The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2018, 11:00 PM   #1
wpavlis

Saginaw 3 speed speedometer gear removal

So I need some help and I am sure the gurus on here will have an answer. I have a 3 speed saginaw transmission in my 68 c10. This was my grandfathers truck, and then my uncles. To the best of my knowledge it has never been rebuilt. I pulled it to rebuild the motor and decided to take it apart and replace the bearings. I have never worked on a transmission before but it didn't look overly difficult. I was following the directions in the factory overhaul manual and everything was going fine. Messy, but fine. I got it this far:

Name:  P1010837.jpg
Views: 1918
Size:  37.1 KB

Now I need to remove the rear bearing to replace it. According to the manual there is supposed to be a clip that holds the speedometer drive gear on the shaft. This needs to be replaced in order to slide the bearing off. Only problem is, there is no clip that I can see. The gear appears to be made of metal. I found a video and some pictures online (this site included) that show this gear to be plastic and held in place by a clip. How do I get this thing off? Or back on for that matter? I am assuming it is press fit. Below is a picture of the gear. Thanks,

Name:  speedometer.jpg
Views: 1431
Size:  43.4 KB
wpavlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:01 AM   #2
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

Re: Saginaw 3 speed speedometer gear removal

These type of metal speedo gears are pressed on and pressed off... using a press.
You maybe able to get it off using a punch but most likely you may damage the gear...
YoungPup1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:07 AM   #3
wpavlis

Thanks. That was my guess. I will get the rest of it apart and take it to a transmission shop to have it pressed off. Might as well have them press off the bearing as well. Thanks!
Old 03-26-2018, 06:23 PM   #4
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpavlis View Post
Thanks. That was my guess. I will get the rest of it apart and take it to a transmission shop to have it pressed off. Might as well have them press off the bearing as well. Thanks!
As far as the rear bearing, I believe all you have to do is remove the snap ring and the bearing should come off.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:10 PM   #5
wpavlis

Yes, but the bearing doesn't fit over the speedometer gear.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:17 AM   #6
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

Quote:
Yes, but the bearing doesn't fit over the speedometer gear.
I thought I already addressed you have to press the speedo gear off....once you press the speedo gear off, than you remove the snap ring with a set of snap ring pliers, remove rear bearing which does not need to be "pressed" off or back on....

"the inside diameter of the bearing is smaller than the outside of the steel speedo gear...."

Since you have it a part, replace the synro rings/springs/detents....check all gears where the synro hub slides onto the gear and make sure they are not worn out.....
Old 03-27-2018, 10:53 AM   #7
wpavlis

Sorry, I read your response wrong. I understand. Actually Have it in my car trunk now. Going to take it to a place near my work at lunch to get it pressed off. I will then take it home and replace the brass syncros, keys, springs etc. Then of course have the bearing and gear pressed back on later this week. I am also having them press in a new bushing and seal in the tail shaft.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:07 AM   #8
Richard2112

Looks like you're doing fine with the trans rebuild. Sometimes you can rent a deep reach 3-jaw puller and get them off (the speedo gear) and then use an angle grinder to cut the bearing. If you were to cut the bearing off just cut the outer cage, score the inner race, then knock it off with a cold chisel.

Seems like you're ahead of the game by getting it pressed off. Are you planning to replace that gear with plastic?
Richard2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:49 AM   #9
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard2112 View Post
Looks like you're doing fine with the trans rebuild. Sometimes you can rent a deep reach 3-jaw puller and get them off (the speedo gear) and then use an angle grinder to cut the bearing. If you were to cut the bearing off just cut the outer cage, score the inner race, then knock it off with a cold chisel.

Seems like you're ahead of the game by getting it pressed off. Are you planning to replace that gear with plastic?
Why would he replace the steel gear with a plastic one ? There is no provisioning on the shaft to hold the metal clip that holds the plastic gear on the shaft. That’s why the steel gear is a press fit
As far as cutting the bearing not sure why anyone would cut the bearing off when he is going to press off the speedo gear ? If the bearing is hard to slide off the shaft than he would press the bearing off just like the speedo gear. 😀
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by YoungPup1977; 03-27-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:01 PM   #10
shoveldug

I just rebuilt mine......take a brass hammer or a chunk of brass and tap it off and back on. Dint forget which way it goes. Use a little heat if you have to..
shoveldug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 12:02 PM   #11
Richard2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungPup1977 View Post
Why would he replace the steel gear with a plastic one ? There is no provisioning on the shaft to hold the metal clip that holds the plastic gear on the shaft. That’s why the steel gear is a press fit
As far as cutting the bearing not sure why anyone would cut the bearing off when he is going to press off the speedo gear ? If the bearing is hard to slide off the shaft than he would press the bearing off just like the speedo gear. 😀
Posted via Mobile Device
It's just an alternative method of getting them off. There may be more than one person reading this thread who might like options. Why not cut the bearing, I'm pretty sure it isn't going to be reused. And I do not know if the plastic speedo gear he mentioned is an option to replace the steel, that's why I asked. Seems like most speedo gears are plastic these days.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:14 PM   #12
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

