The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2016, 05:22 AM   #1
LT7A

Crossing the Double Yellow Line

It seemed about time for me to confess the predicament I've gotten myself into. I bought truck one -- '82Chevy, std cab, std bed, .75Ton, yellow on white, Trailering Special. Lifted 3-4 inches (body lift) on 35s. It's been sitting for 9 years and the neglect shows. Its got the goods with a 454, Turbo400, Dana60, and the 14bolt. The plan is to clean it up a little, without trying to get it perfect, and be able to take it out for mellow trips into mud, dirt, gravel, sand, and when I just want to travel above the general populace.

So what's the predicament? Well..... it goes like this. I found a truck with a similar paint scheme in Portland and was going to take a look... just in case. The guy didn't call back for a few days, but then seemed like he was willing to deal, so I drove back to Portland and cut a good deal on this second truck. Truck one has "drainage" holes at the back cab corners and "vents" under the rear window. The front fenders have been "trimmed, eased, radiused" either by the PO or previous weather. Well Truck two has all that stuff relatively intact, including a box that has been under a canopy for years. So, over time, swap the bodies, and sell off the unneeded parts from Truck2, right???

So Truck2 is an '83GMC .5Ton, yellow on white, 305, Turbo350, std cab std bed, and I'm thinking it's perfect for a donor rig, especially at the price. So, heading back from Portland to Seattle, somewhere south of Kelso I get to thinking that this truck rides really nice. And the 305 pulls way better than expected. And it doesn't mind freeway speeds, even with the Turbo350. And I like how it looks. And it has cool details. And I can't take it apart. And I have to keep it. And I have to lower it. And now I have two yellow trucks. And I don't even really need one!

Anybody else ever bought a parts rig and had this happen? I don't know if I'm more frustrated or excited, ha. But what do you do? The 4x4 will stay rougher and the little truck will get lowered.

I'm in it all the way now, named them. The GMC is Lo Yeller and the Chevy is Amarillo, probably 'Rillo for short. Means yellow in Spanish, is a city in TX and has a good history of being used as a special model name by GMC (think '79 1/2T Step w/ factory 454).

So there's my confession. More fun to come. And more pix.
Attached Images

LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 05:54 AM   #2
TheCougarine

Re: Crossing the Double Yellow Line

Not had a parts truck turn into something to keep but I have had a project truck turn into a daily driver, they're almost addictive. Looks like two cool trucks, I really like that yellow.
TheCougarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:59 PM   #3
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCougarine View Post
Not had a parts truck turn into something to keep but I have had a project truck turn into a daily driver, they're almost addictive. Looks like two cool trucks, I really like that yellow.
Thanks man, I think I'm going to stay with the yellow. I grew up in the 80s and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't influenced by The Fall Guy so I had been planning on eventually going with a similar paint scheme -- but the yellow/white has grown on me, especially with the black trim between. I know what you mean about almost addictive.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:39 PM   #4
Drizzle

Funny how easy that works out.
Drizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:37 AM   #5
Gregski
Post Whore

well, what happened?
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:32 PM   #6
MrFinland

Thanks LT7A, that you share yours threads. You have now two nice trucks. I´d like to see more pictures of your trucks.
MrFinland is offline   Reply With Quote