The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2018, 09:16 AM   #1
90OBS

Fuel Injection Kits

Hey, Just wanted to get some feedback on any of the fuel injection kits (IE Holley Sniper,Fitech,MSD Atomic Etc). Who has them , all the goods and bads.

Looking to do an LS swap in my 90 C1500 or fuel injection kit.

Thanks
90OBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:21 AM   #2
mrtoni

Re: Fuel Injection Kits

I’m interested too. Also, can you set these up on a new long block or do you need to have a carbed engine that is running already?
mrtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:35 AM   #3
mikebte

Its good to see someone looking into other options besides LS swap. You can get a lot of power out of the old engine just adding fuel injection system. IMHO Multi-port injection is the way to go for maximum power and efficiency. FI Tech kits are great kits, I know lots of people that have great results and have considered them myself. They are a throttle body set up and are going to be easier on your pocket book, the multi-port is going to cost more and be a little bit more and require and intake install.

What is your goal on the injection swap? One of the other users just purchased a Edelbrock multi-port injection kit if you want to read on the outcome.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=772697
Attached Images

mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:53 AM   #4
90OBS

I currently have a 305 in my truck.I am looking to get more power along with reliability. I am looking at a 350 and installing some sort of injection system. I really don't want to play with a carb and getting it tuned. I have also thought about an 5.3LS swap. But not totally sure about the whole process of doing this.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:17 PM   #5
mikebte

Being a 90 I would think TBI would have come factory installed. Some people like TBI others choose not to.
350 is a good place to start, best to do away with the 305. 305 is not bad, but it is limited in power VS anything else.
If your strictly looking for the convenience of fuel injection, I would go with the FI tech. Pretty strait forward.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:08 AM   #6
90OBS

Yes, it does have the factory TBI . I’ve never had a problem with TBI,always been very reliable.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:48 AM   #7
jhrusk

I would recommend against the fitech. I used it with there fuel system and it did fine for 1500 miles. Started having issues with pump then later the RBI unit itself quit. If you have trouble the customer service side will be painful. I switched to the sniper and so far it has worked fine. Look in my thread for the install on truck. This is the short version. Google fitech reviews or problems and u will see a lot of issues. Holley has the tech support to support there products. Fitech not.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:35 AM   #8
mikebte

You may consider http://tbichips.com/

They have some good basic mods good to 400 HP. Anything past that or if you want to run a big cam you would want an aftermarket set up.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:18 PM   #9
Stormin08

So, literally about 3 months ago i was in your shoes.

i knew i could do a SBC far cheaper than a full swap, mainly because i had all the bolt on goodies from the SBC already.

i went with a blueprint 350, 375 hp/400 trq advertised. the dyno sheet showed 399.7/410...i had planned on doing an injection swap simply as i didnt realize such support for the factory tbi.

fast forward to today, i have the 350 in, trans bolted up, all stainless exhaust, new msd street fire hei, and the easy street fitech 600 hp.

it currently has power to crank, supplies fuel and i need to verify timing and give it a start up.

i did research the fitech, but only after i had purchased it...of course all reviews are negative (always are)...but most i saw either didnt set it up properly, or were complaining of something their unit doesnt do...when i first looked, they had a 400 and an 800 up. when i bought it, they offered a 600 with the screen. so i currently have the 600 hp unit ready to roll.

here is another pic prior to install. and my main purpose was to eliminate all the factory crap wiring, and clean up under the hood.

keep an eye on my build thread, PROJECT WIDE BODY...updates will be coming this weekend.
Attached Images

Last edited by Stormin08; 10-11-2018 at 05:06 AM.
Stormin08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:45 AM   #10
90OBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin08 View Post
So, literally about 3 months ago i was in your shoes.

i knew i could do a SBC far cheaper than a full swap, mainly because i had all the bolt on goodies from the SBC already.

i went with a blueprint 350, 375 hp/400 trq advertised. the dyno sheet showed 399.7/410...i had planned on doing an injection swap simply as i didnt realize such support for the factory tbi.

fast forward to today, i have the 350 in, trans bolted up, all stainless exhaust, new msd street fire hei, and the easy street fitech 600 hp.

it currently has power to crank, supplies fuel and i need to verify timing and give it a start up.

i did research the fitech, but only after i had purchased it...of course all reviews are negative (always are)...but most i saw either didnt set it up properly, or were complaining of something their unit doesnt do...when i first looked, they had a 400 and an 800 up. when i bought it, they offered a 600 with the screen. so i currently have the 600 hp unit ready to roll.

here is another pic prior to install. and my main purpose was to eliminate all the factory crap wiring, and clean up under the hood.

keep an eye on my build thread, PROJECT WIDE BODY...updates will be coming this weekend.
Looks Awesome! I will keep an eye on your build thread.. Very interested on how the Fitech works out . Thanks for the information.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:46 PM   #11
Stormin08

so just to provide some insight...if using a fitech unit...search their forums to see others postings...lots of valuable info.

in my case, the unit i purchased (very early release easy street 600), wasnt so self learning as stated. i had to make serious adjustments to get it to RUN...it would crank and start, then die... it wasnt commanding fuel injection events.

i did get it to run lone enough to get the motor warm, but i have reverted to finishing the wiring install, rather than having it all temporary. it was slightly frustrating, but not unexpected.

not sure what fitech or others consider self learning, but everything i have seen or been told, was hook it up, set CU in, and fire....NOT THE CASE HERE>
Stormin08 is offline   Reply With Quote