The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-13-2014, 05:48 PM   #1
f.monroe

can't program '06 model

Anyone ever had one that won't allow a programmer to reflash the ecu? We have a 2006 Z71 with the L33 and it won't accept a programmer at all. My son took it to the dealer and they couldn't reflash the ecu. We want to change gears but can't until the programmer can be used. Any ideas other than the $775 ecu they said it needs. It runs fine. Just can't do anything with it. The vin number showed up on a superchips programmer but it will not communicate when you try to program.
Frank
Old 10-14-2014, 08:06 PM   #2
clinebarger

Re: can't program '06 model

The PCM could be Locked from a previous Tuner (Person, Not hand held) Using EFI Live or HP-Tuners, Unless you know who did it, The PCM is useless.

A Unlocked used PCM with the same Service Number can be re-flashed with your VIN at the dealer. You would have to swap the PCM's in the parking lot, Then push the truck into the service bay.

There are also mobile outfits that Flash Modules on site, They don't always keep their software updated though. And they Charge more than a Dealer.

Used PCM's are cheap $75 to $120.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:28 AM   #3
f.monroe

The service number is printed on the unit somewhere? Thanks for the response. I will have to look into getting another PCM . I still have the persons contact info that I bought the truck from so I will text him and ask. I was under the impression it was still stock.
Thanks,
Frank
Old 10-18-2014, 07:17 PM   #4
clinebarger

The Service Number can be found on the PCM.

A Dealer Tech should know how to cross reference the CVN's (Calibration Verification Numbers) in the PCM against the CVN's they have on file. If one or more CVN's don't match......It has or had a Aftermarket Calibration/Tune installed.

When I worked at a Chevy Dealer I ran across this all the time with either Locked PCM's or a Customer demanding warranty because they broke their Transmission.

"Tuners" Lock PCM's because they believe their tuning is their "Intellectual Property".
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:36 PM   #5
f.monroe

I spoke to the previous owner and he said he ran a diablo sport on it. Said he removed it and ran the tuner on another vehicle afterwards. The weird thing is that a super chips shows the correct vin number and seems to start the tune process which would seem to show communication. It also pulled dtc's . It fails when it says downloading tune or something. I will try to find another PCM and give it another try.
Frank