View Post
Idea: why don't we put a post or thread together that shows sucessful/unsecessful installs, i.e. type of gasket, trim and glass manufacture. Brief description on install: technique - top/bottom first, type of rope/cord. hook tools, sealent... Maybe we can nail down the exact ingredents to make the install work to perfection. I know mine still leaks and the percision gasket has defects. Pictures to come.
Windshield (FY) + Precision gasket (71-72 w trim) + OEM 71-72 trim + top first w rope no sealant = success (<1 hr install: EASY)

* same arrangement save for repro trim (both 71-72 AND <70 with correct matching Precision gaskets) did NOT work despite four attempts by three different installers - the trim would not conform to the gasket - beware repro trim

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #99
67cheby
67cheby

Thanks for your help ! Just ordered mine now ! Great customer service !
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:33 PM   #100
Precision Parts
Tech Help

Just one last thing that wasn't addressed in the video is bedding compound. We did not use any and have done a water test with no leakage to the weatherstrip. However it can't hurt to add a little to give more confidence for a water tight seal.

Derek

Updates
Follow ------->Instagram
Like---------->Facebook