The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2020, 10:53 PM   #1
Keith6987

Front disc brake problem

I have a 72 Blazer front Dana 44. I can’t mount the calipers because the pads seem too thick. I bought rebuilt calipers that look just like the old ones. The piston is retracted as far as possible. Rotors have no wear that I can see.

Are there different widths of calipers or rotors that I may have mixed up? The pads are the same thickness as the old ones ,but are at least 3/32” too thick per pad. I didn’t take it apart, so I don’t know if it ever fit.
Keith6987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:20 PM   #2
truckster

Re: Front disc brake problem

I just replaced my calipers with rebuilt from O'Reilly. My rotors are roughly 1.30" thick and the space from the inner surface of the caliper to the face of the piston is roughly 2.45". I have new pads on them and the piston sticks out of the caliper housing about 1/8" with everything assembled.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:45 PM   #3
Keith6987

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
I just replaced my calipers with rebuilt from O'Reilly. My rotors are roughly 1.30" thick and the space from the inner surface of the caliper to the face of the piston is roughly 2.45". I have new pads on them and the piston sticks out of the caliper housing about 1/8" with everything assembled.
Thanks for the quick info. 👍🏼 My rotors are 1.290 I also have O’Reilly reman Delco calipers , but they are only 2.250 from piston to inner surface. I looked them over before I turned in the cores, but I didn’t measure the inside. So I guess they made different widths ? Thanks again for the measurements.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:03 AM   #4
truckster

I don't know if there were different ones. I know it's shocking, but I have had O'Reilly's give me the wrong parts in the past...

I'll pull one of them apart tomorrow and get exact measurements if you want them.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:17 AM   #5
Keith6987

Quote:
I don't know if there were different ones. I know it's shocking, but I have had O'Reilly's give me the wrong parts in the past...

I'll pull one of them apart tomorrow and get exact measurements if you want them.
That .200 difference between mine and yours would be enough to get the pads in. I don’t want you to take yours apart. You have done me a huge favor in getting the measurements. Now I just have to try and convince O’Reilly that these are not the right calipers.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:38 AM   #6
truckster

OK, but let me know. The wheels aren't on it yet and I would just need to pull one bolt to get more precise measurements.

Edit: I took one apart this morning because I wanted to be sure I didn't give you bad info. With the piston depressed, the inside measurement of the caliper is 2.50. The rotor measures 1.30 and the pads (new pads) measure 0.675, including the backing plate. I looked for my receipt but I couldn't find it.

Last edited by truckster; 09-25-2020 at 08:04 AM.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:25 PM   #7
Keith6987

Quote:
OK, but let me know. The wheels aren't on it yet and I would just need to pull one bolt to get more precise measurements.

Edit: I took one apart this morning because I wanted to be sure I didn't give you bad info. With the piston depressed, the inside measurement of the caliper is 2.50. The rotor measures 1.30 and the pads (new pads) measure 0.675, including the backing plate. I looked for my receipt but I couldn't find it.
Thanks for the info 👍🏼 So my rotors and pads are the same as yours, but my calipers are .250 narrower. I wish I knew if there was a separate part number for the wider calipers. I have a feeling the guy behind the desk won’t know.😀
Old 09-25-2020, 03:06 PM   #8
Keith6987

Another update...so I have been working with the passenger side caliper. I get the driver side out and it measures 2.5” like yours and fits just fine ...they look the same both are Delco calipers. So I guess I’ll have to go to the store and measure a few. Thanks for your help Truckster 👍🏼
Old 09-25-2020, 03:13 PM   #9
truckster

You're very welcome. Sometimes the rebuilders put the wrong part in a box.