The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-03-2016, 03:56 PM   #1
bearmtnmartin

Looking at mid 1970's blazers and I have a question

Way back in time I had a 1972 Blazer and I loved that truck. I want to buy another older Blazer for a daily driver but I remember a few of the irritations with the old one. It was a rattletrap and it was always damp inside.(I live in Southern BC so think Seattle weather only more rain). The defrost was kind of crap and I had constant wind noise through the frameless doors. I remember it being pretty decent on longer trips though and I guess it must have been fairly comfortable. (going back 25 years in my memory so maybe I just put up with more.)

So I thought I would move up a few years and get a squarebody with the half roof, and I'm looking for driving impressions from owners. I would appreciate feedback on how these trucks are to live with every day in terms of ride quality, road noise, defrost performance, etc. Most of my driving would be highway at 70 mph, with very little off road. I'm considering a diesel or a propane conversion for reasons of economy. Whatever I buy will be in as near to new condition as possible. I would buy as close to stock as possible, and I really want the mid 70's look with stock grill, round headlights and ralley wheels.

Thanks for the help.
bearmtnmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:14 PM   #2
Electricduane

Re: Looking at mid 1970's blazers and I have a question

If you want best ride/comfort, might as well try to find as late model as possible. 1991 was the last year.
Electricduane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 06:08 PM   #3
SilverMiner

bearmtnmartin -

I'm with you about preferring the look of the mid to late 70's "round-eye" blazers. I've owned and driven big miles on many of them (all used starting in the early 80's), and I'd agree that the they were and are an improvement over the 69-72's.

From a pure comfort standpoint I'd suggest starting your search for a 78 or 79. You mentioned you wanted something as close to stock as possible, and those two years were the biggest production years of that era which would increase the odds of finding one unmolested and still in good shape. Another bonus is that starting in 78 the floor pan behind the front seats stays level to give more footroom in the rear, and also starting in 78 the rear seat would "fold and tumble" to increase the storage area. Very high likelihood of full carpet as well which helps minimize noise level.

They will run down the highway just fine at 70mph considering they have the aerodynamic properties of a brick. Good tires, balanced drivelines and fresh steering components are all necessary of course. The wing windows were famous for being a source of noise even when new, but maybe I've been lucky because I've had no major complaints.

Nothing wrong with a 76 or 77 - I'd take a clean original 76-77 over a rough 78-79 without hesitation.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:44 AM   #4
bearmtnmartin

Thanks for the input. I dont expect to see the same level of luxury as my Dodge Laramie, but I dont want to get beat to death either.
bearmtnmartin is offline   Reply With Quote