The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2015, 09:47 PM   #1
qksilver

fuel system questions 82 3/4 diesel to bb carb/tbi

got another truck............works for me, kind of, too tired to strip another vehicle. I need a 3/4 truck to replace my 398,000 mile 99 burb with original motor/trans and rear. It stil looks good but is worn out but not smoking or slipping or wining.

Got this 82 3/4 6.2 truck today decent shape, except for interior, fully equipped and woooo hooo factory 16 inch wheels, finally! The top of the 6.2 is sitting in the interior, I was tempted for about 10 minutes but the 6.2 is coming out and a nice slightly built 454 is going in. First it will be carbed and keeping the 700r then down the road I will convert it to TBI with 480le over the winter. I have a complete BB/480le tbi set up sitting in a old uhaul truck.

I am doing a down and dirty swap to a 454 and getting this thing on the road.

What do I need to do to get the dual tank diesel set up to a manual gas engine mounted fuel pump?

Plus any problems connecting the BB to a 700r other than the TV cable stuff. Any suggestion on how to set that TV cable set up.

I like the hydro boost brake system, the way heavy duty cooling system and that the cab had complete A/C. Plus it has a 3:73 14 bolt rear, no tag on glove box sio don't know if it is posi.

help guys. Is this swap obvious or are there hidden problems. I will pull the fuel tanks and clean them out but I should be able to use the stock sending units if they are in good shape. My BB fuel pump and a return line, figure out to hook it up or go with a regular non return fuel pump? No problems with vapor lock. I have a set of exhaust heat shields I will install off of a truck that had a utility bed, they seems to have vapor lock problems because of the utility bed and dual exhaust. The shields help but the return line actually fixes it .

I want to do this swap as cheap as possible using what I have qnd with the least amount of work because of medical issue's

Thanks for any and all idea's, suggestions and thoughts that fit my program! Thanks in advance

Steve
qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:44 AM   #2
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Re: fuel system questions 82 3/4 diesel to bb carb/tbi

Pull the tanks and clean them, the Senders should work fine. There will be a fuel return line from the engine you will need to plug.

The trans will not shift right behind a gas engine. Diesels use different torque converters and the valve bodies are set up for diesel shift points.

Other than that, you have To use the power steering pump off the diesel to run the hydro boost. Find an ignition sourced 12v for the distributor and you should be golden.
Posted via Mobile Device
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 03:19 PM   #3
qksilver

Re: fuel system questions 82 3/4 diesel to bb carb/tbi

pretty much what i thought. A friend of mine owns a trans shop but I haven't talked to him yet
qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote