The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-08-2018, 01:47 PM   #1
philB

Question towing info

not sure on what to use to tow a 67 c10 with auto trans, have access to front two wheel dolly but not sure about the auto trans if the drive shaft has to be removed. about 65-70 miles travel, or do I need a full trailer for the tow.
thanks in advance of reply as I know this is the place to get the right answer

Last edited by LockDoc; 04-08-2018 at 03:09 PM.
philB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 01:57 PM   #2
Barnfind46

Re: towing info

If you tow with a dolly the drive shaft will need to come out. not shure about the width of the truck verses dolly and the weight. That being said, I would not tow anything larger than a small car with a dolly. I think the safe thing to do is use a trailer and make sure the tow vehicle is up to the task weight wise. Classic trucks are fun. Please don't invite catastrophe by cutting corners. Your life is worth more than the few dollars you save on the rental.

Last edited by LockDoc; 04-08-2018 at 03:09 PM.
Barnfind46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 03:43 PM   #3
Mts67C10K20

X2
Things get ugly fast on the road
A trailer good straps and a truck up to the task
Mts67C10K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:52 PM   #4
philB

thanks for info on towing etc, will use a trailer for the 67 c10 short box,
Old 04-09-2018, 12:21 PM   #5
LH Lead-Foot

I agree with using a trailer to tow your C10. With and automatic transmission, there is no rear pump to circulate the red juice to lubricate the internals. It will burn up the complete tranny unless the driveshaft is removed.

In the mid 90's, I was the only Isuzu tech at a dealer. A guy who owned a large company showed up, bought a new 96 Trooper LS with leather and the 4' sunroof. He hooked to the back of a Greyhound bus sized motorhome and left for Florida. He started it up, put into gear, it jumped 2 feet and stopped. Long story short, with the driveshaft removed, came into the dealer with his tail between his legs. It was real hard to pull the 4X4 auto as everything was melted. It took a saws-all to get the external wiring harness off while dropping it down. Wow!

Only the early to mid 60's era had the power glide with a pump on the output shaft and in front both. They were popular with "Late Model" racing crowd as with a heavy duty rear drum, shaft pin and direct drive that eliminated the torque convertor. They simply ran piping from the pump pressure tap, inside to a ball valve and dumped into the pan. Rev it up with valve open, then close when the flag is dropped. Then his driveshaft started to twisting out on the straight, out of the turns.
Built engines, V-gate shifters, rock-crushers and power glides for racing, just to watch something else fail or blowup during the early 70's. It's fun for someone!
LH Lead-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:59 PM   #6
philB

Thanks for response, and story as well, got the uhaul trailer lined up for the tow.