Quote:
It's just an alternative method of getting them off. There may be more than one person reading this thread who might like options. Why not cut the bearing, I'm pretty sure it isn't going to be reused. And I do not know if the plastic speedo gear he mentioned is an option to replace the steel, that's why I asked. Seems like most speedo gears are plastic these days.
I keep forgetting I do this for a living and have the proper tools to do the job easier. Sorry. My bad.
Same mindset can be used to remove the steel speedo gear than wonder how to make the plastic gear stay on the output shaft.

If you take a metal gear off without damaging it, why would you not put it back on.....Hmmmm....can be done...with the proper tools....cutting bearings is not common practice here in my world...most speedo's of today actually are not gear driven....
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by YoungPup1977; 04-02-2018 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:22 PM   #13
Richard2112

Quote:
I keep forgetting I do this for a living and have the proper tools to do the job easier. Sorry. My bad.
Same mindset can be used to remove the steel speedo gear than wonder how to make the plastic gear stay on the output shaft.
Posted via Mobile Device
You're right. Since you do this for a living, no one else could possibly offer an alternative suggestion. But while I have your expert attention I have a question you might be able to answer. How can I attach a mechanical speedometer drive to a Chevy NV4500 (93, 2wd) trans?
Old 03-27-2018, 12:55 PM   #14
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

Quote:
You're right. Since you do this for a living, no one else could possibly offer an alternative suggestion. But while I have your expert attention I have a question you might be able to answer. How can I attach a mechanical speedometer drive to a Chevy NV4500 (93, 2wd) trans?
I didnt say anything about you offering alternative suggestions, I just indicated I use a much easier way about doing it.....but again this is my opinion....use a chisel and knock off the speedo gear...it can be done...I am only supplying how I do it..
Maybe you need to buy the dodge version of the new venture 4500
As far as your question, start a new thread instead of high jacking this one...THANKS !!!!

Last edited by YoungPup1977; 03-27-2018 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:56 PM   #15
Richard2112

Quote:
I didnt say anything about you offering alternative suggestions, I just indicated I use a much easier way about doing it.....but again this is my opinion....use a chisel and knock off the speedo gear...it can be done...I am only supplying how I do it..
Maybe you need to buy the dodge version of the new venture 4500
As far as your question, start a new thread instead of high jacking this one...THANKS !!!!
Hmmmm...guess it can't be done then....but maybe a resourceful engineer could do it...Nahhh. Apologies for hijacking the thread. Don't apologize for defending my capabilities though.
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2018, 06:23 PM   #16
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

??? all the guy wants to know is how to remove the metal speedo gear...LOL!!!!

Last edited by YoungPup1977; 03-31-2018 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:33 PM   #17
Richard2112

Quote:
I know lots of resourceful engineers, I have a EE from NC State....do you need one ?
Nope. Got my own...and some experience to go along with it.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:49 PM   #18
wpavlis

So I found a shop that was willing to press it off for me. Gave them the bearing and new snap rings as well so they could press it back together. They wouldn't let me pay them for the work. I tried, but they refused. I know where I am taking my more modern car if it ever has transmission issues that's for sure.

Next up painting the case and then reassembly.
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2018, 09:45 AM   #19
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

Glad it worked out for you. Using the correct process saves time, is safer and you didn’t damage other parts of the transmission.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-13-2018, 10:13 AM   #20
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
So I found a shop that was willing to press it off for me. Gave them the bearing and new snap rings as well so they could press it back together. They wouldn't let me pay them for the work. I tried, but they refused. I know where I am taking my more modern car if it ever has transmission issues that's for sure.

Next up painting the case and then reassembly.
A lot of these shops forget that goodwill brings them ten times more business than one "gouging." Good idea keeping them in mind for the next job.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 12:28 AM   #21
wpavlis

Just wanted to update everyone who answered with some help. I finally got the whole transmission back together. The hardest part of the job was what I asked about above, but that is really just because I don't own a press. Thanks to everyone that helped out.
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2018, 09:31 AM   #22
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Great job.. Looks good. I've only worked on one and it was many years ago. It had a bad synchronizing asm. These transmissions if not drag raced, will last for a very long time.

Keeps us posted on how it works after installation.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote