The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Vendor Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2011, 09:20 PM   #1
GeorgeLeonard

Unhappy Classic Performance Parts

I just ordered some parts online from CPP and received my acknowledgement email from them. This text was included:

"For your protection, we have charged $1 upon placing this order to ensure that the billing address listed above matches the billing address for the credit card provided. No match entries may further delay processing of your orders."

I realize its only a buck, but its the principle that bothers me. They charge you an extra dollar and then tell you that if the two addresses dont match, your order will be delayed anyway. Am I missing something here?
GeorgeLeonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:58 PM   #2
jocko

Re: Classic Performance Parts

george, i'm not certain about this - but I've noticed that some gas stations do the same thing - it might be worth calling them about it - but I THINK it is just a place holder until your card clears or something like that - a "test" run if you will - and then when the transaction is completed, your $1 is either refunded or the total price you were supposed to pay is decreased by $1. Again. not CERTAIN about this, but I had a similar reaction to the $1 charge - and it turned out that it all came out in the wash in my case, I did not end up paying $1 more than I expected to pay in the first place. Still - probably worth an email or phone call to them to confirm. if they DO charge you a $1 fee in addition to what you thought you were supposed to pay, then that is wrong.

You're right it's just $1 - BUT, if they are doing that to everyone, it's just not right. But I'd give them a chance to explain it first - then let is all know what happens.

Last edited by jocko; 03-12-2011 at 09:59 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:09 AM   #3
rbar

Tha reminded me of Dennis Dillon in Boise, Idaho. Buy a truck and get "guaranteed $10 oil changes for life." Six months later it was $11, six more months it was $12. Costs of disposal is apparently the way to increase it. I agree though, there's a chance it's a trial transaction that will be changed to the amount when they ship. I have had alot of troubles with CPP, but they have never charged me until they shipped. Perhaps it's their way to make sure you don't screw them by not having the money when they are ready to mess your order up and make you wait forever. Love their products, hate their service.
2009 Pontiac G8 GXP 415hp/415tq 6speed
rbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:40 AM   #4
k1rodeoboater

I agree on the hate their service....I ordered some parts almost 3 weeks ago now and still have nothing....they "may" show up next week

Im gonna start looking for other options locally soon
Posted via Mobile Device

no garage, no shop, limited storage space and tools....no problem.
k1rodeoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:05 AM   #5
tapeworm
fan of "Butters" Stotch

When the credit card laws went into effect to protect the consumer, the credit card companies tightened rules on the businesses.

I am in the parts business as well (sorry, no old chev truck parts ) and do quite a bit of mail order. If the billing address and zip do not match the numbers you enter, we get charged a $1, plain & simple

The machine won't recognize international address, so I'm guessing we are getting $1 for ea one of those as well.

Last edited by tapeworm; 03-13-2011 at 10:06 AM.
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:35 AM   #6
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

This for the protection of the consumer, plain and simple.

if someone steals your card or card number and gives a false billing address, the transaction doent go through, protecting you.

as said b4 gas stations used to automatically do a pre-hold of 50.00 to ensure you had that much in your account, then the transaction would go though for say $45., so you have $95.00 on a hold until the CC company/clearance house completes the transaction with your bank, used to be up to 5 days, it is usually less than 24hrs now.

BTW, this isnt CPP's choice at all, this is a practice of their CC clearing house or bank.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:14 AM   #7
scotts62
One day...

My wife got her purse stolen and they went straight to the gas station and filled up 3 cars/trucks at about $65 each in the matter of a few minutes and with Visa's being $75 now the limit didnt help me much in that case

93 crew cab build
Project 62
scotts62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:58 PM   #8
tapeworm
fan of "Butters" Stotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde65 View Post
This for the protection of the consumer, plain and simple.

if someone steals your card or card number and gives a false billing address, the transaction doent go through, protecting you.
Unfortunately this is not the case. If I run a card, and enter the wrong billing info, it usually almost always go through, but we get charged the $1

At least many cards (especially debt/bank cards) have daily limits and/or will not allow a large out of state charge. If I run a large purchase (such as a engine or blower) many, if not most times it will not go through without the customer calling the bank first.

Last edited by tapeworm; 03-14-2011 at 03:41 AM.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:29 PM   #9
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLeonard View Post
I just ordered some parts online from CPP and received my acknowledgement email from them. This text was included:

"For your protection, we have charged $1 upon placing this order to ensure that the billing address listed above matches the billing address for the credit card provided. No match entries may further delay processing of your orders."

I realize its only a buck, but its the principle that bothers me. They charge you an extra dollar and then tell you that if the two addresses dont match, your order will be delayed anyway. Am I missing something here?
Have you contacted Jeff or anyone at CPP to discuss this?
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:49 AM   #10
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Tapeworm,

You are correct, debit cards have daily limits, if the holder knows he/she is going to make a big purchase, they can call their bank and ask for a temporary increase to just above what they are fixing to purchase.

"Unfortunately this is not the case. If I run a card, and enter the wrong billing info, it usually almost always go through, but we get charged the $1"

Then there is something wrong with the system, this is why that is there, to attempt to protect the consumer. worthless if it doesnt work.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:33 AM   #11
CPPJEFF
Account Suspended

On a first time customer they bill the card $1 to verify that the billing address is the same as the shipping address to protect the customer. We do not bill the card any other funds until the order ships. Thanks and sorry for the confusion. You are not billed an additional dollar this is subtracted from the order total.

Last edited by CPPJEFF; 03-14-2011 at 11:34 AM.
CPPJEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:14 AM   #12
tapeworm
fan of "Butters" Stotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde65 View Post
Tapeworm,

"Unfortunately this is not the case. If I run a card, and enter the wrong billing info, it usually almost always go through, but we get charged the $1"

Then there is something wrong with the system, this is why that is there, to attempt to protect the consumer. worthless if it doesnt work.

I totally agree, but this is the way our machines have always worked at our place. The company who supports the machines says the same thing. I know of other businesses where this is the case as well.
If it helps, I know only of a couple instances in the last few years where we have been charged back due to fraud.

Last edited by tapeworm; 03-15-2011 at 01:15 AM.