The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-25-2020, 11:31 PM   #1
72k20Farmtruck

Steering Column Slop

Hi all, I have a 1982 K20 pickup with tilt steering column. I have tightened the 4 torx bolts for the tilt because they came loose awhile back. Now I have slop in the steering wheel while driving down the road, about 3 degrees of slop side to side. I’ve changed all steering components out, new stabilizer, Red Head steering box, etc. turns out the issue is in the column itself, i can rotate the wheel slop to slop and the intermediate shaft does not move. I bought a new plastic swivel ball for the upper part of the column thinking that was it but it in fact was not, I just tore it down to that point and the slop is after it. Help
72k20Farmtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:09 AM   #2
72k20Farmtruck

Re: Steering Column Slop

https://youtu.be/RD5EtjQIgw8

Here’s a youtube video I made for you column experts out there to help understand what’s going on.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:56 PM   #3
Axle

Theres that much play with everything bolted together? (with the upper disconnected theres going to be slop overall until you put everything back together.
Wedge your camera under the hood and record the base of the steering column and upper joint of the intermediate shaft and see whats happening there.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 12:55 AM   #4
72k20Farmtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle View Post
Theres that much play with everything bolted together? (with the upper disconnected theres going to be slop overall until you put everything back together.
Wedge your camera under the hood and record the base of the steering column and upper joint of the intermediate shaft and see whats happening there.
I will have to get the video tomorrow, but with the column fully reassembled and tilted up 100%, I have the least slop. Without the video however, in that range of slop there is no movement in the intermediate shaft. What could possibly be loose in between? Thanks.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:24 PM   #5
kglowacky

I am having the same problem. all new suspension parts rebuilt gear box and way to much slop going down the road. Front end alignment done today. all perfect with in specs. looks like the slop is in the rebuilt gear box . There is a nut on the top of the box that I think is a adjustment screw. has anyone ever tried to tighten the bolt/nut up?
kglowacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:58 PM   #6
Axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72k20Farmtruck View Post
I will have to get the video tomorrow, but with the column fully reassembled and tilted up 100%, I have the least slop. Without the video however, in that range of slop there is no movement in the intermediate shaft. What could possibly be loose in between? Thanks.
I'm curious about the end of the steering column and if there is rotation there or not. May have a worn collapsable sleeve in the column thats gotten hogged out, seeing if the end of the column rocks with the steering wheel rocking. What you can do, start up the truck, and underhood, grab the intermediate steering shaft and twist it back and forth looking for slop in all the joints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglowacky View Post
I am having the same problem. all new suspension parts rebuilt gear box and way to much slop going down the road. Front end alignment done today. all perfect with in specs. looks like the slop is in the rebuilt gear box . There is a nut on the top of the box that I think is a adjustment screw. has anyone ever tried to tighten the bolt/nut up?
If you do play with it, jack it up to take the weight off the front tires and slowly turn the wheel lock to lock and make sure the box does not start to bind up. Straight ahead is always sloppier than the ends of the turn. If it binds, you got to back off the adjustment.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 09:20 PM   #7
v30crewcab

lower column bearing bad?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=522535
v30crewcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 11:44 PM   #8
Irish1941

Quote:
Originally Posted by v30crewcab View Post
lower column bearing bad?
Wait a second...you guys are jumping from upper column to bottom column.
Actually OPs problem should be upper bearing with that slop. Three bearings in the column. Lower one under the hood and next two are above the tilt joint, in the gear sector cup.
With all other steering components in place, the pressure is on the upper most bearing. The preload cup needs to be in there as do all the ball bearings. It puts upward pressure on the steering shaft, "locking" it place on the bearings if that makes sense.

Here is a great walk thru how it goes together. Its a Fiero column but its pretty much all the same this side of the firewall. Easier than typing out what to do...
Built maybe 40 of these columns over the yrs (3 in last 2 weeks) and this is the best guide. You don't have to pull column either. Rebuild it in place. Makes setting pre load on bearings easier than bench build. Patients is key as are correct tools.
The turn signal slide and steering lock spring will make you cuss like a cowboy!

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...ck_Rebuild.pdf

Sloppy gear box is something completely different than OPs problem.
Do not mess with top screw until you know what you are doing. Its setting lash on worm gear, not going to fix loose, worn steering box.

There is rebuilt then there is REBUILT.
Cardone anything and you're rolling the dice..last one I got from them was covered in painted over grease and full of dirty fluid and metal.
Redhead steering box in WA is only way to go.
If on a budget, BBB Industries box will do well too.
Irish1941 is offline   Reply With Quote